Help me make my healthy food taste better

My husband and I have been on a "healthier eating" lifestyle plan(dontcha hate the word diet?) for a couple of weeks and each have lost 2-3 lbs. My dilemma is that I'm getting really tired of the taste of chicken and most vegetables. These are not the only two foods that we're eating, but they seem to be becoming the most boring. What can I do to make my fresh vegetables taste better without adding lots of fat or calories? Same with chicken. I'm not the most creative in the kitchen.

I want to be able to make a permanent change in the way we eat without making it unpleasant. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Have you ever thought of vegi burgers? They are made from vegetables mostly and they are great tasting and alot lower in fat then regular hamburgers.Some of the vegi burgers they have out now,have more flavorings added to them to make them taste better.Plus they are healthy and a good way to get your veggies.

Patty

First of all, there's such a variety of veggies out there! You can eat them fresh, with a dip, slightly cooked (simmered in olive oil is OK, i believe), and best of all - you can make salads! There's gotta be at least a 100 salad recipies out there.

Chicken: why only chicken? How about eggs? Veal? These are fine also, I believe. You can boil, broil, grill them, with various sauces.

You also need some carbs, don't you? Have you been eating your grains & such? There can add to the variety as well. Try buckwheat if you haven't - it's pretty tasty and largely ignored in north america, as far as I know.

Something i enjoy making is a-la-stirfry: small pieces of any meat (or sausage) fried up; then throw in small portions of veggies, one at a time (i.e. let the previous portion fry before throwing in the next one) - e.g. eggplant, zucini, green peppers, onion. Spray some soy-sauce or some other sauce on it, and throw in some fresh parsley or smth right before serving. Takes 15 mins! And if you have some rice to go with it, even better.

bon appetit!

-yes

• Author
Originally posted by yes

First of all, there's such a variety of veggies out there! You can eat them fresh, with a dip, slightly cooked (simmered in olive oil is OK, i believe), and best of all - you can make salads! There's gotta be at least a 100 salad recipies out there.

Chicken: why only chicken? How about eggs? Veal? These are fine also, I believe. You can boil, broil, grill them, with various sauces.

You also need some carbs, don't you? Have you been eating your grains & such? There can add to the variety as well. Try buckwheat if you haven't - it's pretty tasty and largely ignored in north america, as far as I know.

Something i enjoy making is a-la-stirfry: small pieces of any meat (or sausage) fried up; then throw in small portions of veggies, one at a time (i.e. let the previous portion fry before throwing in the next one) - e.g. eggplant, zucini, green peppers, onion. Spray some soy-sauce or some other sauce on it, and throw in some fresh parsley or smth right before serving. Takes 15 mins! And if you have some rice to go with it, even better.

bon appetit!

-yes

Yes, we eat more than chicken. Just looking for new and exciting ways to cook it I guess. I like your stir-fry idea. Will make that one soon.

We also get lots of the grains and protein and dairy.

I'm curious, Patty. How many calories do the veggie burgers have?

Thank goodness for the Internet -- go to any search engine and type in "recipes," and you'll come up with a smorgasbord or sites. My faves are "recipeland.com," which has a killer squash parmesan recipe you cook in the microwave. Others include:

* allrecipes.com

* foodtv.com

* foodgeeks.com

* happycookers.com

* recipecottage.com, which has a message board good for questions and recommendations.

You can also hit the local bookstores or libraries for ideas, just take along some paper to jot down notes or ideas!

The best way to dress up meat (or veggies) is to use spices, then grill for healthiest cooking. Did you know that Albertson's carries their own brand of cooking spray that's garlic flavored? It's really good for cooking ...

some ideas:

* My husband loves curry, but only recently figured out a good spice blend that has powdered curry, powdered garlic and Grill Mates Montreal Seasoning for Beef. Just spray your chicken with canola oil spray and shake some of this stuff on before grilling, it's wonderful.

* If you can handle spicy foods, marinade raw meat (beef, chicken or pork) in Pace Picante Sauce, then grill. The taste is out of this world.

* My niece gave me this marinade recipe for something she grills called "Chicken Screamers," which uses raw chicken breast strips.

In a bowl, mix well the following ingredients, then marinate meat for at least an hour:

1/4 cup vegetable oil

1/4 cup soy sauce

2 TBSP ketchup

1 TBSP vinegar

1/4 tsp pepper

2 cloves garlic, finely minced

HokeyReligions

In the beginning, God created the Heavens and the Earth and populated the earth with broccoli and cauliflower, spinach, green, yellow and red vegetables off all kinds, so Man and Woman would live long and healthy lives.

Then using God's great gifts, Satan created Ben and Jerry's and Krispy Creme Donuts.

And Satan said, "You want chocolate with that?"

And Man said "Yeah," and Woman said, "and another one with sprinkles."

And they gained 10 pounds.

Then God created the healthy yogurt that Woman might keep the figure that Man found so fair.

And Satan brought forth white flour from the wheat and sugar from the cane and combined them.

And Woman went from size 9 to size 18.

So God said, "Try my fresh green salad."

