23 days as a Vegan - tips?

FeelingLonely98

So, in an attempt to be an even healthier person I have been on a vegan diet. (no meat, no dairy, no eggs -- 100% plant based)

I've always loved vegetables and fruits so it has not been hard. But is this something I can keep up long-term, or forever?

Soooo, any tips out there from anyone who is a vegan? What about when I go out to eat? Is it a salad or nothing? Or eat at a friends house? What is the best way to shop?

How do I make sure I am getting all the nutrients and vitamins and minerals I need?

I've been making some delicious soups and meatless pasta sauces over whole wheat pasta. And of course salads and fruits.

I've lost over 10 lbs and find I am not as hungry in between meals as I used to be.

Thanks, FL98

PEACE :)

I think eggs are really really good eatin'. In fact, five topline chickens were just added to the yard.

Get some free-rangers or I give you no more advice.

whichwayisup

Legumes, beans, potatoes, lima beans, pasta, couscous and other grains are great. Also take supplements. multivitimans and minerals this way you don't miss what you should be getting. Infact, along with the above, buy B12 vitamins and calicium pills.

There are alternatives too, egg free pastas - Rice pastas etc (make sure the pastas you eat don't have egg in them if you are a total vegan).

Please do regular updates, I'm curious to know how you feel along the way. My husband and I have a good friend who is trying to be vegan now, he was vegetarian and recently chose to be vegan.

Beans and legumes are your friends -- high in complex carbs and protein. Also, quinoa is a super-grain, unusual in that it contains complete protein.

Pick up a copy of Deborah Madison's Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone. Yes, some of the recipes are not vegan but you can easily adapt them -- switch cream for coconut milk, cheese for soy cheese, etc. Also, the Uncheese Cookbook (Amazon.com: The Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook: Create Delicious Dairy-Free Cheese Substititues and Classic "Uncheese" Dishes (9781570671517): Jo Stepaniak: Books) has lots of good receipes that are dairy-free and high in protein.

• Author
FeelingLonely98

Thanks everyone!!

Nothing will benefit human health and increase the chances for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet. - Albert Einstein :confused:

• Like 3
AmEricanWomann

If you are planning to go out to eat you can do some research on the internet and see if you can find either vegan restaurants or maybe even better just regular restaurants that have a selection of vegan choices. If they dont label any of their food vegan, look to see if they have a menu, then if you see things you like, you can call the place before you get there and ask what the ingredients are and verify that they are indeed meat and dairy free.

If there's an item that appeals to you but has some non vegan ingredients, then you could ask if they make substitutions. That way you'll always have a wide assortment of food to eat without having to stick to just salads. However, the great thing about salads these days is that there seems to be a much wider selection now. Pretty much almost anything you can imagine can be part of a salad. Its not like years ago when a salad was pretty much iceberg lettuce, a sliced tomato and sliced carrots hiding under a sea of dressing.

For eating at home, again the internet is where its at. You can find thousands and thousands of vegan recipes and options for every taste and occasion. Good luck with it!

This one is especially important when it comes to nutrition. If you read up all the health benefits of eating "clean" or "vegan" you may begin to realize how important it is to eat well to keep you alive. Once you’ve read about all the health benefits, it will keep you motivated to continue eating healthy and not go back to meat or dairy, no matter the temptations.

• Author
FeelingLonely98

Thanks. Another thing is to find some new friends who are veg'n. It's not always easy going out with meat eaters. I'm newly single again and would love for the next woman I date to be veg'n. People don't have a V or M on their forehead so where might someone increase their chances of meeting other veg'ns? The only thiing I can think of is a veg'n restaurant.

(I read somewhere that veg'n means both vegan and vegetarian.)

Thanks. Another thing is to find some new friends who are veg'n. It's not always easy going out with meat eaters. I'm newly single again and would love for the next woman I date to be veg'n. People don't have a V or M on their forehead so where might someone increase their chances of meeting other veg'ns? The only thiing I can think of is a veg'n restaurant.

(I read somewhere that veg'n means both vegan and vegetarian.)

I'm vegetarian and find that I've often met other vegetarians among people who are generally interested in issues like politics, environment and social justice. So getting politically active might be one avenue :laugh: or try those kind of forums that were mentioned above and see if you can chat up a nice looking screen name :p

• Like 1

Here is a great vegan blog. I just love Gena.

Choosing Raw – vegan and raw recipes — A Celebration of Vegan and Raw Food

One of the most important things, to me, is to make sure you are getting enough protein. I eat a lot of seeds (flax, chia) beans and I drink smoothies with added protein. Eating out is a challenge but easy enough, I choose, rice, salads, steamed veggies, whole grains.

