Calorie Intake Questions - net calories or calories consumed?

Do I eat too little for the activities that I've been doing? Also, do I need to worry about calories I consume or net calories (consumed - burned)?

http://www.livestrong.com/thedailyplate/diary/who/lindahwa/

I've been exercising (high intensity) quite often these days and my attitude has changed from " I exercise so I can eat whatever I want" to "I have exercised so hard, why don't I eat right too". People on the board suggested that I eat too little but like last night, I literally have to force myself to eat so I can meet my 1400 calories goal. It seems odd that I have to eat more, so far, I could keep up with my exercise by consuming 1 banana and a power bar pre-workout and sometimes, i have another banana post workout.

So, in the last 8 days, looking at my diaries, I consumed 1400 - 2000 calories. This morning, I weighed 124 lbs (5'2). I don't want to gain weight, if anything, originally I want to be at 115 lbs. However, as I already fit into a size 0 jeans these days and for the first time in my life, I have muscle definition in my arms and lower abs, I think I'm ok with my weight. I probably just want to go on maintenance and tighten a few problem areas here & there.

My exercise schedule is as follow (with kickboxing being the hardest, I think I burned 600+ calories easily, every session always feels like I'm dying, in comparison crossfit & krav & cardio are OK, though it's quite intense too).

Monday: 60 Min Kickboxing + 60 Min Crossfit

Tuesday: 60 Min Krav Maga + 60 Min Crossfit

Wednesday: 60 Min Kickboxing

Thursday: 60 Mins Cardio/Strength/Resistance with coworkers + 60 Mins Crossfit

Friday: 60 Mins Kickboxing

Saturday: 60 Min Crossfit (sometimes I add Power Yoga from Rodney Yee for 60 mins)

Sunday: 60 Min Krav Maga

That's a lot of working out. You need to skip at least one day in order for your muscles to heal! Your going to hurt yourself.

Also you don't burn 600 from 60 minutes of kickboxing. It does burn calories but it's not as high impact as you think.

That being said though...if you want to maintain you should cut back on one day of working out. Also just eat when you are hungry...also make sure you eat enough. Your calorie intake sounds about right for someone who is 5'2.

• Author
That's a lot of working out. You need to skip at least one day in order for your muscles to heal! Your going to hurt yourself.

Also you don't burn 600 from 60 minutes of kickboxing. It does burn calories but it's not as high impact as you think.

That being said though...if you want to maintain you should cut back on one day of working out. Also just eat when you are hungry...also make sure you eat enough. Your calorie intake sounds about right for someone who is 5'2.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. that's what I thought too, 1400 - 2000 seem a lot to me LOL.

Re Kickboxing: I think this one does, it's not a very typical kickboxing sparring, it has a lot of drills & cardio, the toughest class I've ever taken, even compared to the toughest crossfit routines. Also, this is not cardio kickboxing, this is a high impact muay thai kickboxing.

I think someone wear his calorie watch during the class, granted, he's heavier than me, but he clocked 750 cals in one hour. I could actually lose 2 lbs of water after each class (not kidding).

Just look at the yelp reviews (Jivoni Combo Fit 300), my class has a lot of athletes who have trained all their lives but they still always dread this class (same with me though now I'm getting used to the dread by now).

http://www.yelp.com/biz/academy-of-self-defense-santa-clara-2#hrid:f6-DE37_rL3GMroBc0iWCQ/src:search/query:Academy%20of%20Self%20Defense

Edited by cuppa

That being said though...if you want to maintain you should cut back on one day of working out. Also just eat when you are hungry...also make sure you eat enough. Your calorie intake sounds about right for someone who is 5'2.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. that's what I thought too, 1400 - 2000 seem a lot to me LOL.

Re Kickboxing: I think this one does, it's not a very typical kickboxing sparring, it has a lot of drills & cardio, the toughest class I've ever taken, even compared to the toughest crossfit routines. Also, this is not cardio kickboxing, this is a high impact muay thai kickboxing.

I think someone wear his calorie watch during the class, granted, he's heavier than me, but he clocked 750 cals in one hour. I could actually lose 2 lbs of water after each class (not kidding).

