Okay, So I'm incredibly worried about my friend. She hasn't eaten for atleast A week and has lost over 18 pounds in about 3 weeks. I don't want to lose her but she doesn't want people to tell anyone. I don't know what to do. She can't really sleep and I've seen pictures of what her back looks like. You can count her ribs. What do I do? Is she even anorexic or maybe I'm just freaking out. She weighs 119 and is bout 5'5''. She was 138 three weeks ago. HELP PLEASE

Intervention. If she's really not eating and wasting herself away you have to tell her parents. Even if she sees this as a betrayal on your part, you have to know that anorexia is deadly unless you help her get help.

I suggest telling her parents, or talk to a school counselor who can reference psychiatric evaluation and counseling.

( I used to have an ED, so I know what it's like; ended up in the hospital for it).

Do you think that she has one though?

Medically speaking, she's not considered " anorexic" until her weight has dropped to 100 or less and her bmi is <17. She's what you call someone with anorexic tendencies.

It's better to have an early intervention because the recovery rate for anorexia is normally very low, especially if their health deteriorates to the point where they are in and out of the hospital.

I had anorexia, and it all started when I got to about 119 lbs, at 5 ' 5; then I could not stop losing weight, and the eating disorder took hold.

Some people can lose weight too fast, and/or lose too MUCH weight, WITHOUT getting an eating disorder. Only people with the genetic predisposition, in combination with the right triggers in live, develop an ED.

If your friend has the genes for an ED, and is in the right predicament to develop an ED, then she WILL very soon.

Your friend needs professional help, or she will not be able to manage her weight in a healthy way. It has taken me years to finally get the professional help; I managed to gain to 120 lbs on my own, however, I have psychological problems that I am only recently addressing.

In the meantime, all you can to is convince her to get help, and if she refuses, then there is nothing you can do. Besides telling her family. And make sure your friend knows, that not only will she not be able to sleep, but she will not be able to reach any of her potentials in life if she chooses to be thin, over being healthy.

Not every one gets an ED because they want to be thin, of course. I did, I wanted to just be thin, but the ED manifested and continued for deaper reasons besides wanting to be thin.

But if your friend is concerned about her body, she must know that there are ways to look great without losing too much weight. ONly naturally thin women actually look attractive thin, the rest of us look unwell and unhealthy, not to mention losing our hair.

My hair is only starting to really grow back, it used to be so thick and now it is thin.

• Author

She does have genes for it in a way I guess. Her mother had an ED when she was in her 20's. Her mom is the same height and weighed 100 lbs. My friend passed out at her work the other day which scared her co-workers. Her sister is naturally thin, always has been the thinner one. My friend and her sister were so different with their bodys, but now my friend is the thinner one.