what is your diet and fitness routine

Hi! Can you please share your diet and fitness regiemes with me, and tell me what works and what doesn't. I am a personal trainer that has not worked for a few years and I enjoy learning about what women are currently doing for their health and fitness.

ME: CURRENTLY: Tracey Andersons Matt workout 6 days per week ( the dance style moves suit me and are what I need for my personal goals)

I have also started martial arts which I WILL be doing 2X per week.

I walk instead of driving if I can.

GOALS: I am going to add 2 days of more intence training, such as interval training one day, and something different another.

I also love hiking and rock climbing and trying new things. Although I have just moved towns and not been able to meet people to do such things:(

The past month or two all I have been doing is Traceys method and a Pilates DVD, plus walking.

Lesson I have learnt: although I am not doing the ideal routine I would set for myself, I have still made sure that I have at least done SOMETHING every single day.

For me, I I chose Tracey Andersons DVD as the thing that I was consistent with.

DIET: I have not been eating balanced meat with vegatbles laterly, due to being depressed and blah and moving towns. But I follow THESE RULES:

No chemicals or sugar; humans seldom ate these things 100 years prior, and we evolved thousands and thousands of years WITHOUT these new foods, and our bodies have not adapted.

The no chemicals or sugar thing keeps me from looking and feeling a total night mare, HOWEVER; I still have not been eating balanced meals.

Potato chips only contain potato's salt and oil, nothing harmful or chemically artificially, but it is still not IDEAL to have them in place of more balanced meals.

FOODS that work well for me:

raw nuts

goats cheese ( better than cows in my opinion)

goats milk yoghurt

raw fruit and vegetables

meat, chicken, fish, and eggs for protein

Dried fruit, honey, maple syrup, and agave for sweeteners.

I will not eat chemicals or sugar. Ever.

I avoid grains and get my carbs from baked sweet potato, and to a lesser extent, regular potato. I usually bake them into chips - same as in restsaurants but I do it myself.

Although I do not eat grains daily, I still eat freshly baked white bread if I feel like it; however I have to be able to see the ingredients in it, and will ONLY eat it if it is flour, water, salt, and yeast ( or olive oil or seeds if it is gr ainy bread".

I still enjoy the freshly baked bread, pasta, and potato chips, but I do chech the ingredients, and I will ensure it has no sugar or chemicals in it.

Although I do eat pasta and bread when I want it, I prefer to eat mostly ntus, fresh fruit and veg, proteins, and goats dairy most of the time.

I am 119 lbs, 5 ' 6, curvy body shape w/ large breasts, and I effortlessly maintain my weight doing this regime.

I could be stricter with food - some women avoid carbs and would never have pasta or bread - but I have found a happy medium, where I keep my figure in its 5 lbs ideal range, without being strict about it.

YOUR TURN! What works for you guys! Is it lower carb? High protein? Heavy weights or higher reps and lighter weights? Or are you a cycling or spin class fanatic?

Geez I could talk about this all day haha, so please share your diet and exercise regieme with me!

Workout:

Weights 4x week

Martial arts 2x week

Walk, swim, bike as part of my regular activities

Nutrition:

Clean, clean, clean! No processed foods. Balance of lean protein, healthy carbs (aka veggies) and good fats in most meals. Starchy carbs immediate pre- and post-workout for the most part. One cheat day per week.

I've decided to take Hokie's advice from an earlier thread up a notch.

Fitness routine: Bear crawl EVERYWHERE

Diet: Whatever bears eat

*turns off sarcasm*

Your question about "what works and what doesn't" is extremely vague and open ended. The answer to that question depends on what the fitness goal is, the individual, and numerous other factors.

For example, right now, I'm doing a bulking/strength phase in preparation for a fat loss phase coming up in a couple of months. I can tell you that the difference between a fat loss program and a strength/bulking program is almost 100 percent diet. My training style does not change drastically between goals. There is a higher expectation, naturally, for me to gain strength/muscle mass during a bulk phase, but I still lift heavy during a fat loss phase. My volume is higher during fat loss, with the focus being on rep speed and work capacity instead of rep speed and load capacity.

The exercises and basic principles stay pretty much the same though. Intensity, frequency, recovery, volume, and progression always need to be balanced in order to optimize results towards a goal.

First of all, I need to point out a few contradictions in your post, primarily in the diet section, so that you have a better understanding of the things you are trying to say...

