i have an issue here!

ok soo i am 5'9 and about 155 pounds. im 20. i dont think i am "fat", well, besides my little muffin top for a belly and my bubble butt! i just need to tone up! i spot NO muscle. haha.

here is the thing, i am a waitress. i work about 45 hours a week. thats ALOT of walking! My stepfather is always making fun of me how my legs are so fat and butt is so big, especially that i am a waitress and supposed to be toned and "not like jello" lol. he has a point, i shouldnt be like this, right? i mean, i walk around a lot!

i dont really eat bad. I dont eat steak, burgers, any type or red meat, any type of breakfast(except cold cereal) and no seafood either. My diet is mostly chicken, pasta, and turkey.. thats not bad, right? And i eat about 2 meals a day.

Any advice on how i can tone up? I just dont get how I am really active and I hear how walking is so good for you, and I do alot, yet I am still "like jello"

Oh yeah, and did I mention below my butt and between my legs are stretch marks? It looks horrible, because they are RED! last summer i was so scared of the beach, because it was so embarassing! I heard you can never get rid of stretch marks, which is depressing. but i have no idea how i even got them in the first place!! ive had them for about a year, they just showed up! My mom says that when she was 14 she was 170 lbs and she never got stetch marks that bad! Anybody know how this happened? I can't really go to a doctor or anything because i dont have insurance anymore.. ughh.

Haha, I'm 30, 5'9 and I weigh 95KG. And I've lost weight.

See, at 20, stretch marks go away. If you want to lose weight, I suggest either running or swimming. Walking is only effective in the first 2-3 months of weight loss, then your body adjusts to it.

Remember - Your body is designed to keep food in, not give food out.

you need for 1 thing to eat 5-6 small meals a day. this 2 meals isn't cutting it. and you're going to have to hit the running, if you're goals to lose the weight.

• Author

thanks for everybodys help i really appreciate it!... would anybody know if where i am at right now is a healthy weight or not?? 5'9(ish) and 155 pounds =]

you need for 1 thing to eat 5-6 small meals a day. this 2 meals isn't cutting it. and you're going to have to hit the running, if you're goals to lose the weight.

I agree!

your body is not getting enough food so it stores everything that you eat, making it to fat and you're not really exercising by walking.

You need to do some cardio so your heart rate can raise and lose some fat. Eat a good breakfast like oatmeal or grits and eggs. For your 2nd meal you can have an apple with a cereal bar, for your lunch(3rd meal) you can have chicken breast(you need protein)and a side salad. For your 4th meal you can have another fruit or drink a protein shake(that can substitute 1 meal) and for dinner (5th meal) you can have grilled salmon and steamed veggies or brown rice. If you get bored (I do) eating the same thing everyday you can look for new healthy recipes online and have fun! =)

You need protein to build good muscle mass but you also need to do some weight training, you don't want to lose weight and be flabby with no toned muscles! eww!

I used to weigh 150 @ 5'3, people said I wasn't fat but I was'nt comfortable with my body. I carried the weight well because I have a coke bottle shape so I mostly got it in my hips and butt, my stomach was not big, it was actually flat but I wasn't toned at all!

I joined Gold's Gym and now I'm 135 (toned) =) I go to the gym 4-5 times a week. I take Body pump class (weight training) 2 -3 x a wk and do cardio the days I don't have class. Now, I'm going to cut back on the cardio and do more weight training so I can get more toned/muscle and don't lose anymore weight because I love being thick and toned! don't wanna be a stick! lol

For the stretch marks you can try cocoa butter, buy the all natural cocoa butter stick. My mom sais that will smooth them out.

Good luck!!

Your BMI (Body Mass Indexis) in the average range but that can be deceiving. If your percentage of fat vs muscle is off then you still can be overweight. If your "big legs" are not muscularly toned (like a dancers) then I suspect this is true for you. I suggest cutting calories but still eating 5-6 small meals (around 300 calories each), and adding some weight training and some high intensity interval training: http://www.intervaltraining.net/hiit.html

Edited by GrayClouds

I agree with GrayClouds. Walking is not enough. Running is not enough. You really need to incorporate some sort of weight training into your workout routines. People just walk/jog on the treadmills or rock the elliptical and wonder why they don't get the results they're looking for...

The best calorie burner is weight training...because your body continues to burn calories long after your workout and while you're resting...

But the biggest "secret" to weight loss is...drum roll please...lower calorie consumption...it's that simple. but make sure you're reducing calories gradually...that way your body can adapt to the lower food intake and it makes it easier on your lifestyle in terms of meals and how much you're used to eating...

May I respectfully disagree here.

In order to lose weight, you need only burn off sufficiently more than you consume, with the knowledge that your body will adjust to your excercise routine after a while.

Running IS enough. Walking IS enough. You just have to do enough of it.

In order to lose weight by walking, you need to walk an average of 20 - 30 miles to burn a pound of fat. If you eat a bit more, you walk a bit more. generally though, you're burning calories just by being alive, so as long as you don't splurge at every meal, walking 30 miles a week will guarantee you a steady weight loss. But 10 miles takes about 2-3 hours to walk.

Running - you lose more weight by running. It IS enough for the average diet. If you're running up to 7 miles 3 times a week, you WILL be losing about 2 pounds (or 1kg) every fortnight, unless you're a professional athelete with highly toned muscles. If you have "big legs", they WILL get smaller and smaller within months.

The problem often is that people go for 30 minute trots, and then expect to lose lots of weight. 30 minutes tends to be about 1-2 miles. Unless one is overweight or obese, that kind of run merely keeps you in the trimming/fitnes zone: You don't gain weight, and you keep your vital organs in tune. But you rarely lose weight.

Dieting/ weight training increases your weight loss as well.