OK. I never thought I'd be asking for this advice but here I am.:laugh: I need to gain some weight back. Since I stopped drinking nearly 1 year ago I lost 10 pounds real quick. Then due to all my panic I lost another 5. I now feel to thin.:mad: I like it when my face was a litte fuller. So, what can I eat that's still healthy.. but will pack on a few pounds? For breakfast I normally have oatmeal, a banana and some yougurt.

Mea:)

Start out with a breakfast of bacon (or sausage), eggs, juice and toast.

GorillaTheater

Our six-year-old son has some growth problems, and one of the things we do is load him up with "Ensure" until the poor guy is practically sloshing. One can has something like 350 calories and is loaded with vitamins, minerals and so forth. Comes in vanilla, strawberry and chocolate. He loves the stuff, so despite some doubts on my part it apparently tastes okay.

• Author
Start out with a breakfast of bacon (or sausage), eggs, juice and toast.

Good idea. Except, I don't want to do that everday because all that meat is not heart healthy. That's why I've been doing the oatmeal thing.

Our six-year-old son has some growth problems, and one of the things we do is load him up with "Ensure" until the poor guy is practically sloshing. One can has something like 350 calories and is loaded with vitamins, minerals and so forth. Comes in vanilla, strawberry and chocolate. He loves the stuff, so despite some doubts on my part it apparently tastes okay.

Is that like a shake?

GorillaTheater
Is that like a shake?

Yeah, the consistency is close to that of a shake, maybe not quite as thick.

• Author
Yeah, the consistency is close to that of a shake, maybe not quite as thick.

I'll have to try that. Or perhaps, just regular old milk shakes. Me likes those.:D

For lunch today, I made myself a roastbeef sandwhich with sliced tomato and swiss cheese and went a little heavy on the mayo. A side of red grapes and a glass of milk. I'm thinking this will add a few more calories instead of my normal Tuna on light bread, carrots sticks and water.

blind_otter

I lived on ensure for 3 years while I had idiopathic gastropareisis and my stomach muscles didn't work properly. It is possibly the most disgusting beverage there is.

I would recommend trying to gain weight through traditional means, rather than this beverage. I felt gross and yucky the entire time I had to drink it, but it was either force that stuff down my throat or get a j-tube surgically inserted into my intestines, so I chose to drink the gross stuff.

Talk to a R.D. or a nutritionist. Consult with your doctor first, as always.

GorillaTheater
I lived on ensure for 3 years while I had idiopathic gastropareisis and my stomach muscles didn't work properly. It is possibly the most disgusting beverage there is.

I would recommend trying to gain weight through traditional means, rather than this beverage. I felt gross and yucky the entire time I had to drink it, but it was either force that stuff down my throat or get a j-tube surgically inserted into my intestines, so I chose to drink the gross stuff.

Well, in all fairness, if I was limited to just one "food" for three years, even medium-rare T-bones, I'd probably feel kind of gross and yucky about it after a while too. But this does kind of confirm my suspicions about the taste.

Good advice re talking to a professional about this.

• Author

Thanks for that info BO.:) I was thinking of talking to my doc but, the thing is I'm not underweight really for my height according to the charts, I'm perfect. I'm just so sick of everyone saying "oh my"! "You have lost so much weight" like its a bad thing when it really is not because there was a reason behind it. When I drank I loved my beer and beer is loaded with carbs.. major calories knocked off right there. I'd like my face to look a touch fullier as well. OK..sorry for the little rant there.:o

blind_otter

well you could just start baking a lot. With all those carbs around you're bound to want to have a nibble and as we all know - it's the nibbles that add up, more than anything else.

And congrats on not drinking!!

laRubiaBonita

pedia-sure taste waaay worse..

similarly to B_O.. i was forced to drink ensure or have it tube fed to me.... i think that is why i have such a strong reaction to it.

after a few days my pee smelled of ensure- bleh :sick:

try drinking whole milk, full fat yogurts, cover your salads with creamy dressings... eat cheese and nuts..

• Author
well you could just start baking a lot. With all those carbs around you're bound to want to have a nibble and as we all know - it's the nibbles that add up, more than anything else.

And congrats on not drinking!!

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

I like this idea alot! Although, I must admit I am no Betty Crocker.:laugh:

Thanks.:) I'm real proud of my sobriety. Coming up on a year and WOW..I'm so much happier now that I have accepted the fact that I am powerless over alcohol... freedom at last.:)

• Author
pedia-sure taste waaay worse..

similarly to B_O.. i was forced to drink ensure or have it tube fed to me.... i think that is why i have such a strong reaction to it.

after a few days my pee smelled of ensure- bleh :sick:

try drinking whole milk, full fat yogurts, cover your salads with creamy dressings... eat cheese and nuts..

Funny thing is I eat a ton of walnuts because they are good for your heart. I wonder if they don't have many calories?? I also eat cheese and yogurt too.:confused:

Eat more healthy fats and added oils. Fatty fish, nuts, seeds. Add more oils (olive, canola, etc.) to your meals and recipes.

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

I like this idea alot! Although, I must admit I am no Betty Crocker.:laugh:

Thanks.:) I'm real proud of my sobriety. Coming up on a year and WOW..I'm so much happier now that I have accepted the fact that I am powerless over alcohol... freedom at last.:)

i am curious to see how this works out for you MP.

i too - am sober a bit more time than you. congrats to both of us!

thing is, not only do i feel too thin - i definitely don't have the same strength that i used to. i need to get back my muscle tone that used to be so easy to maintain. i just moved, and i notice that i can hardly pick up a light box.

i shouldn't feel wimpy because i am actually taking better care of myself than i have in 30 years... but my body is saying something else... and don't even get me started on the toxins that continue to come out by way of my skin...

doesn't matter though, bottom line is that i still feel a million times better than when i drank.

• Author
Eat more healthy fats and added oils. Fatty fish, nuts, seeds. Add more oils (olive, canola, etc.) to your meals and recipes.

I'll have to try this thanks.:)

i am curious to see how this works out for you MP.

i too - am sober a bit more time than you. congrats to both of us!

thing is, not only do i feel too thin - i definitely don't have the same strength that i used to. i need to get back my muscle tone that used to be so easy to maintain. i just moved, and i notice that i can hardly pick up a light box.

i shouldn't feel wimpy because i am actually taking better care of myself than i have in 30 years... but my body is saying something else... and don't even get me started on the toxins that continue to come out by way of my skin...

doesn't matter though, bottom line is that i still feel a million times better than when i drank.

Good for you 2sunny!:D It is a great feeling to be free from the drink. I'm glad you feel better too.:)

As for the muscle tone.. and strength, have you tired yoga or walking? Both of these activities help me.

• 2 months later...
  • Author

Update

Ok. I'm down another 2 pounds and this has me worried.:confused: I feel like I look to thin and I'm eating. Not a whole lot of fatting stuff, but I am eating. My appetite is not that great and I think it's from all the worry. Has anyone ever tired ensure? If so did it work?

Sweetcheripie

I think you should speak with your doctor. Your weight loss is probably due to the stress but it might be a good idea to run it by him/her.

The Ensure is a good suggestion. Some people don't like the taste but it was the first thing nurses told my Aunt to add when she was fighting cancer.

With your heart stuff I'm just worried about you adding bad fats or bad carbs.

Sounds like you are naturally eating pretty low carb - maybe add some shakes made with Ensure and blended with fruits. A couple of shakes a day with protein, milk and lots of fruit should add lots of calories/good carbs - if you are still losing after adding that many calories your doctor will want to know.

P.S. Congrats on being dry!!!!!!! and hang in there!