Running? Walking? Both?

Ladybug313

This may seem like a very strange question, but...

does running widen your shoulders? Like does it build muscles in your shoulder/back areas that widen your shoulders?

Also, what is better in general to keep in shape? Running or walking? I've heard walking might be safer (?). I usually do a combination of both, and sometimes I feel running is bulking me up too much rather than keeping me toned. Could it be something I am eating?

thanks!

does running widen your shoulders? Like does it build muscles in your shoulder/back areas that widen your shoulders?

No.

Running does not build anything in these areas. Running does not produce any noteworthy muscular gains in the lower body, either.

Also, what is better in general to keep in shape? Running or walking?

Hard to say...neither is all that effective at improving general fitness.

I've heard walking might be safer (?)

Walking is absolutely safer. Running is far more dangerous that people realize. It creates very high forces that are absorbed largely by the skeletal system.

I usually do a combination of both, and sometimes I feel running is bulking me up too much rather than keeping me toned.

Running is not going to bulk you up unless you have very good genetics for muscular growth....in which case you'd already be above average in muscularity without any activity. Furthermore, no activity can increase "tone" because there is no such property as described. It really means lean...and lowering bodyfat is a different subject.

But the point is, you don't need to "feel" anything about the matter. It is an objective trait...no guesswork involved. If you are adding muscle tissue, you can determine this by taking regular weight measurements and body circumference measurements. I imagine a lot of women would feel that a couple of pounds is "bulking," which is just silly. I hear complaints like, "When I lift weights my pants don't fit anymore." Well, they didn't fit all that well before...they were notably tight. Of course they don't fit now! If I wore pants that clung to my body with no slack from the knees UP, I'd shed like a snake.

You wrote above that neither running nor walking is particularly effective at improving general fitness. I have read numerous times in recent years that either is great for the heart. The American Heart Association recommends older folks take a brisk walk of at least 20 minutes daily to build and maintain good cardiac health.

How do you explain your position on this...or are these other doctors and organizations full of it?

• Author
Ladybug313

Thanks Ryan, for the helpful information. I run because I like to keep in shape and I really enjoy it, but I realize that since I have started doing it on a regular basis I have noticed more muscles on my arms, thighs and calves, that's all. I used to be kind of a stick. And people ask me if I lift light weights ( like those little dumbell things?) but I haven't gone near a weight in my life..er, maybe I should? ;)

I just figured if it was going to keep building up muscles maybe I should stick to walking or something. I don't really want big muscles or anything like that. It hasn't anything to do with my weight at all ;) But as long as the exercise keeps me feeling refreshed and energized I guess I should be ok. Thanks again~

I have read numerous times in recent years that either is great for the heart.

I've also read the same thing. Once you question those same sources as to WHY and HOW, you get explanations that are illogical and/or unscientific.

Start by considering what the heart is and what it does.

The American Heart Association recommends older folks take a brisk walk of at least 20 minutes daily to build and maintain good cardiac health.

You must understand that this stance is in relation to doing NOTHING. Sure, taking a 20 minute walk every day is better than sitting on the couch; it's part of having an active lifestyle. But X being better than Y does not tell us anything about how GOOD X and Y are. The AHA stance on activity is just an attempt to get people AWAY from being sedentary. It is not anything close to a complete exercise prescription. If being healthy was so simple as standing up while talking on the telephone (an actual point from their web site), we wouldn't have any fitness issues in this country at all.

http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=2155

That same 20 minute walk, day in and day out, does what for muscular strength? Muscular endurance? Cardiovascular ability? Flexibility? Bodyfat percentages and bone density? These are the questions that need to be asked. We HAVE standard components of general fitness and the criteria necessary to make improvements in them. There is no need to rely on fallacious stances, such as X is better than Y.

I run because I like to keep in shape and I really enjoy it, but I realize that since I have started doing it on a regular basis I have noticed more muscles on my arms, thighs and calves, that's all.

What you're probably noticing is not more muscle...but rather less bodyfat. Running does not burn all that much in the way of calories...but over time, it will cause you to lose bodyfat (among other tissues). What usually is a larger factor is dietary changes. People who decide to take up running will probably also be more mindful of what they are eating. Drinking that bottle of water instead of a soda, coffee, or even juice will add up quickly. Plus, you can't be snacking while you're out running. You might be the kind of person who nibbles all throughout the day, but now you've taken an hour out of the time when you'd normally do that.

I just figured if it was going to keep building up muscles maybe I should stick to walking or something. I don't really want big muscles or anything like that.

Well I suppose it's good that you don't want big muscles...because you aren't going to get them. Are you thinking of bodybuilders (male or female) and shying away from that image? A lot of women picture such things when the topic of weight training arises. The first (and typically only) thing I have to say is: how many men at the gym are the size of bodybuilders? Very, very few. What makes you think you're going to look like one?