I've been a vegan for many years and I'd never eat any other way. It just feels so good!

Way to go on the weight loss!

Here is another great site - Dr. Joel Fuhrman Improves Health - Lose Weight Naturally | Reverse Diabetes | Prevent Heart Disease and Cancer | Lower Cholesterol

Edited by mercy
ThaWholigan

My dad was a vegan for a number of years (he eats fish again now, like me). He was always very fit and energetic, often taunting me that he can beat me in a race (little did he know I didn't care :D). He did get a little bit smaller though, which is probably why he started eating fish again.

I have no plans to go vegan, although I have a close friend who wants to do so and is encouraging me because he feels that eating animals "isn't good for ones soul". I simply need more money as I find it difficult to even afford food at times, although I buy lots of veg, I live in a house where we can't afford most things so food can be stretched a lot.

• 2 weeks later...
thepedestrian
Thanks everyone!!

Nothing will benefit human health and increase the chances for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet. - Albert Einstein :confused:

Sorry, not exactly true.

Also stay away from Soy until further research is done. Your a man and it might mess with your estrogen levels.

Also this is an attempt to be more healthy... why not just cut out the unhealthy foods you are eating instead of going vegan?

Edit: I'm not trying to talk you out of going Vegan, do it if you want. Just curious. :)

Edited by thepedestrian

Try this cookbook out, I've tried maybe a dozen recipes and so far they all ROCK:

Veganomicon: The Ultimate Vegan Cookbook

The biggest issue I has in my stint as a Vegan is getting enough protein. I absolutely HATE soy products too (well, in general, some of it's ok)

Also, it helps to take certain vitamins.

DON'T EAT JUNK FOOD. My vegan friends all ate like crap because they thought there weren't any other options. Oh, and they were sick all of the time too with horrible self-victimizing attitudes. I then kicked their ass and taught them how to cook and they are better off now. It's true you can't just go to a 7-eleven and eat healthy as a vegan, and there's only a few decent prepackaged foods in super markets, but a bowl of goddamn peas with a small dab of margarine and some lemon pepper is also goddamn easy and pretty good for you. It takes more work to prepare you own food, sure, but is more rewarding all around.

Also, depending on where you live, there may be many options available for eating out. Many places will also make a dish vegan if you ask, they are required to. Say you have an allergy if they give you the strange WTF look, they will be sure to not **** around and risk a lawsuit if they think you'll get sick. I live in southeaster Michigan and there are MORE THEN ENOUGH options here for dining out, just be prepared to have to do some research. I went to NYC a while ago and it's much easier. I imagine if you are in the middle of nowhere it'll be harder.

Just remember to GET YOU PROTEINS. I got sick because of this, don't **** around with your body. Some of us could probably be vegan if we tried really hard, but we aren't all built the same, so listen to your body and don't beat yourself up about it if you suddenly get the urge to pounce on some bloody red meat. If you are blood type O then I really think being a vegan is much harder because of this, because they are considered the meat eaters compared to other blood types.

Edited by brokenTom

I just wanted to commend you on your being precise and saying you were "on a vegan diet" instead of claiming to be vegan. I completely respect the diet, but not the ideology, and it's cool you differentiated them.

I originally wanted to know how you "became a virgin" for 23 days.

damn speed readng :laugh::laugh::laugh:

We do mostly fish, some poultry but very little meat, especially red meat in our home but there are some great meat substitutes out there. Unfortunately I only know them by their brand names & I don't think we are supposed to post those are we?

Edited by oldguy
HeavenOrHell

I've been vegan for nearly 20 years, for ethical reasons :)

These days there are veggie places to eat out with vegan options, I'm in the UK and we even have totally vegan places to eat out, London is full of them, spoilt for choice :) Supermarkets stock vegan stuff these days, I get my sweetened soya milk there, and margarine for example, cheaply, my latest supermarket find was chocolate chip orange cookies and Millionaire's shortbread, vegan jam doughnuts too, been buying them a few years now :) Oreos in the States are vegan, double check though as maybe they're not vegan everywhere.

I don't know about there but there are a lot of health food shops here.

I don't live on salad at all, have salad now and again, I make lasagnes, casseroles, roasts, flans, stir fries, pasta, shepherd's pie (not sure what you call it there), stews, soups and a whole lot more, and plenty of cake and dessert, yes, I have a very sweet tooth, my cakes rise better than non vegan cakes :D I make sticky toffee pudding, chocolate cake, choc orange cake, lemon cake, choc tart, choc cheesecake, choc pudding, choc fridge cake, raspberry cheesecake, choc cheesecake, treacle tart, chocolate viennese whirls, brownies..No-one knows the difference, they don't seem vegan, if you see what I mean.