Dried fruit, honey, maple syrup, and agave for sweeteners.

I will not eat chemicals or sugar. Ever.

Sorry to say it, but fruit, honey, and maple syrup is loaded with sugar...honey and syrup practically are liquid sugar...

Also, in this day and age, it is practically impossible to eat any sort of processed food without chemicals and preservatives. If it came in some sort of container, it's probably got a fair share of chemical goodness.

I avoid grains...

...I still eat freshly baked white bread if I feel like it; however I have to be able to see the ingredients in it, and will ONLY eat it if it is flour, water, salt, and yeast ( or olive oil or seeds if it is gr ainy bread)

So do you eat grains or not...?

I'm raising my BS flag on this one...no commerically available bread will contain only these ingredients...

Again, it just seems like you're trying to impress us with your anti-sugar/anti-chemical nonsense...even if it were realistic, it would get EXTREMELY expensive to eat like that...

I am 119 lbs, 5 ' 6, curvy body shape w/ large breasts, and I effortlessly maintain my weight doing this regime.

I could be stricter with food - some women avoid carbs and would never have pasta or bread - but I have found a happy medium, where I keep my figure in its 5 lbs ideal range, without being strict about it.

Another attempt to impress us...I'm finding it more and more difficult to take you seriously...but my next post will outline an example of my diet and training cycle for a week...

Edited by USMCHokie

DIET

You will notice that I eat practically the same thing every day...so it definitely gets old to repeatedly eat the same thing all the time, but I'm used to it now, and it's very convenient to buy one type of food and cook it all at once at the beginning of the week...but I'll mix it up week to week...my staples for lean meat are ground turkey, chicken breast, and pre-packaged salmon and tuna...

For this particular week, I am "carb-loading" the beginning of the week to fuel my more difficult gym workouts, and at the tail end of the week, I'll cut my carb intake to almost nothing...

• Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday (carb"load")
    • Breakfast
      • 2 cups old fashioned oatmeal with Splenda and cinnamon
      • 3 egg omelette with 1/2 cup frozen spinach, topped with salsa
      • 1 tbsp. Smuckers Natural Reduced Fat Peanut Butter
      • 1 banana
      • 16 oz. coffee with Splenda

[*]Lunch (meat & veggie fried rice)

• 8 oz. packaged salmon
      • 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables (broccoli, carrots, cauliflower
      • 1 1/2 cup brown rice

[*]Post workout snack

• 2 scoops Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey
      • 1 tbsp. peanut butter
      • 1 banana
      • ~1 cup cashews

[*]Dinner

• 8 oz. lean ground turkey
      • 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
      • 2 cups whole grain pasta
      • pasta sauce

[*]Drinks throughout day

• Iced tea sweetened with Splenda
      • Water
      • Diet Mountain Dew

[*]Thursday, Friday (no carbs)

• Breakfast
      • 3 egg omelette with 8 oz. lean ground turkey and 1 cup frozen mixed vegetables
      • 1 banana
      • 1 tbsp. peanut butter
      • 16 oz. coffee with Splenda

[*]Lunch

• 8 oz. grilled chicken breast
      • 2 cups raw spinach
      • 1 cup cashews

[*]Post workout snack

• 2 scoops Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey
      • 1 tbsp. peanut butter
      • 1 banana
      • ~1 cup cashews

[*]Dinner

• 12 oz. can of tuna
      • 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
      • 3 eggs scrambled

[*]Random snacks

• Cashews
      • Hummus

[*]Saturday, Sunday

• Repeat of Monday diet, with Taco Bell or some other crap mixed in...

Edited by USMCHokie

Diet: I try to follow The Zone, but I'm having a really hard time avoiding bread and rice. But I notice a distinct difference in my mood and energy level when I avoid processed and high-glycemic foods, so I try to follow it as best I can. Last night I failed miserably: pizza. But it was soooo good!

Fitness: CrossFit 3-4 times a week, running and/or yoga/pilates in between, sprinkled with other season-variant active social activities: tennis, kayaking, skiing, hiking, wakeboarding, kickball, softball...

I was also surprised to see you say no sugar...and then list the sugary stuff you eat! Also bread and pasta, unless you make it yourself are made from grains. Try buying gluten free flour and making your own - it's quite cheap to buy, and making your own bread doesn't cost much.

