How to Get Rid of Excess Skin (Skin fat?)

Hey guys, I'm wondering if anyone can help me out with this.

I am 5'6, 145 lbs. I exercise regulalry (cardio as well as lifting). I have lost about 13 lbs total since march as well as gained a lot more muscle mass. I can easily bench my own weight and distance running is not a problem also. I feel very fit but here's my problem. I still look pretty unhealthy around the belly and chest area. I think I may have leftover skin because i can stretch a lot of it around my torso and it appears as though i have tiny saggy boobs. I find it odd since I weight less than my friends of the same height, but I have a much higher muscle mass than they do. How can I get rid of this problem? I'm still steadily losing 0.5 lbs per week but it doesn't seem to be helping. Help!

Thanks,

Chiyo

I'm guessing you are male....and also under 18.

A loss of 13lbs isn't going to cause issues of excess skin. I don't know what the gross fat loss numbers are, and I'd have to be a bit skeptical as to your claim of gaining "a lot more muscle mass." Some more specific numbers would be helpful.

I am male, almost 21.

Well let me get into more detail then....When I was 18 I peaked at 165 lbs and was very weak. I am now 143 lbs actually, and I can see that I have much more muscle on my frame. How many lbs ? I can't say, I woudln't know how to calculate that. Let's just say I am a lot stronger than I was before. I eat healthy, 4-5 meals per day, watch my portions, watch what I eat, proteins, low carbs, etc. Although now I only jog about twice a week now, I still play basketball regularly. Before September I ran about 5 days a week for 30 mins minimum. I've changed my diet drastically since march as well as my exercise habits (switching routines every 4 weeks). I don't know what else I can do and even though I am still losing weight I don't see it shaving off from my belly or lower chest (the upper is fine as there is visible definition, it just sags at the lower portion). I also noticed that i can stretch my stomache skin a lot further than anyone I know, even my friends with beer guts. It's not that it bugs me so much that i have this body type, I mean when I was like this before I understood at least I deserved it because I diidn't eat right or exercise. However, now I exercise all the time and eat extremely healthy so I'm a little confused.

• 3 weeks later...

If you get fat, your body will create more skin to contain it. But if you lose the weight, then you end up with excess skin. The only way to get rid of it is through cosmetic surgery. Sorry.

But it's probably not as bad as it could be. I heard about this guy who weighed 700 lbs, who, when they got him down to 400 lbs, they had to do an operation to remove like 40 lbs of skin.

• 1 month later...

LESS CARDIO....if you have excess skin, it is due to excessive cardio input. Combine with a healthy diet, incorporate more weight training. You know the hard part is over. Don't be afraid of those weights, remember: HIGH REPS, NOT HIGHT WEIGHT!!! And with this information, surgery is, and should NOT be an option.

My fiancé’ weighed 320lbs, and is now 225lbs, a loss of 95 lbs, and has no sagging skin. He runs 15-20 minutes, 3 times a week: Healthy diet and weight training every day, alternating body parts. Upper body/MWF, lower body/TTH, Abs everyday.

PS....where spandex, holds the skin firm to the body, not allowing lose skin to hang.

I am not a professional doctor, but I majored in Health and Physical Education

• 7 months later...

Will this work no matter how fat you are? i am on weight watchers, and i'm doing great! but i don't want excess skin, and i found a fat burning weight loss routine online (http://www.weight-loss-routine.com or something like that) and it really works! but i don't know if i can do cardio with this plan...

thanks for your info! very informative!

tem

I disagree on the high reps, low weight. Low weight, high rep lifts will only excercise your fast-twitch fibres, while the slow twitch fibres will remain unused. If you go heavy, all the fibers will be used (The slow twitch fibres are like bouncers - they only start working when they're called upon). Obviously, don't overdo it, try for about 2-3 sets of 10-15 reps on each excercise, after which the excercised muscle should be kaput.

Men have it different than women - male skin tends to shrink a lot more than female skin, so that should be ok. You could always fill out the skin with more muscle...

I'm starting to wonder whether your proteien intake is suffient. If anything, you should be gaining weight, and perhaps the lack of amino acids is causing a collagen deficiency in your skin.

Take this test - pinch the skin on the back of your hand, and let it go , if it does not jump back immediately (and super fast) then there is definitely a collagen problem, and you should see a dermatologist or nutritionist.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi I was wondering if i still need to lose fat or am i good enough. I cant really tell in some

parts of my body if its fat or loos skin.

I konw in my arms it is loose skin, when i twist it or squeeze it its like soft and blubbery and u can see it. But in some areas like my chest (the part i want to flatten the most) still hasnt changed. I heard that when u lose fat your body burns it at differnt areas. My back has almost no fat at all u can see the spine stickin out, but like my stomach and chest still looks fat.

Age=17

Height=6'0

Stat=lost 40-50lb in around a year

sex=m

march, 2003=203lb

2004=168

surgery is, and should NOT be an option.

i agree. you shouldnt do more than 20 mins of cardio a day, and definitely dont do cardio every day of the week.

i suggest more resistance training, weight lifting, swimming, invertion exercises can help reduce saggy skin as well.