FeelingLonely98

Hi LS – I converted to a 100% plant-based diet three months ago. 4 Weeks later I had blood work done to see where my levels were. My Dr. wanted a B12 and iron blood test as well. I had those about a week ago. The results showed that my B12 was low at 184. The normal range is 200-900. I read that long-term B12 deficiency can cause some pretty wicked ailments. My Dr. said to start B12, vitamin D, and iron supplements and get tested for B12 again in a month.

I know there is little to no B12 in plant foods. Am I resigned to supplements the rest of my life if I want to stay on a a vegan diet?

What are the experiences of other LS members?

Thanks, FL98

I'm not a vegan but I have noticed as I've aged that apparently my body doesn't absorb nutrients as efficiently so I've begun taking supplements to assist. I don't take the B12 every day but usually three times a week. If I go without (forget or am traveling), I notice a reduced energy level after a couple of weeks. It seems tied to B12 from my experiments. The body is an interesting machine.

For a vegan, I imagine there are natural appropriate sources of higher levels of B12, so maybe a dietary adjustment could help. A fortified breakfast cereal comes to mind. I know my mom used to read those labels religiously when I was young and the FDA first mandated them.

It just occurred to me that I have greatly reduced my intake of breakfast cereal because dairy (any form of milk) began to cause digestive issues a couple years ago....ah, light bulb :)

If you take an iron tablet - I suggest the slow release type. It helps fight the constipation that other iron supplements cause.

• Like 1
whichwayisup
Hi LS – I converted to a 100% plant-based diet three months ago. 4 Weeks later I had blood work done to see where my levels were. My Dr. wanted a B12 and iron blood test as well. I had those about a week ago. The results showed that my B12 was low at 184. The normal range is 200-900. I read that long-term B12 deficiency can cause some pretty wicked ailments. My Dr. said to start B12, vitamin D, and iron supplements and get tested for B12 again in a month.

I know there is little to no B12 in plant foods. Am I resigned to supplements the rest of my life if I want to stay on a a vegan diet?

What are the experiences of other LS members?

Thanks, FL98

I have a B12 Defiency too. I get monthly B12 shots at the Nurses station at my Dr's office. Your Dr should be giving you these shots to get your levels up quicker, pills don't work as quickly.

• Author
FeelingLonely98

Thanks everyone. Never knew of the b12 shot. When I go back and see my Dr in a month I'll ask her about the shot.

whichwayisup

You're welcome. I have to say, I'm shocked that your Dr didn't mention the B12 shots to get your levels up quicker. Anyway, once your levels go up, you'll feel so much better, have more energy and feel good.

• Author
FeelingLonely98
You're welcome. I have to say, I'm shocked that your Dr didn't mention the B12 shots to get your levels up quicker. Anyway, once your levels go up, you'll feel so much better, have more energy and feel good.

Her assistant sent me a letter with the results and the recommendation to take the supplements followed by the retake of the labs. I never saw her personally after the results came in. (Maybe this is a new thing - to send this type of correspondence by mail?)

I actually thought it was rather odd - would she have mailed the results if they indicated I had a serious disease? Hmmm

whichwayisup
Her assistant sent me a letter with the results and the recommendation to take the supplements followed by the retake of the labs. I never saw her personally after the results came in. (Maybe this is a new thing - to send this type of correspondence by mail?)

I actually thought it was rather odd - would she have mailed the results if they indicated I had a serious disease? Hmmm

Something to ask the Dr. Where I am they don't mail stuff.. Either another appt. is booked to talk about results or a phone call happens. (Im in Canada.)

Call your Dr, book an appt so you can tell him you want B12 shots and get a prescription. It's cheap, just FYI.

• Author
FeelingLonely98
Call your Dr, book an appt so you can tell him you want B12 shots and get a prescription. It's cheap, just FYI.

Definitely! TY, FL98

I've taken loads of supplements for many years. I don't always eat properly so it's my insurance policy and I have to say that it's paid off. I don't get sick and my most recent blood tests for my annual physical were excellent.

• Like 1