Anyway....I don't have time for that myself ;). I started doing the 30 day shred DVD about 3 weeks ago and it has made a difference to my appearance depsite my cynicism - especially the bum area. I also go swimming 2 or 3 times a week.

I haven't been dieting, but my general habit is fruit for breakfast, soup and bread for lunch, and what I want for dinner (within reason). I eat my 5 portions of fruit & veg a day...probably more than that.

My appearance is improving, and I have lost weight although slowly which is better long term anyway.

• Author

I am impressed by the knowledge a lot of you guys have in the area of diet and fitness which is why I wanted to ask you questions regarding it. I had NO intention of trying to impress people. My diet and fitness regeime is far from ideal right now, and it is not something I think is impressive.

Futhermore, I gacve my stats so people could get an accurate idea of what I intend to do for my own goals. It opens up a dialogue where people can give me pointers, whicn they can only accurately do if they know my body type and weight.

Moreover, I HATE 120 lbs at 5 ; 5 on me and do not at all think the stats I revealed about myself are at all imrpessive. I am actually seeing a PSYCHOLOGIST to help me deal with my weight, because I am THAT unimpressed with it, lol.

Why not take me seriously? I simply want to know what other people are doing so that I can get a better understanding of things. I think it is a smart move, as an ex PT, for me to ask people what they are doing in terms of their diet and exercise routine. Study and research helps, but so too does simply asking people to share their own agenda.

And I know that maple syrup and honey are sugar. But I still think our bodies have eaten these foods for far longer than we have regularly eaten refined, white table sugar.

I know that protein, fruit, vegetables, nuts, and olive oil is far better for us than dried fruit, maple syrup, and honey; however, when I WANT a sweet, THEN I see nothing wrong with a little honey or maple or agave nectar.

And HOKIE - There are several brands of bread that only have about 4 - 6 ingredients in them, but you cannot typically buy them in supermarkets. They are not that much more expensive than regular bread.

I do not eat grains on a regular basis - I save them for no more than a once a week special occasion, therefore I can afford the bread because I seldom eat it.

And I have been 110 lbs, with no body bad, and in tip top shape, eating a 30/30/30 ratio diet of very well balanced meals before, in addition to a reigorous fitness routine; I AM NOT STUPID when it comes to physical fitness, I HAVE been in a pretty good state before..

I find it really nasty and rude of you guys to assume the worst from me, and also talk down to me as though I am stupid.

I revealed my intentions and you accuse me of trying to IMPRESS you. I hate when people tell me WHAT I AM THINKING. The only thing going through my mind is how I can obtain knowledge of how you guys go about your own diet and fitness.

A lot of you sounded like you knew a great deal, so I thought you would be happy to help me, but you would rather point out negative things about me then simply answering my questions that I wanted to know.

Lastly, my diet has been way worse than I would ideally plan for and I my exercise routine has NOT been ideal laterly so LOL - as if I would use that to try to impress any one?

So lets get that straight; I am not trying to impress any one, and I am more impressed with the level of fitness and physical health YOU have attained, WHICH IS WHY I am ASKING you these questions.

Edited by Leigh 87
  • Author

Thanks Hokie for writing all that, do you like bread and pasta, or is it too hard for you to find clean bread and pasta? I do not need bread or pasta, but it is more a social thing - if I have friends over then fresh white bread or pasta are special occasionan things; I do not NEED them or get cravings for them, however, I DO still enjoy them and having them perhaps once a month helpsgive varity to my otherwise grain free diet!

Clean is a debatable term; I view potato chips as clean, IF they only contain potatos, salt, and oil. I do not see anything harmful to our bodies in such foods. Same with corn chips; some brands only contain corn, oil, and salt.

All foods are altered from their natural state to some extent. I became obsessed with only eating foods that were altered as LITTLE as possible, and I became a raw vegan even.

There are a lot of raw products, including chocolate, for the raw vegan community. Interestingly, people like me, who hate chemicals and the newly created stuff added to our foods, tend to also buy the raw food products.

The raw food products are things like crackers; there are a huge variety of raw crackers, which are normally gr ain free, and ar emade from things like : flaxseeds, seeds, spices, and cold pressed olive oil.

The raw crackers and other rw products ( cookies, cakes, wraps, breads) are only dehydrated instead of cooked, nd not heated past 45%.

Of course raw products are VERY expensive and no normal person can afford to eat cracker regularly and only buy raw ones.

