im going to pull this tooth out

I have a tooth on my bottom jaw that has rotted down alot and I cant stand the pain.Im ready to pull it out.I have an appointment with the dentist next month for a cavity,but I cant wait that long.Im going to call them sooner.This tooth is almost down to my gums getting smaller and smaller.

Im not good with eating and beginning to think I have an eating disorder which could be the problem.But Im ready to pull this tooth out,its very painful.

Patty

Eating disorders don't cause tooth decay. In your situation, there was a combination of your failure to properly brush your teeth and failure to seek regular dental care. If you would have gone to your dentist for a check up and cleaning once every six months, he/she would have been able to save this tooth. Unless you want to end up with false teeth, I hope you will consider taking better care of your teeth and gums through brushing your teeth AND gums twice a day, flossing, rinsing your mouth with Listerine twice a week and getting to the dentist for check ups on a regular basis. You are way way too young to be losing your teeth this way. There is no doubt in my mind that this rotten tooth has caused odor in your breath that people may not have told you about. People will like you a lot better...and your boss at work may want to get closer to you...if you take care of your teeth and keep your breath fresh.

If you haven't been brushing your gums at all, start lightly and the brush more vigorously over time. They may bleed at some point. Just rinse your mouth with Listerine...this prevents Gingivitis which can be very hurtful to your gums. The Listerine may burn so you can rinse it out with water right after.

In NO case should you try to pull your own tooth. Your dentist may want you to take an antibiotic prior to extraction. Some people have heart valve dysfunction and dental procedures performed without prior antibiotic can cause a condition known as endocarditis, a concentration of bacteria on one or more valves of the heart and it can make you very ill...or be fatal.

TAKE CARE OF YOUR TEETH!!!

• Author

Tony,I do see the dentist every 6 months.The last time they saw me they ordered a prescription for fluoride gel which I use after brushing.

Omg! Tony! You say my boss will like me alot better if I have fresher breath? Well in fact he has got in my face with his bad breath once and Im always brushing twice a day.But now I decided to brush after I eat something with sugar in it.

I always have to take an antibiotic before a dentist appointment anyways cause of my heart.

Thanks very much for your advise! :)

Patty

PATTY WRITES: "Tony,I do see the dentist every 6 months."

Are you sure you have a good calendar??? Teeth don't rot that fast. You wouldn't have the kind of decay you described if you were seeing a dentist every six months, brushing very well, etc. Be sure to ask your dentist for instructions on exactly how to brush to get the best benefit.

• Author
Are you sure you have a good calendar???

Yes,I saw the dentist last June for a cleaning.Everytime they see me they say my teeth are worn down.Im suppose to wear my nightguard at night for teeth grinding but could never seem to get used to it in my mouth.

I think my problem is that I eat to much sugary things.Im going to make an effort to start eating better.

But the trouble is theres hardly any variety with being a vegatarian.

I think tommorow I'll make my rice and beans recipe before getting into the potato chips or twinkies.

Patty

Patty, June was only two months ago. Your tooth couldn't possibly have decayed so much during that time. And you can eat sugar all day long if you take good care of your teeth and brush frequently. If you leave the sugar on your teeth to break down, yes, it will cause decay. But if you brush very well two or three time a day, decay just ain't gonna happen.

I think you're pulling my leg here somewhere......

• Author
I think you're pulling my leg here somewhere......

Well,Tony I dont know any other way to explain it to you.So I guess you disbelieve me.How can I be pulling your leg?

Patty

Patty:

If your dentist didn't spot the tooth that has decayed so severely during your visit two months ago, you need to find another dentist...or there's something you aren't telling me. I want you to have nice, healthy teeth for a very long time. Get the best advice you can on their care.

bulemia will cause tooth decay. when you throw up everything in your stomache acids come up and they will rot your teeth.

• Author

Tony doesnt it mean my tooth is rotting if it gets smaller?Thats what I thought it meant.Im just confused.Theres nothing Im not telling you,Im telling you the best I can.

Sorry Tony.But Im real confused.Im going to call tommorow to set up an appointment.All I know is I cant take the pain any longer.

Patty

are you bulemic? you mentioned you have a bad heart...another sign of an eating disorder.......(i've been there)

It's ridiculous for you to even consider pulling your own tooth! That statement was meant to grab attention. And yes, if the pain is that bad and it is "rotted," as you say it is, you need to get to a dentist as soon as possible.

It always amazes me how people spend their time and money going to doctors/dentists/other professionals and then don't do what they direct them to do, such as wearing your mouthpiece and taking medicine prescribed by your neurologist. I mean, it's for your own good. If you're not going to listen to what they have to say, why bother going to them?

• Author
It always amazes me how people spend their time and money going to doctors/dentists/other professionals and then don't do what they direct them to do, such as wearing your mouthpiece and taking medicine prescribed by your neurologist. I mean, it's for your own good. If you're not going to listen to what they have to say, why bother going to them?

