Why am I so lazy?????

I'm so sick of being tired and lazy. I don't want to do ANYTHING but sleep and eat. I'm on antidepressants and they have helped but I still don't feel like MOVING. The thought of exercising makes me want to cry. Yet I can't go on like this. I am so fat. What am I going to do?????

Philosoraptor

The first step is usually the hardest. Sometimes we just need to make ourselves get up and get going. Once your legs start moving it becomes easier.

lordWilhelm

Well, why do you feel depressed in the first place? Is there some particular reason that you can point to, or you just feel like that in general? Also, what do you usually eat?

Is the weather nice where you are this time of year?

Sunshine is great for depression, as is physical activity. If you just want to sit, try sitting in the sun the first week, and then taking a walk in the sun next week.

Do you have a boyfriend? Or any good prospects? Nothing makes you want to sit on the couch like being totally out of the game.

chevybaby24

I think laziness has to do with being scared of what is out in the real world, I have to say that I have asked myself the same question! I used to be so lazy all I ever did was lay in bed and watch tv, I wasn't fat, but simply lazy I wouldn't even hardly ever leave the house, and I found out I had depression, I take celexa now and it works awesome, I'm still kinda lazy but not near as much as I used to be, once you force yourself to get up and get out there slowly you will casually become more productive, its a matter of getting up the nerve to make yourself go outside, go for a walk, just anything. You can do it I promise!

• Author
Do you have a boyfriend? Or any good prospects? Nothing makes you want to sit on the couch like being totally out of the game.

You're telling me!!! I have no boyfriend. I have such a hard time meeting guys because I'm overweight. And when I do meet someone it doesn't work out. I had a HUGE let down a year ago and I'm still not over him. For me, it's not a matter of moving on by going out or going online to meet someone else. I have a pretty face but being heavy is the worst curse you can have, in new York at least.

I Do try to lose weight!!! I just lose very slowly and I get depressed because it takes so long. For instance, I just lost 15 pounds in 3 1/2 months. That's the fast part. I lost most of that the first month and not much since. Now I feel depressed because I dont feel much progress is being made, I'm hungry even though i am eating a healthy amount of calories. Im type 1 diabetic so i take insulin which often gives me an appetite I sit around and think about this guy and how wonderful it would have been if something in my life worked out. I can't take it anymore!!!

There are websites specifically for people looking for overweight partners. You might even be too thin for some guys on those websites. The fact that you have a pretty face will work to your advantage.

As for exercise, if you live in NYC you can walk lots of places. Just start by walking around your block. Then add a block a day or have a destination. Once you get out there, you will automatically feel better and walk farther than you had originally planned. Pretty soon you will feel "off" if you don't get out and walk.

Perhaps you need to have your insulin dose adjusted if it is making you hungry. My sister has type 1 diabetes and she is thin.

As your mood improves you should be able to ditch the antidepressants. Weight gain is a common side effect.

You're telling me!!! I have no boyfriend. I have such a hard time meeting guys because I'm overweight. And when I do meet someone it doesn't work out. I had a HUGE let down a year ago and I'm still not over him. For me, it's not a matter of moving on by going out or going online to meet someone else. I have a pretty face but being heavy is the worst curse you can have, in new York at least.

I Do try to lose weight!!! I just lose very slowly and I get depressed because it takes so long. For instance, I just lost 15 pounds in 3 1/2 months. That's the fast part. I lost most of that the first month and not much since. Now I feel depressed because I dont feel much progress is being made, I'm hungry even though i am eating a healthy amount of calories. Im type 1 diabetic so i take insulin which often gives me an appetite I sit around and think about this guy and how wonderful it would have been if something in my life worked out. I can't take it anymore!!!

It's a curse everywhere, trust me. Just do the best you can to get out and meet people, if you can develop another crush on someone it might help get you motivated. If you live in New York I might even have someone for you, he lives out in western Massachusetts. Have to get to 50 posts before I can tell you about him though.

whichwayisup
I'm so sick of being tired and lazy. I don't want to do ANYTHING but sleep and eat. I'm on antidepressants and they have helped but I still don't feel like MOVING. The thought of exercising makes me want to cry. Yet I can't go on like this. I am so fat. What am I going to do?????

Ask a friend, a family member or a neighbour to walk with you everyday. Seriously, I know the last thing you feel like is exercising - So, start off slowly. Once you get into the habit of it, you'll feel better. Infact, I know when I get too lazy to walk or exercise I feel blah and don't have motivation to get up and go but all it takes is a few days of brisk walking, I feel so much better. Phsyically and mentally.

Take this one day at a time. Focus on one thing at a time. Don't think about you losing weight at this moment, the step before losing weight is getting mentally prepared for it.

Start off by doing yoga. It's simple and easy, it's good for your mind and body..The mental part of you will enjoy this. Even 5-10 minutes of deep breathing and doing stretches will help you feel better..And it'll motivate you to do more.