Raw chocolate is my indulgence - it only contains raw cacoa butter, cacoa powder, and natural vanilla flavour with agave nectar ( and somw raw slmonds or orange oil or which ever other flavour it may be).

So there is nothing harmful in the chocolate- but it is still not as benificial as eating some raw vegetables and lean protein.

My fave raw chocolate is sour cherry. It is just. so. good.

The past few months my diet has been a joke though; I moved towns 3 mnths ago and havehad depression and I lived off bread ( every day ), potato chips, peanuer butter, with NO balanced meals of veggies and protein.

STAR - Thanks for sharing! you sould like you are in great shape. I think pizza can be healthy if you buy your own flat bread as a base ( or a clean, chemical free pizza base from specialized stores), and add goats cheese and veggies on top.

I make my own pizza and pasta at home on special occasions, and the best part is, it is just as cheap as a store brought pizza, and I know exactly what is in it! No refined suggars or nasty chemicals.

And how often do you do Pilates?

Futhermore, I gacve my stats so people could get an accurate idea of what I intend to do for my own goals. It opens up a dialogue where people can give me pointers, whicn they can only accurately do if they know my body type and weight.

Fair enough.

Why not take me seriously? I simply want to know what other people are doing so that I can get a better understanding of things. I think it is a smart move, as an ex PT, for me to ask people what they are doing in terms of their diet and exercise routine. Study and research helps, but so too does simply asking people to share their own agenda.

I don't have any issue with the questions you've presented. They are indeed very legitimate and I hope you're able to find the answers you're looking for. However, the manner in which you presented yourself thus far on LS is a little bit...off-putting...

I find it really nasty and rude of you guys to assume the worst from me, and also talk down to me as though I am stupid.

I revealed my intentions and you accuse me of trying to IMPRESS you. I hate when people tell me WHAT I AM THINKING. The only thing going through my mind is how I can obtain knowledge of how you guys go about your own diet and fitness.

We aren't telling you what you are thinking. We are telling you what your words are saying. I never respond to the person. I respond to the actual words of the post itself. You can replace yourself with anyone on the planet, but the words remain the same, and the words carry a certain tone with them. Again, you may not intend to impress us, but your words reflect such an attitude. And it's not just this thread, but all of them you've created.

Alright, now it's time to answer some of your questions...

Thanks Hokie for writing all that, do you like bread and pasta, or is it too hard for you to find clean bread and pasta? I do not need bread or pasta, but it is more a social thing - if I have friends over then fresh white bread or pasta are special occasionan things; I do not NEED them or get cravings for them, however, I DO still enjoy them and having them perhaps once a month helpsgive varity to my otherwise grain free diet!

Clean is a debatable term; I view potato chips as clean, IF they only contain potatos, salt, and oil. I do not see anything harmful to our bodies in such foods. Same with corn chips; some brands only contain corn, oil, and salt.

You're right, "clean" is a very debatable term and one that will vary from person to person. You seem to think of "clean" as minimalist and chemical free. I personally love chemicals and don't care if they're in my food. They simply build up my immunities. :D:laugh:

The only grains I eat are brown rice and whole wheat pasta. I don't eat bread, unless I'm eating out and I happen to get a burger or sandwich. It's not because I think it's bad for me, but because I'm not a fan of sandwiches... I'd rather eat a stir fry with rice or a pasta dish with some meat and veggies...it's a little more filling for me...

But as far as finding "clean" rice and pasta, I don't view chemicals or any of that as particularly harmful to me, so it's not an issue. Whatever is cheapest.

There are a lot of raw products, including chocolate, for the raw vegan community. Interestingly, people like me, who hate chemicals and the newly created stuff added to our foods, tend to also buy the raw food products.

The raw food products are things like crackers; there are a huge variety of raw crackers, which are normally gr ain free, and ar emade from things like : flaxseeds, seeds, spices, and cold pressed olive oil.

The raw crackers and other rw products ( cookies, cakes, wraps, breads) are only dehydrated instead of cooked, nd not heated past 45%.

Of course raw products are VERY expensive and no normal person can afford to eat cracker regularly and only buy raw ones.

I personally think that the whole organic food craze is the biggest crock of sh*t of the 21st century...that and bottled water...I would never pay the premium for it... I honestly think it's something for elitist douches and food snobs to hang their hat on to feel superior to us peasants who eat only "non-organic" food...please... :rolleyes:

The past few months my diet has been a joke though; I moved towns 3 mnths ago and havehad depression and I lived off bread ( every day ), potato chips, peanuer butter, with NO balanced meals of veggies and protein.

