Is Doing Something you've never done VS other guy whos done it for years

Many guys doing labor like gardening etc, carry waste high trash cans full of rocks and heavy dirt or leaves and brush easily squat and then put them on top of one shoulder like it's nothing. and carry them long distances.

That's strong!

Back when i was healthy and supposedly strong(cause i used to exercise alot), i would try and i couldn't even lift the thing at all. SO i would have to drag it on the floor.

I don't know if it's just me but that seemed pretty impossible for me.

I used to help my relatives with gardening but i was healthy then. Now i'm pretty damaged i can't even move my chest.

But is there a way i can get stronger even though i'm full of injuries.

How do i get stronger in my shoulder and chest if when I can't do any of the things that make those muscles stronger.

Like, i can't do pushups cause my chest spine gets damaged and my shoulder was torn before too so doing stuff with my shoulder is really painful.

and both my knees are torn meniscus so i can't even do squats or much knee/quad strengthening exercises.

I don't want to be a body builder, but i just want to get alittle stronger.

The injuries that you've listed are serious. Have you had surgery on your knees and shoulders? If you have torn cartilage, there's a chance that you need surgery to trim down the ragged edges of the cartilage and remove chunks that could be floating around.

If you have had surgery and are cleared for exercise (i.e., there's not much else the docs can do for you), then my recommendation is to start extremely light. For your shoulders, mobility work should be your top priority. The ability to extend your arms over your head for example, or to hold your arms straight out and do arm circles, might be a good place to start.

As far as your knees, you can strengthen your quads sitting on the edge of a chair and raising your foot. Go for as many reps as possible. For hamstrings and glutes, stand on the edge of a counter and straight leg kick back wards. Again, go for as many reps as possible.

There's a bunch of exercises you can perform with just your bodyweight or with very little resistance (such as band exercises).

I would recommend going to see a good physical therapist who can help you through the process of becoming mobile again. Without your mobility, piling on the weight training will most likely exacerbate your issues. It's sort of like when your tires are out of alignment on your car. Going down the highway only makes stuff wear out more quickly.

• Author
The injuries that you've listed are serious. Have you had surgery on your knees and shoulders? If you have torn cartilage, there's a chance that you need surgery to trim down the ragged edges of the cartilage and remove chunks that could be floating around.

No i haven't. Remember? I'm poor and unemployed. These things don't cost 100 dollars, in case you didn't know.

Even when i was employed that was not affordable(10,000$ + or whatever they charge for surgeries). I"ve just been a 10/hr worker without insurance. and now unemployed.

Anyways, my question didn't even make sense but i just wanted to know How i can get strong without being able to do much movement. and also my father forces me to do labor stuff sometimes because we're poor and i have to help sometimes, but i just keep getting more damaged.

Thanks for your advice.

Get a couple of empty 5 gallon plastic pails and fill them 1/4 full of water. Do reps of 10 with different lifting movements, sometimes whole body, sometimes upper torso, sometimes arms only. As it gets easier, add more water. Full, those pails will weigh 40 lbs. If they have snap-on lids, you can lid them and lift them over your head and into awkward positions. If you want less weight, use dirt. There are tons of such pails around businesses and construction sites. Free. I've probably got close to a hundred laying around the property myself.

Myself, I gained some upper body strength carrying a couple tons of roofing materials (shingles, felt and plywood) onto the roof last month. Used muscles I never knew I had. I got exercise. The roof got done. EOS. Where there is a problem, there's an expedient solution. Get started today.

My advice remains the same. If you can't afford surgery or any medical treatment, you'll just have to do the best you can and focus on improving mobility. That's step 1. I might suggest that you also start stretching on a daily basis and working on balance. Yoga might help.

Also, how are you being "forced" into work by your dad? Aren't you in your thirties?

Do you have access to a public swimming pool? That's a great way to gain strength with minimal impact on joints.

I'll tell you something OP. My helper on the roof job, my best friend, has knees and hips that are like metal on metal, grinding away from a lifetime of manual labor. Towards the end, uncharacteristic of him, he was slowing down and appeared to be in pain, more so than usual. Last week, they took some cancer out of him. Life's short. You're young. Get moving.

No i haven't. Remember? I'm poor and unemployed. These things don't cost 100 dollars, in case you didn't know.

Even when i was employed that was not affordable(10,000$ + or whatever they charge for surgeries). I"ve just been a 10/hr worker without insurance. and now unemployed.

Anyways, my question didn't even make sense but i just wanted to know How i can get strong without being able to do much movement. and also my father forces me to do labor stuff sometimes because we're poor and i have to help sometimes, but i just keep getting more damaged.

Thanks for your advice.

Can you qualify for Medicaid?

If not, many states have low-cost insurance for low-income earners. Google 'state-sponsored low-income health insurance' and similar seaches.

p.s. What is your "chest spine"?