How often do you workout?

I'm planning for post baby weight loss. I haven't gained that much weight (16 pounds, at 31 weeks) but I have about 10-15 pounds extra that I have on me when I got pregnant that I want to take off after the baby weight comes off.

Before I got pregnant I ran about 6 miles, 4 times per week. Now I am running (during pregnancy) 3 miles per day, 6 days a week. I am noticing that I am more effectively controlling my weight with shorter more frequent workouts then longer, less frequent ones. Of course I am not dieting or trying to lose weight right now so I don't know how effective that would be for actual weight LOSS.

So what does everyone think? How often do you work out and what do you find most effective?

I don't do cardio exersises, I work out with weights, so I guess this wont be revelent to you.

At the moment, I only do one exersise a day, but over the next few days, I'm going to start doing full workouts again. So obviously, doing a full workout every day would just lead to over training, so I'm planning on doing a full workout 3 to 4 times a week.

• Author
Run 2 miles 5 days a week. Weights at the gym 2 times a week (an hour). 3 sets of 50 push ups and sit ups most days.

Running is my most important exercise and have done it for decades.

So do you see better results with smaller more frequent workouts?

unless your a small build, u have to pretty much work out every day to have a good body.

I try to run most days, both outside and at the gym. I am about to start light weights, high rep, 3 days a week for toning.

I do about 5 - 10 minuts of abs every day.

I have a very curvy body type, therefore I need to do abs every day, to have a flat, nice stomach.

to have a ripped stomach with a female 4 pack, I would need to do half hour of abs a day. f*ck that though haha. I will settle with a flat stomach.

I love working out though - I just envision the great body I will havw the the 18 hours I am awake.

I do one-hour endurance (light weight/hi rep) weight workouts every other day. Love weights! I used to use heavier weights but kept injuring my joints. With lighter weights I get better results minus injuries.

On the other days I am supposed to walk half an hour to forty-five minutes but have only been doing it two days a week. I have been lazy because it's been cold. Weight has more to do with calories than exercise, so I try to keep my calories lower than if I were walking more. When the weather gets warmer I will have no excuses. I love walking outside. The fresh air and quick pace gives me a rush and lightens my mood. You can't be depressed doing that. I just need to do it more often.

Tracey Mallett has great DVDs for pre and post pregnancy workouts. She uses real women in her DVDs and in her books and they are very inspiring. She has two kids herself. Check out her website. I have quite a few of her DVDs and I've never been pregnant. They are actually fun but tough!

Dust, I've no idea why you feel the need to stalk certain threads with your asinine 'male jokes'. -.- I mean, it's fairly obvious that nobody's even responding to them. I probably shouldn't, either, but reading them just drives me batty, like watching American Pie's Stifler talk.

LB, I personally didn't see a difference in weight when I did smaller, more frequent workouts - I did however see a difference when I did smaller, more frequent meals.

• Like 1
ScreamingTrees
Dust, I've no idea why you feel the need to stalk certain threads with your asinine 'male jokes'. -.- I mean, it's fairly obvious that nobody's even responding to them. I probably shouldn't, either, but reading them just drives me batty, like watching American Pie's Stifler talk.

I think that the REAL question here is.. was the poop photo-worthy? I mean, was it a legendary turd? Would it make an elephant blush?

• Like 1

I work out 6 days a week. 1 hr cardio each day, 30 min weight lifting 5 days and every other week I double up and hike or run each afternoon. I work in a physically demanding job so I have to keep it up (wildland fire) but every winter I have to continue training. By controling my diet (calorie restriction/ high water intake) and staying faithful to my training regimine, I usually lose the weight in a few months. Its hard, but once it becomes a routine its just a part of your day. Try a great site : caloriecount.about.com

I do weights 2 times a week and I vary my cardio (two short 35 minute runs/elliptical), one 50 minute run. I do yoga once a week. I'm not sure what's best for weight loss, but the variation keeps me entertained.

I lift weights 5-6 times a week..I go heavy and keep it in the 10-12 rep range. Currently I'm doing an old school bodybuilding split..arms/back/shoulders/quads/hams. No cardio, I find it terribly boring.

It's all about the iron, baby! :D

• Like 1

I use my rowing machine or exercise bike a few nights a week, for around 40 minutes. That, combined with watching my portion sizes and sticking to 1200 calories a day (I'm losing weight atm) seems to be doing the trick just fine and my body is pretty great.

Aye. For me it is for my mental wellbeing, I love to feel good about myself and how I look. Call me vain, but my appearance is important to me and I feel much happier in my life overall when I can look in the mirror and feel I look great.