Life happens...but it's good that you recognize the need to change and improve...

I am 119 lbs, 5 ' 6, curvy body shape w/ large breasts...

Just put it in your signature, it will save you the time of typing it out (and you do type it out a lot, which may lead some to believe you are trying to impress).

My only fitness regime is walking. I walk quite a bit, both on the treadmill and outside. I want to do some more cardio, but am not willing to make the time for it right now.

My diet is shot to hell. I know I need to change it. I am against most fast foods, as they are incredibly greasy and lots of oil gives me terrible headaches for some reason. Because of this I also stay away from deep fried foods, which is a staple where I live.

I eat mostly vegetables. I love almost all vegetables, be it raw or cooked with a little olive oil. My problem is getting the protein and iron. I don't like most meats and what I do like I never think to buy.

I have increased my intake on peanuts and peanut butter recently.

I have noticed I start off with a big meal and gradually decrease through the day.

A typical weekday for me:

Breakfast:

1 egg

toast (no butter)

yogurt

banana or nectarine

Lunch:

A pb&j if I made it... if not it's pretzels and nuts until dinner

Dinner:

recently has been some kind of soup with a slice of bread

I'm lacking energy and feeling fatigued recently. I know partly because of my schedule, but I think if I changed my diet around that would help.

When I go home to visit my mom my diet drastically changes. My mother cooks strictly Korean food, and I eat healthier and larger quantities. Kimchi is in the top 5 of healthiest foods in the world. It has 0 calories and is high in iron. I usually eat this three times a day with about 1/4 cup white rice and whatever else she has (usually soup or seafood... actually a lot of squid, as she knows I love it).

Just put it in your signature, it will save you the time of typing it out (and you do type it out a lot, which may lead some to believe you are trying to impress).

Or upload a picture and be done with it...:laugh:

• Author

Hokie- I can see how the way I have presented myself on LS may be at times, off putting. After listening to you and some of the other posters, I agree with the ways in which you have outed me, and I am trying to more accurately respresent myself.

Of course I have bad traits, but I am deff not " off putting", for the most part.

I view chemicals in our food and environment totally differently to you; I envision humans evolving off of meat, plants, and etc. NO chemicals or crap around them, let alone in their food.

Then, after 100, 000's of years of evolving, all of a sudden we have chemicals put into our foods in science labs. I do not believe our bodies have adapted fully.

I am completely averse to any chemicals. My diet is far from how I would like it to be, so I am not preaching - I am NOT at all satisfied with my current diet and fitness routine, lol!

I have tried high protein, low protein, macrobiotic, vegetarian, raw vegan, followed womens magazine daily diet plans, you name it I have tried it.

I actually found that I maintained my weight regardless of the type of diet. For me, it really is calories in vs calories out. I am fortunate that I do not have carb sensitivities.

I HAVE notived, that my skin was great when I eliminated grains, and only ate sweet potato's, fruit and veggies, nuts, and minimal honey and dried fruit, and also animal proteins. I did not eat dairy.

I have also found that once I wean myself off of processed food, and only eat the sweet potato, veggies, and protein, that I just do not crave chemically enhanced food.

I have not felt like a cheese burger or store brought cake or processed good for about 4 years.

HERE IS WHAT I ATE TODAY:

I always have a midnight snack ( night person, it works for me lol)

MIDNIGHT SNACK: goats milk yoghurt w./ little honey

MORNING: 2 tbsp of sunflower spread with little honey

LATER: Organic apple

LUNCH: home baked sweet potato french fries, done with olive oil and mixed organic herbs. I dip my home made chips in salt free tomatio paste, as it is like dipping them in ketchup - taste really good.

DESERT: about 3/4 cup goji berries, with raw cacoa nibs mixed in

DINNER WILL BE: two boiled eggs with raw celery and vegetables with some garlic and vinegar dressing

TOMORROWS PLAN:

Late am snack ( it looks bad, but it helps with my insomnia and I can sleep with a smacll snack before bed).

MIDNIGHT SNACK: some goats cheese or goats yoghurt ( mu mid night snack is always dairy, and I only eat goats dairy)

B FAST: a couple of organic apples

LUNCH: more home baked sweet potato chips in olive oil ( daily thing, sometime I use regular potato)

SNACKS: either goji berries and a little cacoa, or some macadamia nuts ( my fave kind of nuts)

DINNER: meat, fish, or chicken with salad.