Hope this helps.

RiverRunning

OP, I was 130 pounds overweight in 2005. I'll even throw out a link of some of my progress...the photo in the sweatshirt is when I was around 210 pounds. The other's from when I was around 290 (not the best picture, but I didn't exactly go out of my way to get photographed back then). I'll eventually dig and find a better one. But rest assured that entire photo is -all- me.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/404/fatterme.jpg/

I started out on a stationary exercise bike in my basement. One day I told myself I was going to ride for just 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, I felt weak. But I persisted: I thought I could add another 5. Eventually, I finished a 25-minute work-out.

That first step is the hardest - often because it's so often born out of a fear of failure. OP, you will stumble many times. You must learn to forgive yourself. There is always ANOTHER day. If you eat a bag of chocolate, you hold off a bit for the rest of the day and compensate by working out a little more for a week or so.

Vow to get in just 15 minutes of exercise today. March in place. Do calisthenics - sit-ups, jumping jacks, whatever you can do. After 15 minutes, if you feel you can do more, keep going! It can be hard motivating yourself if from the get-go you think that you're going to be running or working out for an hour or two. But that first step really is the big decision-maker in whether or not you will move.

I can hear you on how hard it can be to be overweight or obese...no matter where you live. But change is very much in your reach.

At 295 pounds, I was wearing size 2X unisex shirts and size 24 - 26 pants. Today, at 210 pounds, I can fit into a woman's "Large" shirt through most retailers and I'm in size 14 long pants in most brands. Even my undie size went from being 10 - 11 to being around 7. :D

You CAN get there. You know what? You need to find other focuses too, though. Have you ever had your cholesterol/glucose/blood pressure taken? I've found a lot of pharmacies will have one day a month where they will test all of those (I had my BP/cholesterol/glucose taken for $34 at my pharmacy...the total cholesterol tests are usually cheaper, usually just $10. The full cholesterol blood-work is about $30).

Most people who lose weight and do it successfully can do the following:

1. Forgive themselves. "I ate too many chips today. That's okay. Tomorrow, I will eat better. I will shave off 200 calories from my daily intake."

2. Weigh themselves at least once a week. Otherwise, take their measurements, etc.

3. Track their food intake and exercise (Look up Spark - GREAT tool. I use it to track all my eating/exercise. Really, that only takes out about 10 minutes from my day).

4. Go with a food/weight loss plan they can do for life. You will see some people on 1200 calorie a day diets, working out 2 hours or more a day. That's RIDICULOUS. I'm eating 2k calories a day and I burn roughly 1k calories a day through exercise. For me, that's about an hour of working out (elliptical trainer/running). I can burn almost 500 calories by walking for an hour.

If you are significantly heavier than I am, you will certainly be burning much more through exercise.

I burn about 950 calories an hour on an elliptical trainer now. When I was about 265, I could burn 1,250 an hour.

You can message me any time you would like, OP. I'm still on this journey (have about 40 - 50 more pounds I need to lose). It is a great blessing to be able to help any others along the way.

But you do have to figure out what this is about. Most folks who lose weight just to look hotter typically gain it back. For me, it's about the physical fitness achievements (ran a 5k in the gym the other day! A very slow one, but I ran it!) and the glucose/cholesterol/blood pressure numbers. Looking good is just a side effect.

For what it's worth, men are much more responsive to me now.

For what it's worth, men are much more responsive to me now.

Good for you River. I'm sure they are, that's a nice improvement. Hope you are handling it ok, I remember how much I got freaked out the first time the girl from high school who wasn't interested before saw the new me and started giving me that look.

RiverRunning

It's one of the things that I hate, actually. It's funny how your luck can be TOTAL CRAP when you're really overweight. Suddenly you lose weight and guys, jobs and people are flying at you like flies to poo. They go from treating you like crap or ignoring your existence until you're a more 'pleasing' size. It's absolutely disgusting. I've had crushes on guys who have ranged from 120 pounds to 350+ pounds. All colors, all heights - some significantly shorter (including dating), some significantly taller.

I will never forget a waitress telling me that I needed to order a salad, then insisting that my boyfriend at the time didn't need one. Humiliating, humiliating experience.

Then people wonder why the overweight are so often depressed and why they're so often paralyzed into doing nothing. Fear of failure. We often have few, if any people actually supporting us, other than making derogatory comments. Anyone else get remarks like, "Oh, you'll never keep it going" or "this diet will go the same way as all the rest of yours have?"

Especially for women, it's a blow from every single side. Jobs, interpersonal relationships in general, pay, career advancement, etc.

I even went to the doctor about my birth control pills a month or so ago. I just got the fat talk the entire time. Even handed me papers on how to lose weight. I guess she lost that record showing how much weight I've lost since I last saw her.

I just get tired of 'you're fat' being linked to every single possible medical condition.

OK, I could go on forever. /end rant :D

• Like 1