FAT fast FOOD, frozen food

The amount of fat & calories in processed and fast foods are criminal!!! The sad part is most people don't have a clue what they're putting into their bodies, or just don't care to know. Soo, I'm sick and tired of being overweight, not fitting properly into clothes, getting tired easily and basically hauling my extra pounds. The time is right for me to lose weight. So now I'm super counscious about what I'm eating, and it sickens me to see how much fat etc. I was innocently consuming, sure I know fast food is unhealthy blah, blah, but I had NO clue how many calories and fat are really in a "super-size" meal, literally what I consume in a day now is what I used to eat at one meal before!!! Also, we were a convenience foods family, and reading the labels available, the frozen and box foods we were eating are also way too high in fat and calories, while the suggested servings are way too small. Now we cook our own meals, thanks to recipes from cooking light, other low-fat cookbooks and even the WW. Plus, I feel healthier, and I still eat lots, now it's just healthier stuff and eating fatty, sugary foods now makes me sick to my stomach. SOO just check out what you're eating & try to find out the calorie counts, some fast food places like quizno's doesn't even offer this info, and I think it's 'cause they're terrified to let people know just how much crap they've been eating in the guise of a so-called healthy fast food, like subs.

You said a mouth full. And if you think the calories and fat are bad, you should see the sodium count in most fast food items. For a short lists, go here: http://weightlossinternational.com/newsletter/fast-food-calories-nutrition.html For more nutrition information on fast foods, go to http://www.google.com and put "fast food nutrition information" in the search field. Frozen food is worse for sodium. If you have any kind of health problems at all, frozen food is the worst!!! It's odd how many people have no idea what they're eating.

Eating fast food more than two times a month is pure suicide yet many people do it every single day.

I would add that fat content has never been a dietary evil. Excessive calories are....and highly processed foods are...but fat itself is an essential part of any decent diet. Many people make the mistake of backlashing into a radical low-fat approach....which is totally unnecessary. If you are truly choosing fairly fresh sources and preparing many of your meals....you only need to monitor the total caloric intake. Macronutrient breakdown will never be your downfall.

The more people watch what they eat, the better! By the way, while it may be hard at first, to pass up all these fast food meals you're so used to, later on it gets MUCH easier. I currently cannot even MAKE myself eat fast-food. I feel icky even before i eat it! I do have lil bits of unhealthy food now-n-then, but knowing how bad it is for your body makes is THAT much less enjoyable, anyway.

best of luck & spread the word about eating healthy!

-yes

• 2 weeks later...

I looove the Cooking Light magazine.

Have to agree w/ Ryan on fat- I lost 34 pounds using ediets.com as a guide (now a very happy 116 for the past 2.5yrs) - and I feel like slapping someone when they start pointing out fat grams on a package to me but then drink a sugary big gulp- it's all about calories. I found eating more fat actually helped curb my appetite and made me eat less. Not to say I eat a stick of butter a day, and if I pick up a frozen meal and it says it's 60% of my daily allowance I throw it down...but...it is just calories. They have a wonderful free newsletter that has a Mr. Bad Foods clip that lists just the worst possible foods to eat- it is an awakening once you realize the crap you've been living off of. If you have to eat fast - Mcdonalds, Taco Bell etc all have their calorie information on line.

The wonderful thing about the cooking yourself w/ strict recipies is you really eye portion control. I just wish I had more time to enjoy it more throughly...

I found eating more fat actually helped curb my appetite and made me eat less.

This is because digestion of fat takes longer than protein or carbohydrates. You "feel" fuller for longer.

• 3 weeks later...
Originally posted by Baubles

I lost 34 pounds using ediets.com as a guide (now a very happy 116 for the past 2.5yrs)...

Baubles, would you mind sharing with me how long it took you to lose the weight?

Thanks.

Originally posted by shrinkmyass

The amount of fat & calories in processed and fast foods are criminal!!!

I agree with your post 101.99 %... Also, I feel since our society of America is so on-going and 24-7 mobile that this type of eating is what we're being FORCED to eat.. And, I for one am not a big fan of McDonalds, Burger King, etc. I'll only stop their.. if in an absolute rush of hunger.