OCCASIONALLY I am going to try to have eggs for lunch or dinner, and an additional palm sized portion of meat; I would like to have higher protein days, instead of the nuts or dried fruit as snacks.

I have tried the higher protein thing and it did provide me with healthy hair, even though I was about 100 lbs at the time. Where as the raw vegan phase made me lose my hair.

I WISH I could eat only 3 times a day. AFter an eating disorder I am OVER food, and I DO NOT want to think about it more than I need to. I enjoy eating, but I do not want to think about food or bother with it more than necessary.

So I would like to only be able to eat 3 times daily, because then I would only have to bother with food 3 times. However, being slim for my body type means I need food about 5 times daily, perhaps because i do not have huge fat stores to sustain me for 6 - 7 hrs without food.

Part of not caring about food as much though, has been for me to stop dictating HOW I should do things. Now I just eat when I want.

LISALEE - thanks for sharing your plan, and thanks for pointing out how mentioning my stats constantly can make me sound as though I am using it to try to impress. I would like to clarify that this is NOT my intention. I do not view my stats as anything out of the ordinary. If I was back to being 110 lbs and ramping up my fitness regieme again, I would look better, but I do not think my stats are anything to write home about. At all.

OH - and Hokie - I love bread. I like fr eshly baked bread, the real stuff with minimal ingredients. I enjoy it most when it is very fresh, and I like to just break pieces of it off and eat them without even putting anything on the bread.

Although goats cheese is nice on it.

When I was gaining weight a few months back from being underweight, I gained a lot of my weight throguh loads of bread with expensive cheese on it.

I had to gain weight, and I was worried about how i would go about maintaining, seeing as I was used to 2500 or mroe calories daily ( needed to gain).

But I actually feel fine on a normal amount, thank god lol.

• Author

OH - and I need to start drinking water. I literally drink none. I put it off and thenit gets late and I think " hmm I do not want to drink too much at night".

Water is the only beverage I drink, other than red wine on Christmas and my B day and etc.

I stopped drinking water on the raw vegan diet - because you eat epic amounts of raw fruits and vegetables - as in, POUNDS AND POUNDS. You literally are peeing ALL the time, WITHOUT even drinking water in a cup.

So I have gotten into the habbit of not drinking water, and I think lack of water, in combination of staying at home too long during the day, makes me eat more than I need.

After the chips for lunch, I had 1/4 cup desert of goji berries a raw cacoa pieces. I was going to shower and go handing our my resume, but instead I lingered doing errands at home and ended up bloody eating another two 1/4 cups of berry mix lol! I was not hungry but just felt like it.

Do guy guys have set meals, especially you, Hokie; you seam to have set meals you eat, but do you wait until you are hungry to bother thinking about the food, or do you tend to eat at similar times regardless?

For me to wait until I am truly hungry, I have to be outside and busy, fully distrated until I feel my stomach indicate hunger. Otherwise, i enjoy food so I eat it before get very hungry.

Eating regularly enough to stop over eating is important for some people, but I actually prefer it when I am busy and go without food for long enough to GET hungry.

OKay there is my daily rant. I just like to be kept accountable, I like feedback from people. I even love readingt he negative things about me, haha, it makes me excited because I have been given the opportunity to improve things.

Seeya's later. I will try to cut back on my raw cacoa intake too, it probably is not good given my history of insomnia.

Raw cacoa is my bread; instead of grains, I eat raw cacoa, i see cacoa as something that has not been consumed for long enough in our evolution for us to have adapted to it well.

however, raw cacoa ( it is only cacoa, nothing else added) givs me WAY mroe energy than bread, to work out and wait tables so I pick cacoa over bread and grains any way.

BY THE WAY you should all try to bake sweet potato french fries at home - with olive oil and herbs, baked until the potato bubbles and is caramalized and sweet, they are SO GOOD.

I eat the sweet potato chips daily - I like them as much as brown rice and grains and legumes like lentils, and feel they r a better source of carbs ( for me- other things work for different people).

STAR - Thanks for sharing! you sould like you are in great shape.

Nope, I'm not. I've got some pudge around my midsection, it's where I carry all my weight (I'm apple-shaped). But I'm working on it!

