Ear health, ipods, and tinnitus and hearing loss

LeaningIntoTheMuse

There's a reason why loud noise is so dangerous.

I am 28, and suffer from tinnitus and a mild form of hearing loss. I am also a musician, and also love going to rock concerts and listening to music on my stereo.

I have sold my ipod, after I recognized that it was aggravating my tinnitus. These are really dangerous items for your ears! If you're a music lover, please...turn the music down! And don't wear headphones! If you don't want to disturb people, then either turn it down to an extremely low volume, or don't play music at all.

Your hearing is more important than hearing just one song. Because just one song is enough to cause permanent hearing loss.

Also, invest in a pair of musicians earplugs, if you go to concerts. Protect your hearing! :)

There's a reason why loud noise is so dangerous.

I am 28, and suffer from tinnitus and a mild form of hearing loss. I am also a musician, and also love going to rock concerts and listening to music on my stereo.

I have sold my ipod, after I recognized that it was aggravating my tinnitus. These are really dangerous items for your ears! If you're a music lover, please...turn the music down! And don't wear headphones! If you don't want to disturb people, then either turn it down to an extremely low volume, or don't play music at all.

Your hearing is more important than hearing just one song. Because just one song is enough to cause permanent hearing loss.

Also, invest in a pair of musicians earplugs, if you go to concerts. Protect your hearing! :)

Yeah. notice no one has answered you, cause most people don't care until they get damaged suddenly.

That's how i was

Loud electric keyboard(with drums sounds etc) for years before 2005. then one day loud drum sound cymbal and POW i got tinnitus and Hyperacusis.

now every sound affects me. everything hurts me. I have to keep lowering the volume of music, i have to cover my ears when loud cars pass, fire alarms kill me. Even some soft sounds hurt me.

I can't go anywhere cause everybody loves loud sounds. That's why even though at one time i wanted to try going to a nightclub just to see what happens there, i gave up on the idea when i realized they put loud music there.

And no, ear protection doesn't work. the sound passes through bones.

Feelin Frisky

I've been a rock musician and have attended some of the loudest concerts ever. I've blasted music through speaker cabinets and headphones for decades. No hearing loss. Two years ago I suddenly had a high pitched whine in my right ear which took my hearing down to about 50%. It wasn't precipitated by any loud sounds--maybe the liter of Jamaican rum I consumed over the weekend had something to do with it. But I went to a doctor for it and he prescribed a steroid called Prednizone which i took for 5 days. My hearing returned fully.

I guess what I'm saying is that I love loud music so much that I can't imagine what my life would have been like without it. I took a lot of risks but it was worth it to me.

PS: If you've been a musician and played loud in studios or on stage, you'll know what it's like to take a piss in a commode after a gig and not hear the pee hitting the water. It comes back for most people I think. Go loud at your own risk.

• Author
LeaningIntoTheMuse

Well, I am serious about protecting my hearing. I use earplugs whenever possible, and turn down the music and limit my ipod use. If I do use an ipod, I turn it down as soft as possible.

I don't think I have any hearing loss, but tinnitus definitely drives me mad! It seems to be precipitated by alcohol or caffeine, both substances which I have to keep to a minimum...otherwise it sounds like a chainsaw in my ear.

I don't think I have any hearing loss, but tinnitus definitely drives me mad! It seems to be precipitated by alcohol or caffeine, both substances which I have to keep to a minimum...otherwise it sounds like a chainsaw in my ear.

Yup. My SO has had tinnitus since he was a teen (ear problems since childhood, scarring from ear surgery - followed by damage caused by loud background noise in his job in the military), and the ENTs he's seen have all suggested staying away from alcohol and caffeine if he ever notices a correlation between consumption and worsening of symptoms.

One thing that seems to help a little bit is massaging the various facial muscles that can tug on the ears and strain everything. The last doctor we saw suggested massaging the area near the temple and over the ear, the area along the jawline (from temple to past the TMJ), and the area along the side of the neck. It seemed to loosen things up a little, so if you're having a bad day, it's something worth trying. And if you think you might be grinding your teeth or clenching your jaw in your sleep, it's a good idea to ask a doctor for advice.

I wouldn't wish tinnitus on anyone. When my SO had a flare-up a while back, it was really horrible, and he had such a hard time with it that he sought therapy to help cope. There's a reason why people with tinnitus are at high risk for suicide and very high risk for depression.

You should have your hearing tested a few times, several months apart, if you haven't already. You might not have noticed hearing loss, but it's possible. And if it ever starts to mess with your head, take it seriously and seek out help. Tinnitus is serious business.

Feelin Frisky
Well, I am serious about protecting my hearing. I use earplugs whenever possible, and turn down the music and limit my ipod use. If I do use an ipod, I turn it down as soft as possible.

How long have you had it? And have you gone to a doctor and tried the steroid treatment for it. It does something to shrink the cochlea and that results in reduction in that white noise sound in the ear.