When there's no motivation

I'm not feeling very motivated to exercise today. How can I get myself motivated? Or should I make like Nike & "Just Do It"?

Well, I wasn't very motivated yesterday, but I went in anyway and decided, just for grins, to see how much I could deadlift. I ended up with a new PR.

I would suggest switching it up and doing something that sounds fun. If nothing in the gym sounds fun, don't go. Do something active outside, perhaps!

pretty much. that's what i do. i admit there are times when i still don't feel motivated even once i do get started. but i force myself to push through it anyway because i know how crappy i'll feel if i don't do anything at all when i knew i was capable of doing so.

I'm not feeling very motivated to exercise today. How can I get myself motivated? Or should I make like Nike & "Just Do It"?

Pretty much.

I was in the pool at this morning at 6AM. I was finally awake about 6:30AM.

You just have to push yourself sometimes.

• Author

I decided to do it anyway after posting, I've already had my break & felt I needed to push myself. So I did by putting an hour into my upper body... now my arms feel like noodles.

I decided to do it anyway after posting, I've already had my break & felt I needed to push myself. So I did by putting an hour into my upper body... now my arms feel like noodles.

I loathe exercise of any sort. Congratulations on overcoming your resistance.

'Just do it' is one of my mottos. Yep, if you're not motivated for a work out, just do it. You don't have to do as much as you usually do, but something is better than nothing. :)

I try to at least go for a walk outside for half an hour. Then I usually feel refreshed and sometimes continue on to a weights session.

My other trick is to say I will only do ten minutes and after the ten minutes, I'm pretty energetic and keep on going for a full workout.

It's okay to take a day off, you know. Muscles grow and repair while at rest and not while you are exercising.

Afishwithabike

Good music. It's easy for me to exercise if I have music with a good beat.

I jogged 2 miles yesterday and did a 40 minute weight lifting routine afterwards. I think I'm addicted to the chemical rush from a good, hard workout. Think of how good you'll feel afterwards. Sometimes when I jog outside, I find someone else who is also jogging ahead of me and I create a mental competition with that person. I find I push myself more and I'm more motivated.

But we all have days where we don't want to exercise and that's fine. You should have off days where you rest. Maybe you can use that day to do some gentle stretching or yoga.

• Author

I always listen to music during my workout. One song in particular got me pumped, Dope - "Motivation." Oh the irony! :)

I usually watch a video on youtube about how a morbidly obese person lost a ton of weight and think if they can do that, I go exercise.

I also try on one my dress shirts that doesn't fit as well as it used to.

seems to work for me.

Afishwithabike
I usually watch a video on youtube about how a morbidly obese person lost a ton of weight and think if they can do that, I go exercise.

I can relate. When the tv show The Biggest Loser is on, I get really motivated to exercise.