Swimming versus Yoga for exercise

Anytime I've tried a yoga class I usually get sick afterwards. At first I thought it was due to dehydration or eating too close to the class start time. But no matter what I did (properly hydrate and refuel after with a protein snack), for some weird reason I'd still get sick for a few days after a class. This wasn't after weeks, just one or two classes. And it happened multiple times. Yet when I swim I don't have any side effects like dehydration or such. I just feel relaxed and sleep better.

Any regular yoga practitioners ever experience side effects (other than muscle strain) afterward that were cause for concern? Is it that my body doesn't like yoga or what? Everyone I know does it now and raves about it. I guess if I were to try it again I'd start with the most simple form of Hatha; gentle stretching poses.

Edited by writergal
whichwayisup

Never heard of this..

I do yoga but I do it at home or with a friend. Too wussy to go to a class.. Maybe they work you too hard there? Why not try doing a yoga DVD and go slow, at your own pace, see how you feel afterwards?

• Author
Never heard of this..

I do yoga but I do it at home or with a friend. Too wussy to go to a class.. Maybe they work you too hard there? Why not try doing a yoga DVD and go slow, at your own pace, see how you feel afterwards?

Funny you should mention a yoga DVD. I happen to a Hatha-level one that's collecting dust underneath my tv. I'm too wussy to do yoga at home alone for fear I'll pull a neck, back or leg muscle or snap my spine (kidding...sort of) by accident.

I don't worry about form as much as I maybe should when I swim. I was a swimmer in high school (won medals) and then got lazy with my fitness when I went to college. But now at 41, I want to get back into a regular fitness routine without having to break the bank. I play tennis already and swim not as often, but I want to figure out why I can't handle yoga. Weird.

There are certain poses that could be causing the sick feeling. Any inverted pose such as downward dog where your head is below your heart could cause it. Also if you have low blood pressure.

Here is something else I found interesting, rather than try to articulate it I'm going to copy and paste. Hope you don't mind. :)

"In some cases nausea is actually related to direct stimulation of the vagus nerve . This nerve is responsible for gastric function and goes from the brainstem to the neck, chest, and abdomen. For example, during downward dog, if the head is lifted forward during the posture, the compression on the neck can push on the vagus nerve causing nausea. Keeping the neck from arching will help alleviate this pressure."

I never knew that and I have sometimes felt sick after doing yoga, I'm going to pay attention to see if I do that.

I love swimming but yoga is my thing. Most days I do it twice a day. I just love the way it makes me feel.

• Like 1

Well I do not found any person yet who have experienced any effects on body by getting yoga as it is very good exercise for stress and also helpful in weight loss . On the other hand swimming is also a good and best cardio exercise which strengthens your body . If you feel so problem and effects on body by swimming then you may continue to do that exercise .

I would say swimming is much better for burning calories than yoga. Yoga is more for toning. Basically, one is aerobic (uses oxygen) and burns fat, the other is anaerobic (doesn't use oxygen) and builds muscle. Like jogging is aerobic, and weight lifting is anaerobic. I'm sure google could explain this much better than i can! ;)

Edited by nanbullen

My first experience with Yoga was during my junior year of high school. My coach and I decided to eliminate morning practices and insert yoga in their place. We thought it would be an extension of stretching, a big help towards increasing my swimming efficiency (it was also very funny to watch my coach lose his balance and pitch over onto the floor).

Both of us really enjoyed the experience, but ultimately decided that we were moving on to try other things. I think this decision had to do with the instructor and the class atmosphere. The class was designed for an older crowd who wanted a good stretch to start their day. While I also wanted that stretch, I decided it was something I could do on my own, at home.

I bought a yoga dvd last November, but still need to try it. I've had this problem with one tape that I was given years ago - there were fast movements that involved rocking back-and-forth, getting up fast, bending over, crouching, back to rolling back-and-forth.

The first time, back in 1997, I made it through the whole workout, felt great muscle-wise, but dizzy otherwise, and didn't realize that it was the yoga. I just thought I'd tried too much, too soon (I'd added this on, after a cardio/weight workout). I tried the workout again, in 2006, and I was dizzy after ten minutes. I'm fine with Yoga for Weight Loss.

I miss swimming - that was recommended to me because of my knee problems, when I was a teenager. I've been avoiding most exercise, because of other issues, and dizziness that comes and goes.