Replacing two meals a day with protein shakes?

SadandConfusedWA

It is time to get serious about my weight loss. I disgust myself when I look in the mirror and my goal is to drop 25lbs.

I am thinking of replacing breakfast and lunch with protein shakes (made by me with fruit and yoghurt as StarGazer suggested). Then for dinner I am thinking of cooking lean meat and veggies or low fat pasta etc. I will also take appropriate supplementation. Is this a healthy thing to do? I am concerned with losing weight in a healthy way.....

It is time to get serious about my weight loss. I disgust myself when I look in the mirror and my goal is to drop 25lbs.

I am thinking of replacing breakfast and lunch with protein shakes (made by me with fruit and yoghurt as StarGazer suggested). Then for dinner I am thinking of cooking lean meat and veggies or low fat pasta etc. I will also take appropriate supplementation. Is this a healthy thing to do? I am concerned with losing weight in a healthy way.....

I've lost 40 pounds in two months without doing anything so drastic as protein shakes and supplements. The trick is honestly just eating less and exercising more.

More details? Age, sex, general health?

For some people it works. I am not a fan of it though. I found that shakes, even with protein, go right through quickly and about 3 hrs later, I get a massive hypoglycemic attack and need to eat something STAT.

The other thing I don't like is this is not a sustainable lifestyle of weight loss. And that is what you need in order for the weight not to creep back up after the initial loss. You HAVE to do cardio at least 3 times a week, and cut back on all high glycemic index foods. You should eat small amounts at least 4 times daily, to keep the metabolism going. The "Zone Diet" is a great book to learn about this and how to select foods.

I think you really have to research the number of calories in things you eat without thinking. I did this, and was frankly, appalled, at how many calories were in things I would eat without thinking.:eek:

I can only do them for breakfast. The rest of the day I NEED something to chew on. :p

Worked for me so far though! :)

I've lost 40 pounds in two months without doing anything so drastic as protein shakes and supplements.

There's nothing "drastic" about a protein shake. Mine is 300-330 calories, with 20 grams of protein. Sheesh.

Another thing: sparkpeople.com

My favorite thing about that website is running the reports and seeing the calorie differential - keeps me motivated when I'm tempted to reach for a cookie.

Do it. It's free. :)

The Velocity Diet 3.0 by Chris Shugart is comprised of almost entirely meal replacement shakes.

Whether or not it is optimal for you is a decision you'll have to make for yourself. Some people benefit by having their calories and macronutrients strictly controlled by a preset supplement schedule. However, if you're the type that needs variety in order to stay sane, then it's probably best to take a look at the foods your eating, how much you're eating, and how you're exercising.

Exercise is the crucial factor for any successful and permanent weight loss pursuit.

I don't consider protein shakes drastic when they contain the same amount of calories etc. as a diet type frozen dinner. You are just taking those calories in a liquid format.

Some people really need strict portion control to see what a normal portion of food looks like as that is where most people make their mistake.

People go by how they were raised when mom piled the food on a big dinner plate or the restaurant serves you enough food for 3 people.

For people having this problem, I think structure can really help.

A person could eat 4 300 calories frozen dinners a day if they couldn't survive on just the liquids but they do contain a lot of sodium. but eating something like that for a couple of months just to learn what a normal meal looks like might really be helpful.

Something like this may be enough to get the person started and feeling successful.

I think where people who gain the weight back fail is that they think dieting is for x months until they lose 28 pounds or whatever number they were trying to reach and then they say well I lost the weight and now I can eat whatever I want again. Then they will say the diet didn't work. Of course the diet works. They all do. You just can't go back to eating the rubbish the got you overweight in the first place again.

Anyway, I am a very big proponent of whole foods.

The food industry is killing us with fast food, convenience foods with zero nutrient value and loaded with sugar, fat, and salt.

I cringe when I read a parent was feeding their school age child soda and a poptart for breakfast! They might as well been opening their mouth and pouring rat poison in them to feed kids such utter rubbish. Then again, that is lazy parenting.

I've never had to do the weight loss thing, but I would never recommend replacing two whole meals with protein/meal replacement shakes...nothing beats real food...just eat less of it...you'll get hungry real fast if you just drink those shakes...especially to start your day...