Health is another important one. I suffer from chronic pelvic pain syndrome, my bladder and urethral nerves malfunction and cause me massive amounts of pain, and regular urinary tract infections. It has been going on for seven years and I figure the less strain I can put on my body, the better. I don't need to be carrying around an extra stone or two, because it is extra strain and extra weight ontop of those organs. Plus the surgery I need is generally safer if you're at a healthy weight. So I've lost a lot quickly this year because I won't be able to exercise much at all in April/May when I have some stuff done, and I don't want to worry during that period about how fat I feel.

I aim for 5 days a week but something usually comes up and realistically I average closer to 4.

I do 4 days of heavy lifting + 3 mile jog, 1 day hiit.

In the summer months I also like to go on long easy runs on the weekends.

I don't do cardio exersises, I work out with weights, so I guess this wont be revelent to you.

False. I'd bet the farm that a woman who does only weight training will have significantly better results than one who does exclusively cardio. Of course the caveat to that is the weights must be reasonably heavy...

• Like 2
This is fine if you live in the Midwest or whatever

I lol'd at this. What exactly does this mean?

(and no, I don't live in the Midwest)

I work out 4 to 5 days per week. Mostly upperbody weight lifting. My knees are shot and I can only do lighter or body weights with legs. I rarely run now but rather bike or do super sets. Just be careful with the running, I used to run a ton.

I all but stopped running & started biking too because it was taking it's toll on my legs. I do light weight training & stretch after my cardio, when I'm warmed up instead of before. I've been involved in martial arts since I was very young & although I rarely compete in tournaments anymore I still workout & spare once or twice a week, so including that I exercise just about every day for about an hour, sometimes intensely but usually just enough to bring my recuperation up to a level where I'm breathing just hard enough to make carrying on a conversation difficult or when lifting I feel a healthy burn but I'm not too sore to move the next day :D

I exercise pretty much every day. I take a day off when my body begs for it, which is usually every 9 days or so. I'm borderline fanatic about exercise (yet I don't claim to have a perfect body, just a solid one). I run (3 miles) about 4-5 times a week. I also do some form of strength training every day, but I don't do heavy weights. I do higher repetition with relatively light weights, but it works for me. I do yoga or pilates about 2 times a week. I do an exercise video (just some aerobic/strength training combo) maybe once a week. Some of this overlaps in days because I exercise a lot.

I agree about how effective doing weights is. You can sculpt your body pretty quickly when you do that.

Exercise is the only way I can keep a decent body. I know that staying thin is more about how much you eat than how much you exercise. But for whatever reason, I can't just not eat very much to stay thin. If I don't exercise, I feel like eating...a lot. Exercise, for whatever reason, keeps my eating in check. Pretty good check, I'd say. Ten years ago, 2002, I was the same height and regularly weighed 101 lbs. Last time I weighed myself, I was 104. That was kinda low for me, though. I wouldn't be surprised to see 106 or 107 on the scale either. But I'd say basically I'm at 105. That's not bad, weight gain wise, for 10 years having passed. It's because of exercise!

I work out 6 times per week religiously (Mon-Sat). Sunday is my day off. I get up at 5:30AM and am at the gym by 6:30AM. I do the following:

Mon. - Upper body + arms

Tue. - Lower body + shoulders

Wed. - Cardio + situps

Thurs. - Upper body + arms

Fri.. - Lower body + shoulders

Sat. - Cardio + situps

Feelin Frisky

6 times a week, sometimes 7. I lift, walk and swim on three days and on the in-between 4 days I take long power-walks and may swim based on the time of year.

5 days a week, and alternates between running and pumping iron at the gym. For workouts, it's recommended that you work only one part of your body per day, and rest adequately before you start another routine.are designed to increase the amount of oxygen your body is consuming and burn off fat. Your heart and lungs pump blood to the arteries to deliver oxygen to the working muscles.

• 2 weeks later...
perfectlyflawed459

I like to run at least 5 miles a day and run marathons when I can. Thankfully my knees have not given out on me yet, but I do try to do all my running on gravel trails versus pavement since gravel is better to run on for your knees.

RiverRunning

I try to get in 2 - 3 hour workouts 3 - 5 days a week. Biking, walking with incline on a treadmill, running, elliptical trainer, stair climber, cardio exercise DVDs (Jillian Michaels, Biggest Loser, Walk away the Pounds, Zumba, etc.), swimming.

Pretty much 6 days per week since coming out of a relationship.

I feel so good to be honest, feeling like me again. lol

• Like 1