What is the right amount of abs on a guy?

nyc_guy2003

Ladies (or guys if you feel like responding) -- what do you think is the optimally attractive amount of abs on a guy? Do you prefer the hardcore 6-pack look like The Situation, or at the other end of the spectrum do you just prefer a flat stomach with no visible ab muscles? Or something in between? I am trying to figure out my shirtless look for the summer.

• 2 weeks later...
Ladies (or guys if you feel like responding) -- what do you think is the optimally attractive amount of abs on a guy? Do you prefer the hardcore 6-pack look like The Situation, or at the other end of the spectrum do you just prefer a flat stomach with no visible ab muscles? Or something in between? I am trying to figure out my shirtless look for the summer.

I like all three of them, but in order of preference: 1) "in between" look, 2) flat stomach, 3) hardcore 6-pack.

I am trying to figure out my shirtless look for the summer.

You'll first have to excuse me for lolz'ing at this question... :laugh:

But to answer your question, you should set your goals based on your own personal fitness goals...not what some random girl might want to look at...and to be honest, I don't think women really care all that much about abs...sure, they might be fun to look at or touch, but there's probably far more important attributes to focus on that would make you more desirable to women...

Abs don't make a man...

The vast majority of guys who are dating or married to women just have one big ab.

Technically, we all have one single ab...

Well that's good to know. But it's not what I was talking about.

Maybe I should have said most guys have a lot of fl-ab. And yet they still seem to impress their women.

But the original poster wants to know the magic number. I'd say just figure out what you would like to suit your own tastes and work toward that.

Working out for vanity is usually not the way to go though. You have to do it because you enjoy it. Otherwise you won't stick with it.

Well that's good to know. But it's not what I was talking about.

I know. Just f'in with you.

But the original poster wants to know the magic number. I'd say just figure out what you would like to suit your own tastes and work toward that.

Working out for vanity is usually not the way to go though. You have to do it because you enjoy it. Otherwise you won't stick with it.

Agreed.

Oh, I don't date anyone that doesn't meet the minimum requirement of 8 abs.

Whew! So I'll make it with my 11 abs! :p

Whew! So I'll make it with my 11 abs! :p

That's right.

I conduct dating interviews every lunch hour as I eat my McDonald's- Biggie sized.:p

First choice would be slightly muscled followed by flat stomach and in last place, the hardcore 6 pack. There's a certain amount of over-the-top vanity the last connotes. I don't find that appealing.

First choice would be slightly muscled followed by flat stomach and in last place, the hardcore 6 pack. There's a certain amount of over-the-top vanity the last connotes. I don't find that appealing.

Ah, another case of: "perception may not be reality, but perception is definitely real..."

Agreed. Abs like that don't come without a LOT of hard work, which denotes vanity to me.

This thread is funny! :laugh:

In general, I don't see a guy's abs until we are getting undressed and, if I've made it to that point, the visibility of his abs probably isn't what's on my mind. ;)

• Author
nyc_guy2003

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm probably going to stick with what I have now and not go for the Jersey Shore look.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm probably going to stick with what I have now and not go for the Jersey Shore look.

Well I would venture to say that it can't hurt...

I have over 9000 hawt abz.

Lol, omg! I didn't know people still did those over 9000 references.

The vast majority of guys who are dating or married to women just have one big ab.

My dad likes to joke that a beer belly is worth more than a 6 pack.

Ruby Slippers

I agree completely.

threebyfate

While the flat stomach is fine, the hardcore 6 pack is even better! :laugh::love:

While the flat stomach is fine, the hardcore 6 pack is even better! :laugh::love:

Finally, a woman of reason! :laugh:

Ross MwcFan

I liked having abs, but now my beer belly covers them though.

They kinda look hot on girls too for some reason.

I have over 9000 hawt abz.

lol! tman I bet you have some killer abs!:p

OP, if you're planning on going shirtless most of this summer than I suggest you get toned enough so that your pecs are nice and firm and work out your abs so they are visible when you flex slightly. Personally I don't like the 8-pack look as it doesn't seem like it is very comfortable to snuggle up against. I prefer to look at a flat solid stomach that produces abs (4 of them if you must have a number) when you flex it. Also I think it's soooooo sexy when guys have nice muscles on their lower sides! And don't forget to work on your arms too, nice strong shoulders are a plus! Also make sure your butt is nice and toned!

But seriously... you can look like a million bucks but if your personality/attitude sucks then so will the rest of you, so make sure you are approaching this from a good place in your heart. Take care not to become so obsessed with your body image and learn to love yourself for ALL of you, not just how you look. Good luck getting 'hot' for the summer and do post some pics! I do love me some eye candy!;)