And Satan presented Thousand-Island Dressing and garlic toast on the side.

And Man and Woman unfastened their belts following the repast.

God then said, "I have sent you heart healthy vegetables and olive oil in which to cook them."

And Satan brought forth deep fried fish and chicken-fried steak so big it needed its own platter.

And Man gained more weight and his cholesterol went through the roof.

Then God brought forth running shoes so that his children might lose those extra pounds.

And Satan gave cable TV with a remote control so Man would not have to get up to change the channels.

And Man and Woman laughed and cried before the flickering light and gained pounds.

Then God brought forth the potato, naturally low in fat and brimming with nutrition.

And Satan peeled off the healthful skin and sliced the starchy center into chips and deep-fried them.

And more pounds were gained.

God then gave lean beef so that Man and Woman might consume fewer calories and still satisfy their appetites.

And Satan created McDonald's and its 99-cent double cheeseburger. Then he said, "You want fries with that?"

And Man replied, "Yeah! and Super-Size 'em."

And Satan said "It is good."

And Man and Woman went into cardiac arrest.

Then God sighed and created quadruple bypass surgery.

And Satan created HMOs.

My question is....why not expand your food options? There are really no foods (heavily processed aside) that are "off limits" when one is attempting to reduce bodyfat stores. The notion that certain foods are "fattening" is entirely fallacious. Quantity is the only relevant factor. So, consider the foods and meals you enjoy. Partake in them....just a little less of them.

• Author

Hokey, I would have laughed at your post but it was just too TRUE to laugh at. :(

Thanks for all your help everybody.

• Author
Originally posted by Ryan

My question is....why not expand your food options? There are really no foods (heavily processed aside) that are "off limits" when one is attempting to reduce bodyfat stores. The notion that certain foods are "fattening" is entirely fallacious. Quantity is the only relevant factor. So, consider the foods and meals you enjoy. Partake in them....just a little less of them.

Well, I disagree somewhat with your statement that the notion that certain foods are fattening is fallacious. But I won't argue that with you. Unless maybe you mean even cakes and pies aren't fattening if you only eat one bite (??)

Are you saying that all one needs to do us cut down on the portion size and you can continue to eat pretty much whatever you want and lose weight? I just want to make sure I'm understanding you.

The problem I (and a lot of others evidently) have is knowing exactly how much to eat to stay within a certain number of calories a day in order to lose weight. It's not as easy as you make it sound.

Also, I think some people misunderstood my first post. I didn't say all we were eating is chicken and vegetables. I just used those as examples of things that are starting to get old and I was looking for some new ways to cook them to make them taste better, that's all.

I appreciate all the suggestions I received and intend to use lots of them.

Well, I disagree somewhat with your statement that the notion that certain foods are fattening is fallacious. But I won't argue that with you. Unless maybe you mean even cakes and pies aren't fattening if you only eat one bite (??)

You could probably manage a few bites....just not large quantities. Only an entire dietary approach can be fattening. The description of foods as "fattening" is a displacement of people (not) having willpower towards certain foods. It has nothing to do with the inherent characteristics of the food. There is no such thing as a food item than is either good or bad for you.

Are you saying that all one needs to do us cut down on the portion size and you can continue to eat pretty much whatever you want and lose weight? I just want to make sure I'm understanding you.

That's roughly the point. It is basic thermodynamics: expenditure must exceed intake to decrease mass. If you meet that requirement, you WILL change your body mass. That doesn't mean any and all foods fit into a healthy dietary approach. You can cut a Big Mac in 4 pieces and eat it 4 times throughout the day....you'll drop weight....but that wouldn't be all that healthy. Of course, this doesn't include the exercise portion, which is fairly essential to an effective weight loss approach.

The problem I (and a lot of others evidently) have is knowing exactly how much to eat to stay within a certain number of calories a day in order to lose weight. It's not as easy as you make it sound.

It's actually pretty easy...it's just not fun or quick. You have to be dedicated enough to determine your caloric needs and then adjust your diet relative to your goals. Once again, this requires willpower....and that's pretty much always the root problem with any fitness situation.

• Author

But then aren't we right back to the situation of limiting the foods we eat? I mean, after all, who really has time to sit and try and figure out exactly how many calories every single bite they put into their mouth has throughout the course of a day? So what you end up doing is figuring out the number of calories in certain things (or servings in a particular recipe, for instance) and eating those things whose calories can be more easily figured out and added up.

How is it a lifestyle change that you will continue to follow if you have to carry around a calorie counting book to look up how many calories everything has that you eat and then keep a log so you don't go over your allotted number of calories per day so that you can continue to lose weight or maintain your weight once you're there? Then if you decide to eat just a couple of bites of a dessert, how do you figure out how many calories you've just eaten?

Do you see my point? Or am I missing something?

I've found it helpful to go through the calorie lists and get general ideas. For instance, ice cream is VERY calorie-laden. Most fruits and veg aren't bad. If you know what sorts of calories you're looking at for food groups, you can avoid some of the really bad ones or eat bits of them only.