This is a pretty bad idea for a number of reasons.

If you want to lose weight, do the following:

1 - eat 5-6 small meals/snacks per day. Make sure to eat something at least every 2-3 hours.

2 - Focus on lean protein, vegetables, fruits, whole grains, healthy fats. Forget anything white flour, white rice, pasta, white bread, etc., and all fake sugars and processed foods, sodas, etc.

3 - EXERCISE. Not only cardio, but weights. DAILY.

This is a pretty bad idea for a number of reasons.

If you want to lose weight, do the following:

1 - eat 5-6 small meals/snacks per day. Make sure to eat something at least every 2-3 hours.

2 - Focus on lean protein, vegetables, fruits, whole grains, healthy fats. Forget anything white flour, white rice, pasta, white bread, etc., and all fake sugars and processed foods, sodas, etc.

3 - EXERCISE. Not only cardio, but weights. DAILY.

I think this is great advice but most people really don't know what this entails.

Some people honestly think a diet soda and a low fat cupcake is a healthy small meal.

Or people get a chicken wrap at mcdonalds but fail to realize all the greasy sauce they put on it ruins it.

I suggest people going to a Registered dietitian a few times to find out what proper nutrition is and investing in a good food scale to accurately measure portions

There's nothing "drastic" about a protein shake. Mine is 300-330 calories, with 20 grams of protein. Sheesh.

Drastic in terms of putting yourself on a diet that is bound to be unsatisfying (hey maybe some people can live on smoothies, but I need real food even if I can only eat a little) and difficult to continue for THE REST OF YOUR LIFE, as thats how you lose weight and keep it off. If you go right back to old habits when you hit your goal you'll be back to square 1 in no time.

I call choosing to take in half of your daily calories through an unappetizing thick liquid for the rest of your life drastic :eek:

My thoughts..

Unless you want to do this 'diet' for the rest of your life.. I don't believe in anything drastic or any kind of diet..

There is ONLY ONE trick to lose weight... eat less and more healthy (lots of veggies, fruits).. and NO junk food... and exercise more..

There is NO miracles... only a healthy lifestyle change will do the trick and LAST.

Drastic measures are temporary.. you lose a lot of weight and once you stop you gain it ALL back and MORE...

It's sooo simple really... :o

• Author
SadandConfusedWA

Thanks for your advice guys. I have an invisible chronic health condition that very much limits what I can do in terms of exercise - which lead to this weight gain. I can't handle anything high intensity and this pretty much leaves me with walking (that I already do) and possibly swimming.

I feel that protein shakes are healthy, I had one this morning (rasberry low fat yoghurt, half a tin of pineapple and a scoop of vanilla protein powder) - but I have now re-considered and will only have them in the morning.

I also kind of worry that dropping 25lbs will leave me with loose skin (I would almost prefer to be chubby than that) but am not sure if this is a valid concern and how much weight you can drop before loose skin becomes an issue.

I have also now joined sparkpeople (thanks star!). I think the biggest change I need to make is to cut out the sugar (chocolates, cookies, cakes etc) which I am addicted to.

I am so terrified that despite my best efforts I am now going to slide into the obesity.

BlueeyedJonesy

Op, I love making my own protein shakes. yes, they work..and sometimes you are getting a much better meal than you would be if you just grabbed something quick. when I really want to slim down...for events or even just after the holidays I want to drop a small amount of weight I will replace dinner with one and it always works..no you can't depend on shakes the rest of your life..thats unrealistic. BUT I think its a healthy step in the right direction. Good luck!

• Author
SadandConfusedWA
Op, I love making my own protein shakes. yes, they work..and sometimes you are getting a much better meal than you would be if you just grabbed something quick. when I really want to slim down...for events or even just after the holidays I want to drop a small amount of weight I will replace dinner with one and it always works..no you can't depend on shakes the rest of your life..thats unrealistic. BUT I think its a healthy step in the right direction. Good luck!

Yep, I think that people are confusing protein shakes that you make yourself with meal replacement thingies that you can buy. If you ask me, for 330cal, you will be hard pressed to find nutritionally better meal.

Yep, I think that people are confusing protein shakes that you make yourself with meal replacement thingies that you can buy. If you ask me, for 330cal, you will be hard pressed to find nutritionally better meal.

