Does anyone know how to get rid of cold sores? I get them frequently when I go into the sun, and they are very unsightly and hurt very bad! Does anyone know any Home remedies that help make them go away and that work???

There are prescription medications that can get rid of these fever blister type cold sores. You'll have to see a dermatologist to have them positively diagnosed and to get a prescription.

The sun doesn't cause them. The sun only activiates a latent herpes virus that causes the break out...that is, if these are really cold sores.

See your doctor...and preferably a dermatologist (skin doctor).

• Author

thanks tony, but the sun IS a trigger to the virus. Physical and emotional stress can also trigger cold sores. Believe me, I've gotten them since I was a little girl, so I have done PLENTY of research on them, I just wanted to know some home remedies or something....but thanks anyways.

YOU WRITE: "thanks tony, but the sun IS a trigger to the virus."

That is PRECISELY what I said...trigger...activitate....make happen....get out your dictionary. If you'll read my post again, you will see it says the sun does not cause these, it activates them. Trigger and activate mean the same thing. Sorry if you misunderstood.

I think if you are interested in home remedies, you might find what you need for a good health food store. Talk to the sales consultant. There are also a number of physicians who subscribe to natural remedies and I'm sure you can get some ideas as well.

If you go to http://www.google.com and put "natural rememdies for cold sores" in the search field, you will get enough reading to take you into the next century. Good luck...I wouldn't wish your problem on anybody.

Just be very sure before you embark on a very long research journey that it is, in fact, cold sores that you have.

If theyre actually cold sores, use abreva. If the sun seems to trigger them, then chances are, they arent actualy cold sores, but sun blisters instead, which is an allergic reaction of sorts to the sun. LIke Tony said, talk to a dermatologist, and also your PCP.

If they are cold sores, be careful about oral sex. The virus is shed into your saliva before the blisters appear. Giving a blow job while shedding the virus could transmit the virus to your guys penis -- not a fun disease to have. Also, by kssing your guy while you're shedding the virus, he could get the virus in his saliva, then he could transmit the virus to YOUR genitals while giving you oral sex.

Herpes is tested with a blood test, or a swab if the cold sore is in the blister or pustule stage. But be careful about getting yourself tested, because a positive result will affect life insurance premiums forever. This is a virus you will have for life.

If you have a partner, he should get tested for herpes. If he does not have it, he might want to sign up for clinical trials for a vaccine that I believe is in its final phase for approval. It's not proving as effective for men, but it's better than nothing. Go to the internet for more info.

Finally, there used to be a big deal between type I herpes and Type II herpes. They are different strains, but EITHER ONE can be at your lips, genitals, nose, or (rarely) your eyes.

Herpes is not a disease to be treated lightly. And "natural remedies" will provide no benefit to you in tems of preventing transmission of the virus, either to other parts of your body or to others. You need an anti-viral med for that, although the current meds are of very little good.

Make sure to wash your hands with soap and warm water each time after touching the cold sore, and ESPECIALLY before touching your eyes. If you wear contact lenses, make sure you excercise very careful hand washing before handling your contacts. Switch to using paper towels for hand drying if you live with someone, particulalrly while you are having an outbreak.

And I'm sure this is highly unlikely, but don't volunteer for the smallpox vaccine while you are having an outbreak (I understand that the U.S. is looking hard for more volunteers for the smallpox vaccine these days, but it is dangerous while you have a cold sore because your immune system is not working too well during an outbreak.)

Hey!!

I get these annoying things every so often too.. but usually during the winter months..

Anyways.. to get rid of them.. I use BLISTEX!!! Found @ a Supermarket near you! ;)

• 2 months later...

hey...

i didnt feel any tingling sensation in my lips or anything and all of a sudden i got these bumps on my lips... i assumed they were pimples because of the way they looked, but i thought maybe they were cold sores. anyways the problem is that i was kissing my girlfriend, but i wasnt kissing her on my side where there was pimples... and from reading this forum and other places i discovered that it travels thru the saliva... and the worst thing is that i gave her oral sex!!! i am like up at 3am scared as hell over her... i dont want anything bad happening to her... what can happen to my girlfriend??? will she get genital herpes definately??? is there a possibility that she wont get genital herpes??? what should i do???

please,,, i cant sleep and im going crazy... i need to know what i can do and how much of an idiot i am

thanks

joe.

• Author

yes, it is def. possible that she could contract genital herpes. The only time, however, that I gave my boyfriend a cold sore on the LIPS, was when I kissed him and the sore was open. If the blisters are still intact and have not bursted yet, you might be in luck. But, unfortunately, it is very contagious, and you should prob. tell her to go to the dr. and get a prescription such as Valtrex or something else, or get tested for it. Sorry to hear about your situation, and good luck!

I was instructed by a physician that I knew once as a friend to take the supplement Lysine for cold sores (I call them fever blisters) as a result of the herpes virus. You can get these at any pharmacy or health food store. You start taking them at the very first sign of the blister and take 2-3 a day and it helps them to clear up faster. Works for me.

As far as a cream, what I've found to work best is the prescription called Zovirax. Ask your doctor about it.