My boyfriend is putting on the pounds and it really bothers me

I've been dating my boyfriend now for 4 years and love him very much. However, the past 2 years he has gradually put on about 20 pounds - and I am finding it very disturbing. And wondering if the weight will continue to come on, or if he will actually do something about it - like going on a diet and exercising more.

I am very active and fit and being that way has always been very important to me. He likes to be active too but his job the past 2 years has required him to do lots of traveling and it doesn't allow for a very healthy eating life - nor does he get exercise much when on the road.

I'm also very aware of my boyfriend's family members and friends all now being overweight. I'm very afraid that this is how it is going to be with him - and isn't just a 2 year "traveling phase." And if so, I hesitate to be with him long term.

I feel that since it's been so long dating him, I should know how I feel about him and whether or not, he is the right one for me. But this weight thing really does bother me - and makes me less physically attracted to him. I've talked to him about it already and he feels that by now I should know what his lifestyle is like and that he knows the traveling hasn't been good for him. But he doesn't know what to say. He can try to do better (eating less and exercising more), but he doesn't guarantee a complete lifestyle change that may be required to have him be the fit boyfriend I once knew.

What should I do?

VASH THE STAMPEDE
Originally posted by kroset

I've been dating my boyfriend now for 4 years and love him very much. However, the past 2 years he has gradually put on about 20 pounds - and I am finding it very disturbing.

I feel that since it's been so long dating him, I should know how I feel about him and whether or not, he is the right one for me.

one question. is he the right one for you? you said you should know but didnt specify

you also said you love him very much,are you sure? i always though if you LOVE someone it didnt matter if they gained a couple of pounds.

i understand the physical attraction about it ,i would suggest him going to a health club and eating less.

(this part is a suggestion and its limited to his health)trying hydroxycut, its now ephreda free.

well i can understand totally where you are coming from. while i am not skinny, but not fat, i expect the same thing from the guy i am with. i think you can love someone but find them losing their physical appearance.

i think excuses when it comes to exercise are very limited. if hes in a hotel- tell him to find a park and go jog or walk....or maybe they have a work out room in the hotel. when he eats, come on now, healthy choices are everywehre. i dont think putting any guilt on him would work (although its always a bad thing) but i understand how you can lose attraction. i think its simply gotta be his choice. tell him no excuses are good ones.