Just look at the yelp reviews (Jivoni Combo Fit 300), my class has a lot of athletes who have trained all their lives but they still always dread this class (same with me though now I'm getting used to the dread by now).

http://www.yelp.com/biz/academy-of-self-defense-santa-clara-2#hrid:f6-DE37_rL3GMroBc0iWCQ/src:search/query:Academy%20of%20Self%20Defense

Ah okay, I know some of the kickboxing classes vary in intensity. I was thinking of the Billy Blanks type of kickboxing.

Stop paying attention to the scale and focus on body fat. If you can fit into a size zero and see muscle definition, I don't understand why you're not happy? The only way you're going to get down to 115 is lose lean body mass by starving your muscles.

Ah okay, I know some of the kickboxing classes vary in intensity. I was thinking of the Billy Blanks type of kickboxing.

Billy is amazing. I have all his dvds.

PS. BTW OP, I would suggest you not go lower than 1600 in calories. Based on the amount of cardio and exercising you do, consuming 1600-2000 should be appropriate for you as you're already lean ( based on body definition) and whatever calories you consume ( especially protein) are already going to be burned as energy for you to maintain your hard earned muscles.

• Author

Billy is amazing. I have all his dvds.

PS. BTW OP, I would suggest you not go lower than 1600 in calories. Based on the amount of cardio and exercising you do, consuming 1600-2000 should be appropriate for you as you're already lean ( based on body definition) and whatever calories you consume ( especially protein) are already going to be burned as energy for you to maintain your hard earned muscles.

1600 calories consumed right? not net? in that case, I'm already in that range. Granted, some days I ate 2000, some days I ate 1200 but I think in average, I eat around 1500 - 1600. It's just in that website, my net calories are low.

I just finished my muay thai kickboxing and now I'm refueling with CLIF Builder's (20 g protein, 270 cals). I was told to refuel 30 - 45 mins after my HITT/Tabata activities. In another 1.5 hour, then I will have my dinner.

So I've been doing this (even if I double down).

Pre-workout: Banana, Power Bar (Carbs)

Post Workout: sometimes another banana lol or Protein Bar or Hard Boiled Eggs.

I would like some variety for my pre & post workout meals but that's the only healthy choice that I could think of. Then I eat my normal breakfast - lunch - dinner (and I start to cut down rice because someone said it's not a good carb :()

• Author
Stop paying attention to the scale and focus on body fat. If you can fit into a size zero and see muscle definition, I don't understand why you're not happy? The only way you're going to get down to 115 is lose lean body mass by starving your muscles.

Who said I'm not happy? :o, I like my body the way it is (well, Ok, except I want a little bit leaner on the waist side and a bit more muscles on my triceps then I'll be OK :p).

In my post, I stated that I am ditching my weight goal (115 lbs) because I feel I am already lean as it is. But given my lifting activities, I presume I will continue to build muscles and someone told me that I need to up my calories while I feel that I eat a lot already (pretty much eating every 2 - 3 hours). Lately, I feel pressured to keep eating even though I am not hungry because I am paranoid that I'm wasting my high intensity/weight lifting activities that my muscles/my tissues can't regenerate well and I will get injuries or I will mess up my metabolism because my net calories is too low.

Who said I'm not happy? :o, I like my body the way it is (well, Ok, except I want a little bit leaner on the waist side and a bit more muscles on my triceps then I'll be OK :p).

In my post, I stated that I am ditching my weight goal (115 lbs) because I feel I am already lean as it is. But given my lifting activities, I presume I will continue to build muscles and someone told me that I need to up my calories while I feel that I eat a lot already (pretty much eating every 2 - 3 hours). Lately, I feel pressured to keep eating even though I am not hungry because I am paranoid that I'm wasting my high intensity/weight lifting activities that my muscles/my tissues can't regenerate well and I will get injuries or I will mess up my metabolism because my net calories is too low.

If you're gaining muscles then yes upping your calories is important.

In my opinion, to avoid all the science mumble jumbo, if you're gaining muscles, increase your calories in turns of protein. That's it. Don't overthink things. If you feel like you're on point and on track, keep doing what you're doing.

There's actually a word for when you alternate your calories the way you do, except I can't think of it right now. It's actually pretty good because you're confusing your body with your caloric intake and bodybuilders use this method to break plateaus. The one thing I would recommend is that you only go on a calorie deficit once a week, so you could be eating 1600 - 2000 calorie for 6 days and then 1400 one day.

