Does it take time to adjust to new mattress?

Just A Girl2

Ugh, I'm rather disappointed. After 10 yrs of the same mattress/box spring, I decided I needed to buy a new one, as I've been forever waking up in the morning with shoulder and hip pain, arms and hands asleep, bla bla (too firm!)

So I had the new one delivered this afternoon. It sure felt a lot LESS FIRM in the store, when I laid on it there. I have to say, I don't trust salespeople and large stores like this..who's to say the one I laid on in the store is the exact same model I have now? Do they ever have "better models" on the floor, then switch and give you what you think is the same one (labelled the same), but of a lesser quality?

I moved my older bed into my guest room. And damn, it feels more soft than this new one.

Do I just need some time for it to adjust to my back? It's a Serta Backlogic Pillowtop Plush model. I'm kind of bummed out here, was sooo looking forward to an amazing sleep tonight.

I do have 90 days to exchange it if I don't like it, which is good..but I don't want to jump the gun, either. Tried searching around online to find out if a person just needs to give a new mattress set some 'time' to get used to it? I know that "too plush/soft" is not good either (may feel good, but doesn't support your spine properly)....but this seems a lot more firm than in the store.

Thoughts? Your experiences? Thanks

I bought a pillow top mattress a couple years ago, and it took me a few weeks to get used to it. The first week or so my back was killing me every morning. Now that I've gotten used to it, I love my bed!

Give it a few weeks to get used to before you take it back.

It sure felt a lot LESS FIRM in the store, when I laid on it there.

Floor models, oddly enough, have a lot of people climbing on them. A brand new mattress with no mileage is likely to be more firm since it has no wear.

Also, you probably didn't lay on it for more than a few minutes. A given pressure that is borderline uncomfortable may take longer than that to register to your body.

The situation is similar to that of buying shoes....just imagine if everyone tried on the same pair.

I know I have a REALLLLY hard time sleeping on any bed but my own!

Maybe you just need to give it some time, a new bed needs to be broken in. And as odd as it may sound, try jumping on it or rolling around on it to soften it up!

I really love that *New* "Sleep-Number" bed, or is it the "Select Comfort" where you control the firmness of the matress. It has the air-pockets in it. My ex-boyfriend has one and it is the only bed beside my own that I can get a good-nights sleep in! They are pretty expensive, but if you value sleep as much as I do then it is WELL worth it!

I am sure you will get use to your new bed, don't give up yet!

-Haley

we invested in a Select Comfort bed last summer, and it took about two weeks before I felt comfortable enough to sleep the whole night through on the thing, it's so different from a regular mattress. But I did get used to it.

I guess it's like anything else -- give it a bit of time to get used to (two-three weeks) it, then if you can't live with it, send it back.

• Author
Just A Girl2

Thanks for all your replies to this silly question LOL

Amazon, about jumping on it..haha..from the research I've done on 'buying a new bed' (after the fact lol), it warns against letting kids jump on a bed because it fekks up the boxspring (which makes sense)...so I won't be doing that LOL

In doing some online reading about all this, I came to realize...holy crappola! You guys in the U.S. pay a heckuva lot less for beds!! (which is a good thing). This one I bought, was $1450 for the set (Canada). The one above it, better bed, it was $2200 (but on sale for $1800). This latter one DID feel reallly good, but I actually didn't notice all that much difference between it and the one I bought, so.....

I will give it a couple of weeks. I didn't sleep too bad last night, but I guess I just envisioned this new bed being one I'd just sink into, luxurious LOL My cats give it a 2-paws up. 4 of the 5 of them were all snuggled up all over it through the night.....in fact, my oldest girl Tigger, she had her head right on the pillow, like a human LOLOL

It's soooo high though. You sure wouldn't want to be falling out of bed. My big cat, Taco, who's 23 lbs (big, as well as overweight)....he hasn't even tried to get up on it, poor thing. Long ways up! I think I remember my previous bed, when it was new, being SOOO HIGH, but over time, I guess it just became more compact.

Anyway, thanks everyone. Hope to be having a great sleep soon! Have one b*tch of a headache today, since yesterday, and I wonder if the firmness of the bed (related to my upper back/neck area) contributed to it? sheesh