Actually, for 330 calories, you'd be drinking a pretty nutritionally incomplete meal. :(

You're always better off eating whole food, than yogurt which is loaded with sugar, and canned pineapple (also loaded with sugar).

For example, for breakfast, you're better off eating oatmeal (NOT the sugary packets but real oatmeal, about 80 calories a serving), 2 scrambled egg whites and a whole egg (120 calories) and turkey bacon (20 calories a slice). You can even have some orange juice (80 calories). This breakfast comes to less calories than drinking your yogurt shake. Wouldn't you rather eat all that REAL whole fresh food? You'd be getting fiber, vitamins, minerals, protein, and healthy (complex) carbs.

Also, how much additional protein are you ingesting per day? Because most people don't need protein supplements. If you eat too much and you don't have the muscle mass that requires it, then the excess can strip the calcium from your bones and stress your kidneys. Honestly, the ONLY people I have ever seen that need protein powder are body builders and fitness competitors. Most people get plenty from the food they eat.

If you have an existing physical condition that limits your activity, and are prone to weight gain, then I also recommend you contact a dietician as well as a personal trainer who can design a fitness routine for you. Swimming, btw, is one of the best exercises you can do, as it works all your muscle groups, and with the benefit of no impact. So, if you like it, and have access to a pool, GO FOR IT!

I think it's great you're taking control of your health. Just make sure to make the kinds of changes that you will be able to stick with long-term, rather than a quick fix.

• Author
SadandConfusedWA
Actually, for 330 calories, you'd be drinking a pretty nutritionally incomplete meal. :(

You're always better off eating whole food, than yogurt which is loaded with sugar, and canned pineapple (also loaded with sugar).

For example, for breakfast, you're better off eating oatmeal (NOT the sugary packets but real oatmeal, about 80 calories a serving), 2 scrambled egg whites and a whole egg (120 calories) and turkey bacon (20 calories a slice). You can even have some orange juice (80 calories). This breakfast comes to less calories than drinking your yogurt shake. Wouldn't you rather eat all that REAL whole fresh food? You'd be getting fiber, vitamins, minerals, protein, and healthy (complex) carbs.

Also, how much additional protein are you ingesting per day? Because most people don't need protein supplements. If you eat too much and you don't have the muscle mass that requires it, then the excess can strip the calcium from your bones and stress your kidneys. Honestly, the ONLY people I have ever seen that need protein powder are body builders and fitness competitors. Most people get plenty from the food they eat.

If you have an existing physical condition that limits your activity, and are prone to weight gain, then I also recommend you contact a dietician as well as a personal trainer who can design a fitness routine for you. Swimming, btw, is one of the best exercises you can do, as it works all your muscle groups, and with the benefit of no impact. So, if you like it, and have access to a pool, GO FOR IT!

I think it's great you're taking control of your health. Just make sure to make the kinds of changes that you will be able to stick with long-term, rather than a quick fix.

Thanks for the info Jilly - much appreciated.

I just wanted to clarify these things a bit.

Oatmeal 1 serving is 1/4 cup dry then prepared with just water. No milk, no sugar. It is actually 150 calories for steel cut oats.

eggs have to be prepared correctly with no butter, oil, margarine or salt

People think Oh I'll make an egg white omelet and make it swimming in butter. Pretty pointless when you ruin it.

I'd skip the orange juice too. Way too much sugar

Put some diced peppers and mushrooms in the eggs

Eat an apple or half a banana for fruit

To OP what is your health condition?

No, please don't! Those shakes don't contain ALL the nourishment that you need from a balanced diet. There are so many healthier ways you could lose weight. I mean, taking them sometimes is probably okay, but now you're essentially taking 1 meal a day + 2 protein shakes???

The problem with all those 'shakes' 'diets' etc..etc.. is that the person will only do this for a while.. then they gain all their weight back... why all this torture for nothing.

The ONLY way is to change your lifestyle... your eating habits.

sometimes people lose a bit of weight with those 'diets' then go into a rage of sugar, etc.. gain all the weight back.. feel bad about themselves, get depressed.. etc.

Go to a nutritionist... get a healthy diet... period.. Walking is an excellent way to exercise.. and swimming too.. better than nothing.

There is no miracle.. :o