would you befriend a fat person?

I'd known some people say that being fat brings negative energy to others. And that being fat means others would look down on them since they overeat or don't care about themselves. Do most people choose not to befriend fat people?

I'd known some people say that being fat brings negative energy to others. And that being fat means others would look down on them since they overeat or don't care about themselves. Do most people choose not to befriend fat people?

it really depends on your definition of "fat".....some people think 20 lbs overweight is fat and some think 100 lbs overweight is fat

I wouldn't consciously NOT be friends with a fat person. (depends on what you define as 'fat').

However seeing as I am quite an active person and enjoy healthy food, then maybe we wouldn't have so many things in common and therefore wouldn't go out of our way to spend time together?

Not sure on that. I will probably get flamed for it, but I assume that most of my friends are normal healthy weights because we all like the same things and are pro- active about it.

Of course I'd still be friends with a fat person. Just because they're fat doesn't mean they don't care about themselves. I'm sure if you asked, 95% of fat people would say they'd love to lose weight.

Losing weight isn't that easy.

I'm overweight, not by a great deal, but could definitely do with losing a bit, which I'm in the process of doing. But even though I do need to lose weight - doesn't mean I don't look after myself, nor does it mean I'm lazy. Oh and I don't overeat, never have - I just eat the wrong things.

I'm overweight,

If you're really a cutesy pink monkey, then I don't think you're going to have much trouble making friends. In fact, you may soon tire of people constantly fondling you in a questionable manner. So maybe it's just that you're not making the right kind of friends.

Statistically speaking, isn't most of the country overweight?

Sounds like a lonely life, choosing friends based on a BMI.

That's true. It's already that way or getting that way in Britian too.

Yes. My only requirements of a friendship is that we share something in common (hobby, belief, etc) or relate to each other in some way. My criteria are rather simple and leaves room for many different types of people. I am much less picky about friendships compared to relationships.

I don't agree with all of the views and eating habits of the fat (maybe 50 lbs. overweight) friends I have right now (because I myself am very health conscious), but I also don't expect to. We have other mutual interests and views (sports, music, religion, politics, etc) and food is not a major reason for our friendships.

I think your question is asking...would I seek to become friends with someone who is obese?

The definition of a fat person varies as has been said. However, when I say obese, we all have a similar image in our minds.

And no, I would not seek out a friendship with one who is obese. However, becoming friends with someone despite their obesity is a different thing. I have and have had friends who would be considered obese, but these friendships have developed due to a commonality such as work or a a hobby.

The reverse is true. I would not end a friendship with someone because they have become obese.

Then the question can be asked...do I think differently of someone who is obese versus someone who is in great shape when I see them in public? And the answer is yes.

The point that can be taken though is....obese people are discriminated against in many ways. Many people will not bother getting to know the person under the fat because of preconceived notions and stereotypes....which unfortunately are many times true.

Fat people are sad people. I don't know where that expression fat and jolly came from but it's off. Most fat people I see look miserable, like "please don't even look at me nevermind talk to me".

Now some are not like that. Some seem okay with their weight and they are the people I could befriend only because they want to make friends with me as well.

The others seem to scream "please let me be with my pie and half gallon of ice cream now. I'm in a bad mood."

Of course, I'd befriend a fat person. I much prefer them to skinny people. They usually have a kinder heart and a great sense of humour.

Of course, I'd befriend a fat person. I much prefer them to skinny people. They usually have a kinder heart and a great sense of humour.

Don't you ever see some that look miserable though? How can you befriend someone who looks miserable? I don't know. I usually see them food shopping and when they see me they seem miserable.

My kid is fat. FAT. I worry about his weight. I don't want him to be miserable.

Now I'm not saying that skinny is a happy pill. It's not. But overeating is a psychological crutch for many many fat people. The problem is they eat to feel better but feel worse because they've eaten. And the other problem is it is apparent to anyone who sees them. So it's like everybody knows.

I think they're sad.

Don't you ever see some that look miserable though? How can you befriend someone who looks miserable? I don't know. I usually see them food shopping and when they see me they seem miserable.

They may be miserable, I mean, face it, who wants to be fat? But they are often very nice people and fun to be with me.

Yes, I understand your concern about your child. I, too, would be worried. Have you tried taking him to a dietician/nutritionist?

Yes, I understand your concern about your child. I, too, would be worried. Have you tried taking him to a dietician/nutritionist?

No. We were suppose to have bloodwork done. I took both of the kids Saturday for bloodwork. They need to have fasting bloodwork because their dad has diabetes. I made them fast. The place was closed.

Right now my son and up have been getting up at 5 am to do push-ups and sit-ups. I know I need to control his portions. That's apparent. But I figured if I could help him change some fat into muscle he'd raise his metabolic rate.

I feel bad for him. I feel bad for all fat people.

I don't think of people in terms of fat or skinny. They're people in general.

