hey, i've read a few of the topics here, and no one mentioned being out of shape..

well i'm not overweight, i'm around 6"1 and weigh 165 which i think is pretty normal according to the shape of my body.. i do have a little belly though..

what i'm saying here.. is that i eat a lot but i don't work out much, if not at all.. and i'm totally out of shape.. for instance, i can't play a game of basketball for more than 10 minutes!

any pointers on how/where to start ?

i also mentioned that i eat a lot.. so if i start eating something, it just won't be enough and i can hardly stop...

i can go on a whole day without eating (which have given me stomach pains) but when i start, that's it for me..

any tips how to control this?

p.s. i smoke as well, so that kinda replaces food i guess, but on the other hand, it's not good for exercise, i know :p

OK man. First off. Quit smoking. That is priority number 1. Replace it with exercise. Definitely start lifting weights, run, play more basketball, tennis, ride a bike, etc. Instead of smoking you will find yourself doing these things instead. Drop a bad habit and start some good ones. It's never too late to start.

Sounds to me like you got a high metabolism. You can eat all you want and not gain any weight. Except maybe a little in the gut. I recommend eating something at least every two or three hours. Always plan for this.

Next time you go to the store, buy mostly healthy food (I'm sure you know what's healthy) and a little junk food that you usually eat. Begin your new diet and exercise program. Eat your junk food one time out of the week. After a while you will not want to eat it anymore since you will be used to eating healthy stuff. Don't stuff yourself at every meal either. Eat until you are full. I know, I used to stuff myself too, but trust me this is bad.

All this is not very hard to do. You just have to want it. Determination. Persistence. Just do it and stick with it. Start off slow on the exercising but eventually build your way up. You will start to look and feel great plus your confidence level will skyrocket.

I am saying all this from personal experience, by the way.

Also, get at least 7-8 hours of sleep a night. Get on a schedule. Write it down. When you are gonna work out. What exercise you are gonna do. Even what you are gonna eat until it becomes second nature.

So these are some of my suggestions!

• Author

those are great tips..

i'll get to it right away..

quitting smoking will be hard for me to do, especially since most of my friends smoke when we're out together...

about the high metabolism part, i'm not sure if that's exactly true..

if i don't eat at all i lose a bit of weight, but when i eat again i gain it all back.. maybe you're right i guess.. my weight always averages around

170-180 (i calculated wrong before.. from kg to lbs.. i meant i weigh 175)

anyway, i guess i gotta have strongwillpower to do all you said.. i'll take it step by step...

i could start with pushups and situps, starting with 5-10 first few days, then 10-20 the next week.. lifting weights a bit.. running 10 minutes first, then 20 then 30... etc...

i know there's a rule about taking every other day off doing exercise, is that right?

Yeah that's right oak, start off slow. Work your way up. That's the idea. If you are really serious about getting into shape, you need to stop smoking. I think people have more willpower than they give themselves credit for. You can do it. Get the patch or chew the gum if you have to. Especially around your friends. Even then the second hand smoke is bad for you. See if one of your smoking buddies will quit with you and start this new diet and exercise program.

Yes the easiest way to begin exercising if you don't have equipment is to use your own body weight. But this will only take you so far. Pushups, situps, lunges are all good. Go get yourself some running shoes. You can buy some decent ones for under $40. You may also want to buy a cheap stopwatch. Do some stretches then get out there. Jog five minutes, then turn around and go back. You'll be amazed how easy it is, I think. Don't go so fast that you wear yourself out after a couple minutes. The idea is to jog. Then eventually increase to a comfortable pace and go longer. What really helps me along is music. Get yourself one of those portable MP3 players (the Samsung Yepp is what I have). Download some music from your computer and you are set!

And as far as taking a day off between exercises....this means don't work the same body parts two days in a row. Your muscles need time to recover. But I basically work out one day, run the next, etc. I take a day off a week as a free day.

HokeyReligions

You need to change your eating pattern. My husband used to live like that and his doctor told him that was one of the key reasons he is diabetic today. He has to test his blood several times a day and takes a lot of different meds.

You need to eat regularly - every 4-6 hours anyway. Even if it's just an apple and a few fig newtons. Your body needs a regular flow of energy and calories to stay healthy.

Exercise is important but one thing you can do is to drink more water. When you want a cigarette - drink a bottle of water instead.

Get an elastic band (not a rubber-band) go to a medical supply store and get the kind they use in physical therapy. It just a long piece of rubber or elastic, about 4 inches wide. When you are watching TV, stretch the band over your head, or behind your back or come up with some different ways of holding it and stretching it, for about 10 minutes. This is the beginning of getting into shape and you can do it while watching TV!

Stand up and just do some basic stretching/calestenics for 10 minutes a day. While watching TV, or just before you shower or something. Movement on a regular basis, and eating properly will help you.

You don't have to cut out your favorite foods, but you do need to focus on portions! If you eat regularly you should'nt be so hungry at each meal so it will take less to fill you up. The water will help too.

Try a patch or see your doctor, or check out some websites that will help you quit smoking.

http://www.hoptechno.com/book43.htm