I think pizza can be healthy if you buy your own flat bread as a base ( or a clean, chemical free pizza base from specialized stores), and add goats cheese and veggies on top.

Mmmmyeahhhh, I know how to do that pizza, but this one was the worst of it's kind!! :laugh: Pepperoni, delivery. I had a piece of that, and a piece of a flatbread chicken-artichoke pizza. I felt so guilty. :o (Now you see why I have a tummy trouble-zone!)

And how often do you do Pilates?

I used to go just once a week, every Saturday after a run. But now I'm taking golf lessons at the same time as the pilates classes, so I haven't been for a couple weeks. CrossFit's been keeping me busy (and wiped out!) anyway. :)

OH - and I need to start drinking water. I literally drink none. I put it off and thenit gets late and I think " hmm I do not want to drink too much at night".

Water is the only beverage I drink, other than red wine on Christmas and my B day and etc.

I am a water nut myself. I very rarely drink soda, probably no more than 2 cans a week and that is from one of those teeny tiny 90 cal cans. I have a friend who is morbidly obese and is trying to lose weight. She eats relatively well, but she is always drinking soda! I have thought about bringing up to her that the soda is detrimental to her diet, but I'm sure she has to know by now.

• Author

Yikes I think I have developed an addiction to this website.

STAR - d/w, Hokie seams to love you haha. I am an apple too yay! Forunately a lot of it goes to by breasts and bottom, which looks good, because I manage to keep my stomach flat through doing a daily Pilates DVD ( half hour one).

LISA - when I was a kid, as soon as I got home from school, first thing I would do is run into the kitchen and gulp down a large glass of lemonade ( in AUS it is white, like mountain dew).

That stuff isjust like drinking dish washing liquid.

I think drinking more water ( a large glass upon rising every day too), in addition to slightly more protein, and also getting out of the house more e arly on in the day, will all help me attain a better body.

Any small things that you are aiming to stop, or start doing? The small thigns are good, because if you can do cusessfully do them consistently, then it adds up and gives you more motivation and motivates you to tackle more things.

STAR - seriously though. If you like enternaining, cooking your own pizza is the best thing - it is so good, and not a single bad thing in it, if you just use plain tomato paste ( leggo's), with mixed herbs, topped with loads of goats cheese ( fetta is a favourite of mine), and vegetables ( roasted eggplant and pumpkin r good w/ goats cheese).

STAR - d/w, Hokie seams to love you haha.

Perhaps... :o:love:

LISA - when I was a kid, as soon as I got home from school, first thing I would do is run into the kitchen and gulp down a large glass of lemonade in AUS it is white, like mountain dew).

Mountain Dew in AUS is white!??!? WAT?!?! :eek::eek::eek:

Over the last couple years, my entire fitness regime has been stoned long-distance long-distance running.

Last winter, I was running about 10 miles each day in sub-0 temperatures. I was in great shape, but then the summer came, I got a boyfriend who took me out to Taco Bell all the time, I quit vaping pot, and everything went to hell.

The running just isn't doing it for me anymore. Not only do I fail to break into a sweat these days, but without the pot, I get bored after 3 or 4 miles.

I think I'm going to join Crossfit.

Regarding the diet:

When I'm NOT watching what I eat, a typical day goes like this:

-3 egg omelet with veggies and cheese

-midmorning snack of 2 servings of baked goods

-cheeseburger

-cookie

-chipotle

-6 12oz beers

I usually feel like s!ht, but even after months of eating like this, I don't gain TOO much weight. At 5'8, with the above diet and all the running I do, I easily maintain a size 6-8.

When I WATCH what I eat, it goes something like this:

-plain greek yogurt with berries

-2 hard-boiled eggs

-salad with chicken breast

-stir fry with veggies and some kind of protein, with 2-3 tablespoons rice

-raw nuts and fruit

-carrots and PB

After a month or so of "dieting", I tend to shrink down to a 4. I consider that "working" for me.

Edited by eerie_reverie
  • Author

I am in Australia and am not familar with US sizes. I looked it up on the net once, but it still does not make sense when I see Americans talking about their US size on the net.

Besides, vanity sizing is never accurate, and you can only go by the labels or the shop, to compare sizes with, seeing as a lot of shops vary.