If we have commonality, then yes, why not be friends? If we don't have any commonality, why be friends?

And yet, when I think of my friends, none are "obese", with relatively healthy lifestyles. Sure, a few could stand to lose 10 to 20 lbs but that's their body and they're healthy and happy that way. They don't have to want what I want, since I don't need to live with them.

They need to have fasting bloodwork because their dad has diabetes. I made them fast. The place was closed.

I am sorry. Child diabetes is on the uprise, so, you need to very vigilant. I hope the blood test results are good as I can imagine how worried you must be.

Once they are out, I would definitely take him to a dietician/nutritionist. If he is young, you can pretty much control what he eats, so that's a plus.

I am sorry. Child diabetes is on the uprise, so, you need to very vigilant. I hope the blood test results are good as I can imagine how worried you must be.

Once they are out, I would definitely take him to a dietician/nutritionist. If he is young, you can pretty much control what he eats, so that's a plus.

Thank you. No he's a sneaker. He does it at his dad's house too. Wakes up in the middle of the night and eats. My main problem with that is we always have bread and we always have peanut butter and he can always eat that. Which isn't the best. Especially at 3 in the morning.

But I will wait and see what the test results bring. I wanted it done on Saturday because of no school. Now I have to wait until Christmas break. Thank you though.

But I will wait and see what the test results bring. I wanted it done on Saturday because of no school. Now I have to wait until Christmas break. Thank you though.

Good luck with the results, A. And do take him to an expert after that.

I feel bad for him. I feel bad for all fat people.

I pity you. I wonder what will happen if your kid turns out to have nothing and is just fat cause there is no lock on the closet for the bread + peanutbutter. Or when he lives on his own when the time is there.

Anyway regarding befriending people. I don't care if they're fat or thin as long as I get along with them. I'm not thin myself due to medical reasons, sometimes I'm miserable, sometimes I feel great. Guess what EVERYONE has that. No person feels great all the time, that's not possible.

I don't eat when I'm feeling crap, so it's bull that all fat people eat when they feel like ****. I know plenty of people who are thin, but they puke out their food after eating it cause they feel ****.

Plenty of people who can eat anything and don't gain weight without even doing sports, and alot of people who gain while eating healthy and doing sports.

Regardless, I can safely put I'm probably more healthy then most thin people regardless of being fat or not. My cholesterol is fine, I don't smoke, I don't drink. I eat my vegetables. I barely eat candy. I don't like anything from Mcdonalds or any of those brands and I can continue regarding that.

Of course I'd be friends with fat people. Already am. Always have been. Always will be. Fat doesn't prevent people from being good listeners, from enjoying the same movies and concerts and art galleries I do, from having a sense of humor I can appreciate and enjoy, from sharing a love of gardening with me, from being interested in politics and books and the price of oil, or from discussing what our companies are doing to weather the current state of the economy. Nor does it prevent them from going to yoga class with me, or belly dancing, or for walks along the lakefront.

There are lots of people who are fat out there, and I will know more and more over time since people tend to put on weight as they age and/or have multiple babies and age.

amaysngrace, you'd think I was sad, too, if you saw me in the grocery store and I only weigh 135. I hate grocery shopping, and I can't begin to imagine how miserable I look when I'm in there most of the time. Especially in winter when I'm unbearably hot in my hat, scarf and coat. I wouldn't use misery in the grocery store as a barometer of general happiness. I'll bet if you looked at thin people in the grocery store, they'd look sad too. :laugh:

I pity you. I wonder what will happen if your kid turns out to have nothing and is just fat cause there is no lock on the closet for the bread + peanutbutter. Or when he lives on his own when the time is there.

Anyway regarding befriending people. I don't care if they're fat or thin as long as I get along with them. I'm not thin myself due to medical reasons, sometimes I'm miserable, sometimes I feel great. Guess what EVERYONE has that. No person feels great all the time, that's not possible.

I don't eat when I'm feeling crap, so it's bull that all fat people eat when they feel like ****. I know plenty of people who are thin, but they puke out their food after eating it cause they feel ****.

Plenty of people who can eat anything and don't gain weight without even doing sports, and alot of people who gain while eating healthy and doing sports.

Regardless, I can safely put I'm probably more healthy then most thin people regardless of being fat or not. My cholesterol is fine, I don't smoke, I don't drink. I eat my vegetables. I barely eat candy. I don't like anything from Mcdonalds or any of those brands and I can continue regarding that.

I see from all of your **s in your post just how very happy you are.

Thank you. No he's a sneaker. He does it at his dad's house too. Wakes up in the middle of the night and eats. My main problem with that is we always have bread and we always have peanut butter and he can always eat that. Which isn't the best. Especially at 3 in the morning.
Switch to wheat bread or something that doesn't taste very good especially with peanut butter.

Have him snack on banannas and tomatos instead. If he doesn't like it, require him to chew and swallow a small portion every day until he finally does.