Question about cardio workouts

I'm a network engineer and have a pretty sedentary job :o . I decided to join my local gym to lose a few, okay... more than a few pounds. My cardio program is 30-45 minutes on a Precor Brand Elliptical Fitness Crosstrainer (As Seen Here) at least 5 days a week on the Weight Loss setting and a weights program every other day.

As far as the elliptical machine goes... Does this look like a good machine to perform my cardio on? There are, of course, all kinds of treadmills and cycles but that is all stuff I've done before and are... well... bored with. Any thoughts on this machine?

Looks like it will work most of the body. The key is to keep in your target heart range (THR). Subtract your age from 220 which equals your THR. You should be at 70-75% of your THR for fat burning or 75-78% for extreme fat burning. You'll do nothing but burn sugar if your are below 70% and will do nothing to your body but get tired if your are above 85% or your THR.

Do 4-5 min. on your machine, stop and take your pulse for 15 sec. and X it by 4 and then adjust. Unless of course it has a built in heart rate monitor.

Good luck.

• Author

About the heart rate... If I subtract my age (21) from 220 I come back with 199.. The "trainer" at the gym told me I should be 130-160 and the machine's range (it does have a built in heart monitor) says I should be within 140-170 for fat burn... Should it be as high as the subtraction of 220 method?

I really like the Crosstrainer bc it's easy on the joints. I find it more fun than the treadmill or bike....I get bored easily, and at least you are moving your arms and legs. Sometimes, I push with my arms...then I'll push with my feet, just to change it up a bit. I guess you are supposed to do them both at the same time, but that bores me. LOL