I went shopping to day, and man, the sizes have seriosuly sky rocketed as our waistlines have increased; I am not a petite, small, fine boned women who is a size 0. However, I was the " smallest" size in many popular stores..... Which is a lovely notion, to have to try on their smallest possible fits, but it is not realit lol!

I have no idea where truly small women shop.... either designer brands, which cater to extra small sizes, or the kiddies department, sheesh...

Eerie - I was considering taking up running - I ran about 2 years ago, when I was only about 107 - 110 lbs at 5 '6. I managed about 30 - 45 minutes, around 8 miles, at 8 - 13 kph.

I ended up hating it so I stopped. I would like to add running in to inject some variety into my current routine. I think going for a run once or twice per week will contribute to a more firm, tight body shape.

As I stated before, lifting heavy weights does not help me attain my goal, instead, I try to vary things; I would ideally like to vary Pilates, yoga, Tracey andersons matt workout dvd which has dance inspired moves, hiking and rock climbing and fun social things I would like to do with friends, and occasional interval training which I suppose I could do on my runs.

I am also about to start martial arts 2 days per week.

So, Tracey's matt workout 6 days ( as it is a full body, easy and convenient way to tone), in addition to running 1 - 2 days, martial arts 2 days, and occasional hikes and other new things.

I am also going to cut down on; raw chocolate, potato chips, and raw " treat" foods. None of the chocolate or potato chips I eat have any chemicals or man made chemicals, however, they r still not as good as yoghurt, nuts, veg, fruit, etc.

I got home late and almost crashed the car, and I felt like a nice small round of french goats cheese for dinner; not unhealthy for me. However, I got my daqd to boil two eggs for my whilst I was away, so they were ready as soon as I got through the door.

So yay, one small victory; it would not have been BAD for my body to have the goats cheese, but the har boiled eggs were lower in calories, and I had not had any protein today, and I already had some yoghurt earlier.

I am hoping it is these small desisions I make that add up. I am not one for " so, lets start a strict regieme".

Oh. And the french goats cheese is bloody expensive. The organic eggs r cheaper. And no - I do not only eat organic food. ONly when possible. I also drink plain tap water. Although when I visit Hong Kong, where mum lives, I do have to buy bottled for health reasons.

Hokie - do you and Star live close by? seriously lol....

Op, I didn't mean to upset you, just wondered if you realised about the sugar etc. I also want to say - many of the 'chemicals' you refer to in food come from naturally occuring foods. There was a very interesting series on in the UK recently about this which surprised me (and I'm a chef). It's not all necessarily bad for you.

For example, a lot of 'stabilisers' which are listed as E numbers in food come from seaweed. I'll try and find a link if you're interested - it was on the BBC. I try and avoid heavily processed foods with a lot of MSG and colourings in them, but I cook from scratch mostly so it's not that difficult.

Have you thought about making your own bread, crackers etc - the wheat free ones are very cheap to make rather than buying them. They also keep for ages.

http://wheat-free-meat-free.blogspot.com/2009/01/sesame-rosemary-crackers-gluten-free.html

I haven't tried that one but it's similar to things I've made in the past

• Author

Your a chef, cool! I am going to eventually buy a dehydrater, you can make many variations of crackers and wraps.

For wraps, you just need to put some zuchinni, mixed herbs, and flaxseeds or other seeds into the food proceccor, and then spread it out onto a sheet of paper, and put it in the dehydrator.

BAKING your own cakes and cookies is healthy too, as you can pick wxactly what goes in them. The slight difference with dehydrating, is that it chemically alters the food LESS from their natural states, because the ingredients are not heated to as higher teperature as oven baked goods.

I just hd some brazil nuts for my midnight snack.

EXERCISE TODAY: abdominal plank - raised right leg 10 times, then left ten times, and repeated

about 2 - 3 sets of 12 - 15 things for 3 more exercises.

walked around shopping centre

Tracey andersons matt workout, only burns about 200 calories but it is a total body skupting thing.

3 sets of 20 lunges for each leg

about 100 or so squats but did not count - listening to two songs and just squated until they finished.

here's what I ate yesterday

Breakfast

3 eggs scrambled

bowl of frozen organic berries mixed with greek yogurt

plate of romaine lettuce

Lunch

peanut butter sandwich with whole wheat low sugar bread and no sugar no salt peanut butter. Apple. Handful of baby carrots. 2 clementines.

Dinner

Didn't have because I was pretty full from earlier. Had some nachos at the party, lots of alcohol but no beer.