Ran half marathon, now have no interest?

I ran my very first half marathon - one of the items on my "bucket list" two weeks ago... and I haven't run a day since then.

I used to get so much pleasure out of running. It made me feel good inside and out and I was the biggest running zealot. Now, I just feel burned out. Anyone else go through this? What's the fix?

Congratulations!! That's a big accomplishment. :)

I've run 3 half-marathons and I've experienced the same thing after most, if not all of them. I wouldn't fight it; your body certainly needed the rest in the first week, and mentally getting back in the game can thereafter be a challenge too (that is, assuming you WANT to get back into running). (Do you?)

In the past I have essentially given up running over the fall/winter (October races) and switched to other activities - yoga, climbing - and then picked running back up in the spring.

I don't want to do that this year, though, because I lose a lot of aerobic fitness that I have to rebuild again, so I went and signed up for a marathon next spring with a group of people - which means I'll have plenty of motivation/peer support to keep me going over the colder months.

Good luck. :)

I ran my very first half marathon - one of the items on my "bucket list" two weeks ago... and I haven't run a day since then.

I used to get so much pleasure out of running. It made me feel good inside and out and I was the biggest running zealot. Now, I just feel burned out. Anyone else go through this? What's the fix?

That is natural, give yourself time to rest. Do some cross training like biking or even some hiking.

Likely you over trained for the marathon. If your a runner some day soon you be driving home as see some running and be jealous. Then you will put your shoes on a go for a run!

After that happens find a fun race to work towards like a 5k or something to give you a goal.

• Author

Thanks to both of you! I was starting to feel soooo guilty about not running. You're right - I need to let it go for a little bit. I did train super hard - it felt like a part-time job at the end - and as thrilled as I was when I finished, I didn't have the mojo after.

Running is my thing. I truly, truly love it. I started running in earnest three years ago and have experienced short breaks - it gets very hot down here to run in the high summer months - but nothing as long as two weeks. I do think I'll cross train though. Perhaps get back into the pool (my BF does triathlons so I started swimming with him last year). Then, I'll wait for the natural impetus to kick back in.

I'm online now looking for new shoes - just in case it comes back sooner!

• 2 weeks later...

So have you started again?

Thanks to both of you! I was starting to feel soooo guilty about not running. You're right - I need to let it go for a little bit. I did train super hard - it felt like a part-time job at the end - and as thrilled as I was when I finished, I didn't have the mojo after.

Running is my thing. I truly, truly love it. I started running in earnest three years ago and have experienced short breaks - it gets very hot down here to run in the high summer months - but nothing as long as two weeks. I do think I'll cross train though. Perhaps get back into the pool (my BF does triathlons so I started swimming with him last year). Then, I'll wait for the natural impetus to kick back in.

I'm online now looking for new shoes - just in case it comes back sooner!

How long ago, how long did you train? When I ran big miles in high school I was always supposed to take off 1-2 weeks between seasons (about every 3 months). Don't forget new trainers too!! I was cheap and would wait until mine would fall apart but thats not good.

You've achieved your goal of running your first half marathon. Congratulations! Not many people can or want to run 13.1 miles, but you did.

Take some time off to heal from all the training. Running is a high impact activity. I'm no expert, but have done all the races between 5K and the full 26.2 mile marathon - what I've found is after I run, my body responds well to a reduced run schedule.

Instead of running 4-5 days a week, cut down to 3 days a week. Cut back your distance too. Add some weight training, cycling, swimming or yoga the other days to keep yourself fit - but nothing too high impact.

On the days that you do run, run on different surfaces. Do a tempo run on a trail - trail is much easier on the legs than track or road. Do some speed work on sand or up a hill. Do a slow, long jog for distance work.

Make sure you are stretching well afterwards. Get a massage if need be.