Losing a few pounds and Toning

This is my first post...I am 5'6, 124lbs and I would like to shed about 8lbs. For the past 3wks. I have been doing several of those 30 minute aerobic tapes 5 days a wk.. I am also using ankle weights during my entire workout, set at 4lbs. and doing some upper exercises after my workout with 3lb. hand weights. I haven't however modified my eating and to my dismay I haven't lost one pound although I feel better physically. Do I actually have to DIET to lose this small amount of weight or do I need to incorporate something else into my routine?

Just A Girl2

Not to put you down, but based on your height and current weight, why on earth do you THINK you need to lose ANY weight? What made you pick the number "116 lbs"? (what you say you want to drop down to) I don't know what size of frame you have, but just based on your height of 5'6", 116 lbs is underweight, IMO.

What makes you think you NEED to lose this weight?

Working out 5 days a week seems a little much to me. I'd always heard that one should do it every second day, not daily.

If you don't happen to notice a decrease in lbs, it could be that you're increasing your lean muscle mass..and muscle weighs more than fat......so you might actually be losing inches, but gaining a bit more muscle, therefore, you don't see any loss when you step on the scales.

I think it is a good question as to why you feel the need to drop in weight. You are not in an unhealthy bodyweight category.

I think this is a good example of how ineffective aerobics and "cardio" can be for weight management. It would not surprise me at all if the sum of your effort was equal to the calories in a single pound of bodyfat.

Dietary manipulation and improvement is PARAMOUNT for any approach towards fitness. A mild caloric reduction will cause your body to expend bodyfat stores while at REST. A proper strength training program will lead to increased muscle mass, which also means more calories expended at REST (each pound of muscle tissue requires 30-50 calories per day just to exist). This is valuable for 2 reasons:

First, the less intense an activity is, the greater the percentage of calories derived from fat sources. The only way to get less intense than being at rest is by sleeping....and oddly enough sleeping is when you expend the GREATEST percentage of calories from bodyfat. Most people don't tell you that the aerobic (fat-for-energy) and anaerobic (sugar-for-energy) metabolic pathways are both ALWAYS on. They only vary in usage depending on how demanding an activity is. As the demands on your muscular system increase, a greater amount of energy is derived from the anaerobic pathway.

Second, a great deal of the activities done for "cardio" or "aerobics" put a disturbing amount of stress on the skeletal system. By altering our approach such that we expend a bit more calories than we take in ALL THROUGHOUT THE DAY, there is no need to subject our bodies to structural abuse for the sake of looking better in a bikini.

Not that I wear bikinis.

• Author

I said I wanted to lose about 8lbs...Most of my adult life I have weighed between 115-118 and been in good health but over the past year and half moving up to 125lbs has made me feel sluggish. I am medium boned but I am pear shaped so I have been concentrating on my body from the waist down for the most part. No, I probably don't NEED to lose the weight but another year down the road if I don't jumpstart my metabolism now I may feel even more sluggish and have a more difficult time exercising. I'd like to nip this butt now:) I don't think contributing 30 minutes a day, Monday-Friday to my physical health is excessive. I feel this approach is far healthier than spending my time counting calories or taking diet pills.

• Author

Ok I just read Ryan's post...not once did I say anything about looking good and bikini's are the last thing on my mind. This is about how I feel physically. Since the weight gain I feel physically sluggish, weaker, more tired out. I'm confused as to what you're saying...In your opinion I'm wasting my time? I should cut back the calories, lift some weights and sleep more? All I want to do is lose a few pounds and tone up while I'm doing it. In defense of the aerobics I have had more energy and felt generally better since I started...

I am medium boned but I am pear shaped so I have been concentrating on my body from the waist down for the most part.

It is impossible to spot reduce bodyfat. Women tend to carry bodyfat in the hip/thigh region, even while appearing quite lean in other areas. It is a genetic factor. To reduce bodyfat in one area, you simply must reduce it as a whole.

No, I probably don't NEED to lose the weight but another year down the road if I don't jumpstart my metabolism now I may feel even more sluggish and have a more difficult time exercising.

A jumpstart is just that...a start. You want to permanently increase your metabolic needs.

I'm confused as to what you're saying...In your opinion I'm wasting my time?

It's not my opinion. You're TELLING me that you are wasting your time. You wouldn't be here asking for help if this approach was productive.

I should cut back the calories, lift some weights and sleep more?

I'm saying that living a healthy lifestyle is not done for 8lbs at a time. It is something you do with long term aspirations in mind. Besides, if that small of a weight change can notably alter your daily living, then you weren't in particularly good shape before.

• Author

I thank you for the replies and I suppose if I stay at this weight and can regain the energy and tone up I would be satisfied....

First, I agree that I have to make some permanent changes concerning my dietary habits...the cookies and cupcakes are gone. My refrigerator is now loaded with fruits and vegetables. My cheeseburgers and fries replaced by turkey sandwiches and applesauce...and I've got 1% milk and reduced calorie mayo...and the list goes on.

As for the exercising...hhmmm, still not sure what to do about that??? Right now all I have are 3lb hand and 5lb ankle weights. If I can't spot reduce, can I at least tone up... Could I cut out the aerobic section of my tapes and just proceed with extra reps of the targeted exercises for arms, abs, legs, hips and thighs?

HokeyReligions

Using weights increases muscle mass. Muscle weighs more than fat so a weight loss probably won't show up on the scales.

Increase your water intake. Drink lots of COLD water all day long. This is healthy anyway. Drop the weights and do more stretching exercises.

Even out your routine - more cardio / aerobic on odd days, and more stretching/toning on even days.

Keep drinking that water!