Antidepressents vs. Powerful Mind

Hello,

I am in a long distance relationship and I find that the first few weeks after saying good bye to my love is the hardest. I am in college and lately i have been feeling very blue, I can't focus on my class work, I feel depressed when I am alone in my room, and I feel happiest when I talk to my significant other on the phone. I have done the LDR for a year already. I have been through it before. This time its just hit me harder because we fell deeper in love this summer. So I am curious, I don't feel like I need to be dependent on pills to make me happy, I am going to star counseling...what are some ways I can deal with this? Any experiences? Advice would all help greatly... How do you cope?

I hope you can help :)

it's not about "being dependent" on pills, but knowing when the right prescription medication can help bring your blood chemistry (and subsequently your emotional status quo) back to a more balanced system.

there are two types of depression: One is the kind that you're dealing with on a 24/7 basis because your blood chem is out of whack due to some deficiency that you will always have, the other is more of a situational kind, where something happens to deplete certain chemicals, which in turn provokes depressive states. I suffer from the latter, and I'll be honest with you: If I hadn't had such a good doctor who knew me well enough to determine that I needed anti-depressants to get me through my funk, I'd have been in big trouble. Over the past 8 years, I've only used them regularly three times: Caring for each of my parents during the period leading up to their respective deaths, and losing my job that I loved. Basically, the stress leached the needed "chemicals" from my blood and a regular dose of Vitamin B couldn't bolster it.

looking back, I wish I'd had made the connection earlier in my life, because there were two other specific periods that in retrospect were depressive episodes (including when my boyfriend's job took him back home from the college town where we had met and were dating) ...

talk to your doctor about a vitamin/exercise regimen to help your body heal itself – it could very well be the boost your system needs, but don't rule out anti-depressants just because you have a negative perception of them.

will try to find the link to a really good site that explains just what certain hormones do, and how prescription meds can help keep them in balance ... it's a real eye-opener.