1600 calories consumed right? not net? in that case, I'm already in that range. Granted, some days I ate 2000, some days I ate 1200 but I think in average, I eat around 1500 - 1600. It's just in that website, my net calories are low.

I just finished my muay thai kickboxing and now I'm refueling with CLIF Builder's (20 g protein, 270 cals). I was told to refuel 30 - 45 mins after my HITT/Tabata activities. In another 1.5 hour, then I will have my dinner.

So I've been doing this (even if I double down).

Pre-workout: Banana, Power Bar (Carbs)

Post Workout: sometimes another banana lol or Protein Bar or Hard Boiled Eggs.

I would like some variety for my pre & post workout meals but that's the only healthy choice that I could think of. Then I eat my normal breakfast - lunch - dinner (and I start to cut down rice because someone said it's not a good carb :()

I actually heard of CLIF bars except I think they're high in sugar. The one thing about energy bars is that they're quick meals and snacks when you're on the go but they're high in sugar and hydrolyzed whey that they're basically candy bars in disguise. Have you ever felt like you were jacked up on sugar after consuming them? They're pretty much the worst when you want to maintain a good insulin level in your system.

A banana (or an apple ( which is relatively lower in carbs compare to the banana) is good for a preworkout, but I would definitely stick to protein shakes for post. Or in your case, eggs ( minus the yolks). What you need to know is that post workout, your carbs are depleted ( especially if you lift) and you want your muscles to recover without fail. If you're for supplements, I recommend glutamine or a protein shake. Glutamine is a bit on the pricey side but I mix it with 100% Optimum Whey ( which is actually good protein in my opinion ( 24 g protein, 4 g carbs, 120 calories per serving) and I know I'm good for at least two hours until I eat again. You might want to look into a good protein shake. I'm not going to push products on you, but if you really want to get a good protein, try to get it from bodybuilding.com as they're slightly cheaper than GNC.

• Author

I actually heard of CLIF bars except I think they're high in sugar. The one thing about energy bars is that they're quick meals and snacks when you're on the go but they're high in sugar and hydrolyzed whey that they're basically candy bars in disguise. Have you ever felt like you were jacked up on sugar after consuming them? They're pretty much the worst when you want to maintain a good insulin level in your system.

A banana (or an apple ( which is relatively lower in carbs compare to the banana) is good for a preworkout, but I would definitely stick to protein shakes for post. Or in your case, eggs ( minus the yolks). What you need to know is that post workout, your carbs are depleted ( especially if you lift) and you want your muscles to recover without fail. If you're for supplements, I recommend glutamine or a protein shake. Glutamine is a bit on the pricey side but I mix it with 100% Optimum Whey ( which is actually good protein in my opinion ( 24 g protein, 4 g carbs, 120 calories per serving) and I know I'm good for at least two hours until I eat again. You might want to look into a good protein shake. I'm not going to push products on you, but if you really want to get a good protein, try to get it from bodybuilding.com as they're slightly cheaper than GNC.

Oh cr@p, so basically, I sacrifice things I love, I cut down sugar from my coffee, take out rice from my diet, refrained from my dark chocolate, only to pack the same thing with my power/energy bar? I don't even like them as much, I thought I need them to refuel or to give me energy and they are healthier than some of the food I usually eat. Arghh...:mad:...thanks for your suggestion.

I will look into the products you suggested. Why egg yolk is bad? High in cholestrol?

skydiveaddict

Cuppa,you're working out everyday of the week. You need a couple of rest days during the week for your body to recover.

Oh cr@p, so basically, I sacrifice things I love, I cut down sugar from my coffee, take out rice from my diet, refrained from my dark chocolate, only to pack the same thing with my power/energy bar? I don't even like them as much, I thought I need them to refuel or to give me energy and they are healthier than some of the food I usually eat. Arghh...:mad:...thanks for your suggestion.

I will look into the products you suggested. Why egg yolk is bad? High in cholestrol?

Yeah pretty much. Protein bars are good if you're doing a 4 hour marathon... but otherwise, stay away from processed sugar ( which is found in almost ALL protein bars, etc).

As for the egg yolk, eggs primary fat come from the yolk. I mean if you like it, go ahead, but you know how they say too many eggs in one day is bad for you? ( especially with cholesterol).

You can eat the yolks, but eggs whites are where the protein is at.