You could also look up Dr. Shapiro's Picture Perfect books. They do a great job of illustrating which foods are calorie-laden and which foods would be good substitutes. Once you get a sense of these things, that's all you need. IMHO, anyway. You don't need to carry around a huge reference book and a calculator :)

What can I do to make my fresh vegetables taste better without adding lots of fat or calories? Same with chicken.

Cooking! My favorite topic! :D

Cindy, I don't know if you are fond of Mexican or south of the border foods, but I find you can add a real kick to otherwise "dull" foods by using fresh herbs and low-sodium Mexican spices.

For instance, take that chicken breast and cut it into thin slices. With a little cooking spray, toss it in a non-stick skillet with some Vidalia onions and sliced bell pepper. I use a variety of green, yellow and red bells to add color to the dish. Toss in some ground cumin and a little black pepper to taste. Wrap it in a tortilla and serve it with your favorite salsa recipe. You can purchase fat-free tortillas, or even "wheat" tortillas at the local market. And if you must have cheese, Sargento's makes a fat-free Mexican blend that works just great if you use less than more.

A variety of fresh salsas, made with everything from tomatoes to pineapples, go well with grilled fish like yellow tuna and salmon steaks as well.

For a side, try some baby salad greens mixed with fresh salsa, cilantro, a can of Green Giant Mexi-corn & kidney and/or black beans (drained).

As for vegetables…ever try adding a can of diced “Italian Style” tomatoes to those green beans? It’s great!

The key is “flavor,” and don’t be afraid to experiment with the spices in your kitchen. They can be a great substitute for the butter and salt we unusually use in our cooking. Use a spice with some “personality” and you’ll never miss all that unhealthy stuff again!

Already tested and approved by "J"... and he's the pickiest eater I know!!

Southwest Pork Chops With Corn Salsa

Prep time: 20 minutes * Grill time: 12 minutes * Serves 4

1 Cup fresh or frozen whole kernel corn

¼ Cup white wine vinegar

3 Tablespoons snipped fresh cilantro

1 Tablespoon ground cumin

1 teaspoon olive oil

3 plum-shaped tomatoes, chopped

½ Cup thinly sliced green onions

1 Small fresh jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely diced

4 Center-cut boneless pork loin chops, cut ¾-inch thick. TRIM OFF ANY FAT

Fresh baby salad greens

Fresh cilantro sprigs

Thaw corn, if frozen. For sauce, in a small bowl, combine 3 table-spoons of the vinegar, 1 Tablespoon of the snipped cilantro, 1 Tablespoon ground cumin, and olive oil.

For salsa, in a medium bowl, combine corn, tomatoes, green onions, jalapeno pepper, the remaining vinegar, and the remaining snipped cilantro. Set aside.

Grill chops on rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium heat for 12 to 15 minutes or until juices run clear, turning once halfway through grilling and brushing occasionally with sauce during first 6 minutes of grilling. (If you don’t have a grill, use your broiler pan in your oven set at 375).

Serve pork chops on a bed of baby salad greens, and serve with Corn salsa. Garnish with cilantro sprigs.

**You can substitute pork for any meat of your choice using this recipe**

• 2 weeks later...
ArdeaCandidissima

Here are a few random ideas:

* Seek out the freshest, local in-season produce - it tastes best

* Shop at farmers' markets and produce stores for produce - they have more flavorful and varied selections

* Talk to your produce sellers about what's best that day, or read a local produce column in the paper

* Include high fiber foods - they have high satiety value. Examples: peas, beans, corn, strawberries, oranges, whole grain cereals

* Use high-end balsamic vinegar or Meyer lemon juice to dress vegetable and fruit salads

* Oven roast or saute (in minimal olive oil) the following vegetable and fruits for a lot of concentrated flavor and sweetness: onions, bell peppers, figs, carrots, beets, pumpkin, apples

* Mushrooms, sliced and slowly sauteed in a small amount of olive oil/butter until well cooked, are extremely savory

* Start every lunch and dinner with a bowl of broth-based soup, such as homemade vegetable

* Include small servings (1-2 oz.) of tangy, flavorful cheeses, such as feta, blue, chevre

* Make chicken breasts more interesting by pounding them and rolling them around stuffings such as pesto, black olive tapenade, sun dried tomato puree with parmesan, or duxelles (mushrooms), then pan fry

Umh, time for lunch.

• Author

Personally, I don't believe in that theory. I mean, what if you're someone who eats at McDonald's every day? I don't think it would be healthy to continue to do that but just cut your burger in half and eat part of your fries. For one thing, you'd be hungry in a little while. And secondly, that's just not the healthiest food for you in the first place.

I think for a healthier lifestyle and to control your weight you should eat more fruits, vegetables, fiber, chicken and fish (you get the picture), because those foods will not only fill you up but are better for you and you can eat more of them because they're lower in calories.

Personally, I don't believe in that theory. I mean, what if you're someone who eats at McDonald's every day? I don't think it would be healthy to continue to do that but just cut your burger in half and eat part of your fries.

I wouldn't call that healthy.

However, if you cut caloric intake (regardless of the source of the calories) below your baseline levels, you will shed weight.