Is once a week personal training enough?

watermelonjuice

If I have personal training (for weights and resistance training) once a week, on top of twice weekly gym time (cardio) on average, would the personal training make any difference?

My goal in having personal training is to tone up but I don't have time for more than once a week of it.

Does it make sense for me to continue this once a week personal training or give up completely?

Personal trainer should be like a teacher. If you have a teacher teach you math, then after you have learned it, you can do it on your on. Many people pay for a personal trainer as like a teacher who stands behind you at home and tells you to do your homework, because if he's not there you are too lazy to do the homework yourself.

• Author
watermelonjuice
Personal trainer should be like a teacher. If you have a teacher teach you math, then after you have learned it, you can do it on your on. Many people pay for a personal trainer as like a teacher who stands behind you at home and tells you to do your homework, because if he's not there you are too lazy to do the homework yourself.

You're right. I lack the discipline to do weights and resistance for more than an hour.

But my question is really whether once a week of such personal training works or should I just quit it completely?

Tuff to answer. Yes you can lift once a week and get benefit. Not a lot, but some. But if that is all you do, you should be lifting key exercises, like bench press, shoulder press, squat, lat pulldowns... hitting the entire body. If you aren't doing that, it's probably a waste.

• Author
watermelonjuice
Tuff to answer. Yes you can lift once a week and get benefit. Not a lot, but some. But if that is all you do, you should be lifting key exercises, like bench press, shoulder press, squat, lat pulldowns... hitting the entire body. If you aren't doing that, it's probably a waste.

My personal training targets the entire body though I want to emphasize on my arms and abs.

The underarms are the toughest part, I've realized!

Can't you do another weights day without your trainer? I've always heard that if you don't work a muscle again by the third day, you lose muscle. I do my endurance (light weight/high rep) workouts every other day. Occasionally I will miss two days, but I generally feel terrible if that is the case. My body craves exercise now. It just becomes a habit.

• Author
watermelonjuice
Can't you do another weights day without your trainer? I've always heard that if you don't work a muscle again by the third day, you lose muscle. I do my endurance (light weight/high rep) workouts every other day. Occasionally I will miss two days, but I generally feel terrible if that is the case. My body craves exercise now. It just becomes a habit.

Oh my! Lose muscles by the third day?

My work hours don't allow for a lot of time to work out so I tend to hit the cardio machines. And I really don't like doing weights on my own. I find it difficult to do multiple sets and all the exercises. :o

I think if your trying to build muscle you have to do it more regularly but if your goal is to tone I believe the quality of your workouts are more important.

That being said, the more quantity, quality, WO's the better.

If you have a personal trainer this is a question they should be answering.

Keep working out :)

If I have personal training (for weights and resistance training) once a week, on top of twice weekly gym time (cardio) on average, would the personal training make any difference?

My goal in having personal training is to tone up but I don't have time for more than once a week of it.

Does it make sense for me to continue this once a week personal training or give up completely?

Anything is better than nothing. if you're like most people, you'll start enjoying your workouts after a while and be eager to workout more.

Giving up is NOT an option!

You're right. I lack the discipline to do weights and resistance for more than an hour.

But my question is really whether once a week of such personal training works or should I just quit it completely?

It's the intensity of the training that matters, not the length. Talk to your personal trainer about this. Heavy enough weight, fast enough running are key rather than ambling on some exercise machine for an hour wasting your time completely.