i don't have too far to go, but this is my first time dieting with so much emphasis on muscle development. i'm ashamed to say this, but i usually go the yo-yo route of wacky diets and slight starvation when i need to get into some dress or another. it's worked so far, but of course i always regain that weight and my overall tone is *terrible*, plus my energy levels are often low.

so, my biggest motivation is really clothes, as sad as that is. i looove the way that size 4 summer slip dress used to look, but i'm four months away from getting into it again. i have pictures up of marilyn monroe lifting weights, etc, but was wondering if anyone else has terrific motivational tips to keep in mind when the garlic bread beckons, when the workout is a bore or too confusing, or when you don't want to drudge out of bed for pilates class?

i've looked through a ton of sites, but it would be nice to know what worked for real people :)

DerangedAngel

Actually, I'm also usually constantly trying on clothes that I KNOW I can't fit in, or looking @ super skinny women when I'm trying to diet.

I've worked to overcome an eating disorder for sometime now, so I have tried to get rid of my "triggers". Otherwise I could send you many pics of anorexic models. :p Kay, I know that's not what you're after.

I took a step aerobics class for a while that I absolutely dreaded. I loved the results, though. The positive reactions from my then-boyfriend made me dread it just a *little* bit less. At that time in my life I was constantly seeking his approval, and that was a huge motivational factor for me. Gonna leave it at that before I look like even more of an insecure mess. :laugh:

Maybe you can find someone to work out with? Your fiance? A close friend? Turn the fact that you both don't really want to head to your pilates class into some kind of joke, to lighten it up a bit. Or... find someone to compete with (compare results. maybe even on LS. I understand a lot of people have made new year's resolutions to drop a few pounds). Competition works wonders on one's motivation.

Hope my rambling either helped, or gave you something to use to put off excercise for like 30 seconds.

-Deranged

• Author

lol - thanks so much!

i can't even try on stuff yet; it's just so discouraging. in about four weeks i'll buy a new motivational dress for summer, but i can't even think about it yet.

actually, i am kind of going the pic route - i think some models are stunningly healthy; but i would head for brigette bardot instead of kate moss :p

i think i will keep posting daily activites on the forum even though it's probably dull for everybody to read.

thanks again!!!

I've done two things which worked for me. One is to find an activity I enjoy so much that it's not at all a struggle to participate in. These have pretty much all been related to some sort of dance. Right now, it's ballroom. It's actually quite a good aerobic workout and one can spend hours doing it and not even notice.

The other is to take some sort of class. I am very reluctant to quit things, once I commit, so once the $ is paid for the class, I'll turn up for every class. That way, it's almost impossible to avoid the benefits that come with. I took a PNF exercise class for a while and even though I did no other exercises, just that 90 mins once a week made real big changes in my strength and flexibility.

i'm just like moimeme - i go dancing a lot, so that gives me some exercise (not nearly enough but it's something!).

i also sign up for classes cuz i'll feel guilty missing them ... pilates class coming up in january, for me.

lastly, i try to focus on being healthy, not looking a certain way (but then everybody tells me to gain weight, not lose it, so i guess it's a lil diff't for me).

they say that once you get into a working out routine, you'll WANT to go - but i've never gotten into a routine (*sigh*), so i can't confirm that.

-yes

lostforwords

Jenny..... good for you first off..... as for motivational tips.... well i always had a gym buddy.... someone close to me so that we both could talk about anything while working out as well as we both knew what eachothers goals were and are..... It helped checking out the great guys... im also one of those women who has pics of J-lo or Selma Hayak plastered on my fridge..... good luck to you..... :)

Also remember that muscle weighs more than fat.

Do not let a scale decide if you are being successful or not.

I find exercise incredibly tedious so the only answer is to make it social (games, gym buddy or meet people for drinks before/after) or pay more for a gym which has many TV channels and headsets so at least you can distract yourself.

A bizarre alternative is to potty train a friend's toddler. Mine was so excited by the novelty that she produced a small wee every 15 mins throughout the day and I lost 10 pounds running up and down the stairs with the potty until she settled down.

Good luck!

I totally feel like you, but without the dieting. I just do the gym thing, but I really think you need what I need. A workout partner who is motivated enough to call you up in the morning to go to the gym etc. If I could make friends and just have a decent friend as a gym partner that would make me want to go to the gym.

You mentioned garlic bread. That sounds sooooooo good. I love to eat and I am not trying to lose weight as much as my mom is the one who always says I need to lose weight. But for you, I would really consider just eatting healthy and making a habit of going to the gym whether you have a work out partner or not. It is so much better when you have someone to work out with, but if you don't then you have to make the effort some how, and realize summer is around the corner and if you really want to fit into the slinky cute little dresses for summer then that would be motivation enough for you to excersize and eat healthy.

MAn I need to take my own advice. I realize everything that I said is so much easier said then done, but seriously try it. Don't stare yourself because that is not good for your metabolizm which ends up slowing down and just overall not good for you. So, pig out on that garlic bread every once in a blue moon and make sure to hit the gym.

Take care.