Lost a lot of weight...but....

Hello.

In the last year and four months, I have lost approximately 65lbs. I went from a size 18 to a size 6. My only problem is that I have a gut. I'm just under 5'1 and I'm sitting at 128lbs. I lost my weight by eating healthier, and started power walking 5kms a day. When the weight began to shed, I began jogging and bicycle riding, as I found it easier to be more active. I started incorporating weights, focusing on working on my arms and legs. I began also to do cruches and sit ups, but I still have this extra 15lbs of weight on my stomach. It literally looks like I have a beer gut.... and I've come to a point where I don't know what to do.

I know I could join a gym, and get a personal trainer... but I am a recent graduate from college, and am up to my neck in student loans and debt repayments.

Is there certain exercises or tips you could offer to help me begin to lose some of this stubborn stomach fat. I know that this is the last place many woman lose their weight, and I know its extremely difficult to lose it. But any tips you could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

B-E-D

Because you are young and have not had children...you should be able to get results . For me, the only thing that got rid of my belly after pregancny was leg lifts. With a ball. So, if that worked for me...even though you have lost a LOT of weight...that might work.

Continue what you're doing. You really can't spot reduce fat deposits on your body...you just have to keep reducing your overall body fat...you obviously have increased your fitness levels, so you can ramp up the intensity of your workouts...increase your weight training...start incorporating high intensity interval training into your cardio routines...

And it goes against everything I believe in, but Star Gazer (another LS member who might chime in later) is a strong advocate of Crossfit...it's pricey if you do it at their facilities, but you can check their website for workouts of the day (WODs) to do on your own...

...waiting for Tman's response...

Feelin Frisky

Don't let up. You're close to breaking through to your best appearance. Work those abs until ya can bounce a quarter of 'em and have it come back fifty cents.

Congratulations on losing the weight!

I second everything that USMCHokie said about incorporating high intensity training into your routine.

High intensity, short distance sprints are my primary choice when it comes to both fat loss and cardiovascular conditioning. Lately I've been using ~10 yard shuttle run sprints as my primary conditioning tool, but there are many variations on the sprint that you can do that will help you. It's good to switch distances and terrain scenarios periodically. Hill sprints, sled sprints, shuttle runs, longer distance track sprints (such as a 100 or 200 yard sprint), etc. are all great ways to improve your conditioning and melt away fat without losing muscle mass. In addition, you'll be building some awesome (some might even say "sexy") hamstrings and glutes by sprinting. Start with maybe 4 or 5 40 yard sprints on flat ground and build your way up to 8 to 10. Give your ligaments and tendons time to adapt to the higher level of effort required of them. Most people can sprint a 2-3 times per week and still be plenty recovered for their next training session, provided that you're hydrated, sleeping well, and eating properly.

I could go on and on about the different training tools that are available to you, but your best bet is to start with sprints and ease your way into other types of high intensity interval training. Making it too complicated can be a pitfall for this kind of training, so keep it simple, short, intense, and as frequent as possible.