Just started at gym

Hello everyone,

I just started a cardio and wieghtlifting program. I am about 25 pounds overwieght.

My goal is to get heart healthy, lose excess fat and gain some muscle. I do have a trainer. Well two of them. One is for the cardio and one for the weights. Go figure.

What I am confused about is what to eat. I don't eat alot of protein. Never have. I like cheese a little to much. lol. I have never had a hamburger or hotdog. Don't like em or the meat. Never have. I do like beef jerky or steaks as long as lean.

Also someone mentioned 6 small meals a day?

The program is cardio 4 times a week at least for 45 minutes. and weight training 3 days a week (mon., wes., fri.) should I be doing more or less.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Woodsyone

If you want to know what to eat, ask your trainers. I'm sure you're paying them enough and if they have good bodies they must be eating the right stuff. Ask them.

There are many foods that have protein you can choose from. You can get ample protein by eating a variety of vegetarian foods such as legumes (i.e. beans, soybean), vegetables, whole grains, seeds, and nuts. There are many ways to prepare beans that are delicious and healthy. Read food labels.

There are also books available on sources of protein in varieties of foods you may be more interested in.

Eating six small meals a day maintains your blood sugar level at a better range to avoid hunger, supplies your body with its needs in a more timely way and helps prevent binge eating which results in consumption of far more food than necessary. However, some people are not able to do this because of work or other scheduling problems. But if you are able to prepare small, balanced meals and consume them every two to three hours...that's great.

You may also want to consider a protein food supplement, something you can find at a good health food store. Protein keeps you from having those feelings of hunger and will help build muscle. Any meals devoid of some protein will cause your hunger to increase shortly thereafter. That's why people who have coffee and donuts for breakfast are famished by 10 a.m.

Again, start with asking your trainers and don't be shy about seeking detail. If they don't have the answers, they can refer you to nutritionists, books, etc. where you can get the information you need.

Good luck on achieving your goals.

• Author

Thanks for responding Tony. I will ask them asap. One of them gave me the food pyramid paper. A protein supplement is a good idea.

Thanks again for the tips.

Sincerely, Woodsyone

I wouldn't be so quick to blindly follow the words of these trainers. Almost all trainers I've met are complete idiots...merely regurgitating what they read to pass a certification test without any critical thinking ability. The fact that they gave you two trainers is a good sign of this. That is one of the more absurd things I've heard in a long time.

I understand the goals of reducing bodyfat and increasing muscle mass, but the idea of "heart healthy" is rather ambiguous. The fitness industry thrives on imprecise and inaccurate descriptions of physiology. It sounds like you've been ushered into far too much gym time as a result of this.

As for feeding, protein is usually not an issue. Most people eat more than sufficient protein. You say you don't eat hamburgers or hot dogs....ok. What about other sources? Chicken? Turkey? Fish? Milk? Are you vegetarian? I can't point out problems without details.

Eating 4-6 smaller meals a day is preferable, as previously mentioned. I would also recommend avoiding processed foods when possible. Try to stick to fresher sources.