UMMMMMMMMMMM, getting used to that mouthpiece has nothing to do with me not following doctors orders.

Patty

Originally posted by Patty

UMMMMMMMMMMM, getting used to that mouthpiece has nothing to do with me not following doctors orders.

Patty

Sure it does, Patty, if the reason your teeth have ground down is because you're not wearing the mouthpiece that the dentist prescribed for you. Your teeth should be very important to you, and if getting used to wearing a mouthpiece will save them, you should try a little harder to do it. Like Tony said, it's better than having to get false teeth one day. That would be no fun at all!

Originally posted by Tony

Eating disorders don't cause tooth decay.

This is not true at all. If you aren't getting the proper amounts of nutrients, your bones and teeth may very well get brittle. Also, if you suffer from bulimia and vomit, the acids in your stomach contents will wear quickly away at the enamel of your teeth.

Well, if you want to get technical, eating normally causes tooth decay also. But if you brush properly, floss, see a dentist regularly, you can make you teeth last the longest. I suppose, bottom line, you could say life itself causes tooth decay, uh?

I don't think that would be a fair assessment. A significant lack of nutrients or acid will rapidly accelerate the natural process of decay.

Patty- Did you see a dentist? I agree w/ Tony something isn't making sense. Does your dentist do x-rays? If not you could have had a cavity he missed and part of your tooth broke off from the decay? Or you're wearing away your teeth from grinding and the sensitivity is bothering you- but that fast?

In any case, do not attempt to pull a tooth like this. It will not come out. The hard roots of the teeth on the lower jaw go wayyy down- all you will do is damage the tooth above the surface- more tooth up top means it's easier for the dentist to deal with.

You may stop feeling pain b/c the decay will kill the root nerve. It doesn't mean the tooth is better. I know this b/c when I was younger I let a wisdom tooth go (that decayed simply because it was so far in the back of my mouth is was hard to reach) and I kept putting off a dentist visit b/c I was worried about it being pulled thinking it would just fall out. It doesn't. It will abscess and the will be much worse than it is now, if it is decaying. Once you go to the doctor and he pulls it- problem solved.

Use only soft toothbrushes, anything harder wears on the enamel which increases sensitivity.

Apparently, your mother makes you feel guilty for medical care. If it is decay and not grinding, urging a dentist visit will mean less pain and $$ in the long run.

• Author
Patty- Did you see a dentist? I agree w/ Tony something isn't making sense

I see the dentist next month.I wont explain anymore cause I dont make sense and I'm tired, of being told I dont make sense.

Patty

Patty- don't worry- sometimes it's just hard for everyone to explain things in writing.

Hope you feel better!

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by Tony

PATTY WRITES: "Tony,I do see the dentist every 6 months."

Are you sure you have a good calendar??? Teeth don't rot that fast. You wouldn't have the kind of decay you described if you were seeing a dentist every six months, brushing very well, etc. Be sure to ask your dentist for instructions on exactly how to brush to get the best benefit.

Well Tony it's because of people with exactly your attitude is why allot of people don't go to the Dentist on a regular basis. It's like in your case someone goes to the doctor with an ailment that they have suffered with for a month. Well the patient doesn't want to go to the doctor because they are afraid. The last thing they want to hear is WELL IF YOU WOULD OF TAKEN CARE OF YOURSELF BETTER THIS NEVER WOULD OF HAPPENED! Not all people take care of their bodies or their teeth by policy of the Dental Association and they all can't afford the insurance or costs of going to the dentist every 6 months. And when they do some dental assistant or Doc has to slam them on how bad they have taken care of their teeth. The patient is well aware of how bad they have taken care of their teeth. And they are also regretting it at the time that they are sitting in that chair. I wish more Dentists and doctors would realize that people know they haven't taken care of their bodies or teeth but when it comes to time of need. They just need help not a lecture. Alot of people just do not have the funds to aquire the quality of care that others do.

J.J.

Roanoke, Va.

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone I understand dental pain but I myself can not pay to see a dentist. I make enough money to pay my rent and feed myself and my one year old I do not have dental insurance, yet I have the worse pain ever I went to the emergancy room and they told me I needed a dentist. I thought thats why I had came ! I have an exposed root due to a filling falling out I think dental pain could really drive a person insane as it seems the pain goes straight to the brain. But if you don't have insurance and you don't make alot of money you have nothing to do but sit and howl in pain. Feeling the tooth in your head ache and eat at you. Take care of my teeth well that I do. But being pregnet at an early age and not drinking enough milk can do nightmares on teeth even if you brush and clean them. So anyway what I am saying is its 3.30 in the morning im in pain and I have no hope of getting help. Because without cash or insurance then your mouth stays hurting.