There are HUGE range of meat substitutes, loads of different sausages and burgers, and I love seitan (nearest thing to meat I think, texture wise), also soya mince is a good sub, I use tofu to make flavoured sauces for lasagnes for example.

I'm sure my partner said Florida is a veggie haven, or was it somewhere else?! :laugh: I'll ask him!

If you're on facebook, just type in 'vegan' and a load of vegan groups will come up, they're full of useful advice :)

So, in an attempt to be an even healthier person I have been on a vegan diet. (no meat, no dairy, no eggs -- 100% plant based)

I've always loved vegetables and fruits so it has not been hard. But is this something I can keep up long-term, or forever?

Soooo, any tips out there from anyone who is a vegan? What about when I go out to eat? Is it a salad or nothing? Or eat at a friends house? What is the best way to shop?

How do I make sure I am getting all the nutrients and vitamins and minerals I need?

I've been making some delicious soups and meatless pasta sauces over whole wheat pasta. And of course salads and fruits.

I've lost over 10 lbs and find I am not as hungry in between meals as I used to be.

Thanks, FL98

PEACE :)

HeavenOrHell

You don't have to stop eating junk food just cos you're vegan, but like anyone else; everything in moderation, so you get a balanced diet.

The biggest issue I has in my stint as a Vegan is getting enough protein. I absolutely HATE soy products too (well, in general, some of it's ok)

Also, it helps to take certain vitamins.

DON'T EAT JUNK FOOD. My vegan friends all ate like crap because they thought there weren't any other options. Oh, and they were sick all of the time too with horrible self-victimizing attitudes. I then kicked their ass and taught them how to cook and they are better off now. It's true you can't just go to a 7-eleven and eat healthy as a vegan, and there's only a few decent prepackaged foods in super markets, but a bowl of goddamn peas with a small dab of margarine and some lemon pepper is also goddamn easy and pretty good for you. It takes more work to prepare you own food, sure, but is more rewarding all around.

Also, depending on where you live, there may be many options available for eating out. Many places will also make a dish vegan if you ask, they are required to. Say you have an allergy if they give you the strange WTF look, they will be sure to not **** around and risk a lawsuit if they think you'll get sick. I live in southeaster Michigan and there are MORE THEN ENOUGH options here for dining out, just be prepared to have to do some research. I went to NYC a while ago and it's much easier. I imagine if you are in the middle of nowhere it'll be harder.

Just remember to GET YOU PROTEINS. I got sick because of this, don't **** around with your body. Some of us could probably be vegan if we tried really hard, but we aren't all built the same, so listen to your body and don't beat yourself up about it if you suddenly get the urge to pounce on some bloody red meat. If you are blood type O then I really think being a vegan is much harder because of this, because they are considered the meat eaters compared to other blood types.

"Being vegan" involves a lot more than modified eating habits, it's a social and political movement. One cannot as a vegan use anything that steals life or labor from any living thing, so no leather, silk, wool, honey, and so on.

Actual vegans exist but they are a lot less common than people who "eat a vegan diet", which is usually code-speak for strict vegetarians.

HeavenOrHell

I know what being vegan is I've been one for 20 years :laugh: There are dietary vegans and vegans, I'm not just a dietary vegan.

"Being vegan" involves a lot more than modified eating habits, it's a social and political movement. One cannot as a vegan use anything that steals life or labor from any living thing, so no leather, silk, wool, honey, and so on.

Actual vegans exist but they are a lot less common than people who "eat a vegan diet", which is usually code-speak for strict vegetarians.

I know what being vegan is I've been one for 20 years :laugh: There are dietary vegans and vegans, I'm not just a dietary vegan.

Words mean things, and this word was specifically invented to distinguish dietary restrictions from "other restrictions", and the organisation which invented the word still exists.

HeavenOrHell

The Vegan Society still exists, yes. Anyone unclear what the word 'vegan' means can go and look it up there.

Words mean things, and this word was specifically invented to distinguish dietary restrictions from "other restrictions", and the organisation which invented the word still exists.
The Vegan Society still exists, yes. Anyone unclear what the word 'vegan' means can go and look it up there.

Amazingly I've had people argue that somehow "what they mean by vegan" actually meant anything. When I say watermelon I mean a small German car. I strongly suspect you are in the minority and that most "vegans" are in fact strict vegetarians or people who "follow a vegan diet".