I want to gain weight!

Hello All. I am an 18 year old male, 5'7 and around 105 pounds. I desperately want to beef up. I am going to start working out, but I don't know what type of routine I should do to build muscle mass. Does anybody have any advice?

Check out the forum at www.bodybuilding.com. There is a lot of info there.

Basically you want to do weightlifting exercises that involve large muscle groups. And eat LOTS of protein. Lifting only stimulates growth. The actual growth comes from nutrition.

I agree with the previous poster, but it's not just the protein intake, you have to take in more calories in general. You can accurately measure the amount based on your body weight and height and current diet, but simply doubling your caloric intake will make you gain weight.

The average American already has too much protein in their diet. Extra protein will not build extra muscle, unless you have a protein deficiency. The human body is only capable of absorbing and transforming a certain amount. Any excess protein will be excreted and might actually damage your kidneys.

electric_sheep
The average American already has too much protein in their diet. Extra protein will not build extra muscle, unless you have a protein deficiency. The human body is only capable of absorbing and transforming a certain amount. Any excess protein will be excreted and might actually damage your kidneys.

I've never been a big meat eater, and for a long time I lifted weights and didn't notice much muscle increase. Now, I was definitely "cut" or defined, but I just wasn't big. My diet at the time was more like a cyclists diet... heavy on complex carbs (whole grains, pasta, etc...).

On a whim I started eating more protein, and sure enough I ended up putting on about 10 pounds of extra lean muscle.

So, this leads me to believe protein really does make a difference. I wish there were some scientific studies that really went into this. On the bodybuilding sites there seems to be a combo of scientific and "pseudo" scientific/folk lore. Sometimes the folk lore is grounded in reality, as I think the protein thing is.

You're right about the body not being able to process but so much protein, but I think it's so much at one time. 20g in one shot, i think they say. Anything else should be eating at the next meal/snack.

I honestly can't consume the amount of calories/protein required to maintain a big size. 150-155 is about all I can manage. Otherwise I just feel like I'm eating all the time.

Hello All. I am an 18 year old male, 5'7 and around 105 pounds. I desperately want to beef up. I am going to start working out, but I don't know what type of routine I should do to build muscle mass. Does anybody have any advice?

Anything you do will build muscle mass if you're not working out already. Your appetite should increase the more you lift. Getting enough protein is important, though you don't have to overdo it. Routines can vary, find one you like or make one yourself.

The important thing is you understand the basic concept of bodybuilding (and muscle building). You are simply stressing your muscles to the point at which they tear slightly (microtrauma) and then you allow them to repair. When they repair they grow back stronger. You have to continually increase intensity (such as fewer reps at heavier weight, less rest between sets, more sets, etc) to keep tearing muscle because your muscles adapt to the stress. That will allow you to continually build muscle. If you are not sore a day or two following a workout for a particular muscle group you have not cause any muscle tears and you will not see any new growth.

If you do it correctly, you will be sore. Rest those muscles until they are not sore any longer. Then work them out again, increasing the intensity each time. Pretty simple. Because certain muscle will be sore certain days, you should focus on one or two muscle groups each day, then work a different group out the next day. That will allow your individual muscles time to recover.

How's your diet? When I was your age I knew nothing about nutrition. I put on weight back then but it was fat and muscle. I've since learned how to eat right and lost most of the fat and kept most of the muscle. If you don't know anything about nutrition, get started learning. Books, magazines, internet, etc. What you eat will have the greatest influence on your gaining weight properly (i.e., putting on muscle, not fat).

For one you need to start eating alot more. Secondly just start going to gym already and lifting weights and figure it out as you go

eat more, 40% complex carbs, 40% protein, 20% good fats. Do compound exercises such as squats,deadlifts, snatches, clean and jerk, benchpress, they are total body work outs and burn more calories. Once you get better you can try the 5x5 program for more gains. Basically let your body rest to rebuild ur muscles. Look up drop sets, supersets and the 20 rep squat. A lot of it is in the nutrition, especially if you want a six pack.

• Author

I am an avid soccer player. People have told me that I'm so skinny because I am constantly running and burning off all of my fat. Should I stop playing as frequently?

I am an avid soccer player. People have told me that I'm so skinny because I am constantly running and burning off all of my fat. Should I stop playing as frequently?

Why would you stop playing the sport you like, thats like the one good thing your doing. Just eat alot more then your eating now, try to make it healthy stuff instead of sugary salty fried crap. You know throws lots of fruits and vegatables in and eat alot of carbs like pasta and you should start gaining weight and just go to the gym and start working out. Start working out before you figure all this out use the machines at the gym if you don't know what your doing and learn as you go. But I wouldn't quit soccer or even scale back if thats something you love... I mean your 18 you could join a college team and they might help you gain weight, soccer players are generaly considered very attractive not at all a reputation for being too skinny

electric_sheep

It's kind of crazy giving up something you like, if you ask me.

I love to run, and it keeps me from getting huge muscles, but I just don't care.

If you are running around a lot playing soccer I'd just recommend you EAT, EAT, EAT!

I think bodybuilding at a gym would be good (see a trainer) .. but to gain weight.. it's hard.. I was like you when I was much younger..

When I got pregnant I weigh about 87 lbs.. I was 5'2... really skinny.. there was enough space for a dictionary between my thighs.. :o

I used to eat like a pig, then drink those shakes with thousands of calories.. nothing worked..

I think it depends on your metabolism .. see your doctor.. get a complete check-up.. could be physical.. hard to say...

You are probably the 'speedy' nervous type.. ;)

the thing with the running and burning your fat so you dont gain wieght is not actully true, some people just naturally burn more calories then others, for example i do alot of sports and i have to work really hard to keep my weight down, if i eat junk food and drink soda, it wouldnt matter if i ran 5 hours per day, i would still gain weight.

and you really dont need protien at all, first of all you being so tiny your body wont absorb more then you get from your normal food. its an absolut waste and no matter what anybody tells you when your at that weight more protien wont do a damn thing. you just need some good healthy food and a regular work out in the gym and it will come over time.

You don't need to stop you probably just need to eat more. Michael Phelps ate something like 10,000 calories a day while training/competing. I'm NOT saying you should eat that much :D but soccer does burn a lot of calories so up your food intake for a while and see if that helps.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys achieve perfect balance with exact amount of protein, carbohydrates, fats and water you must consume each day of maximize your ability to build muscle. Nutrition is just as important as what you accomplish in the gym. If you don’t eat properly you can kiss your muscle gain goodbye.:):lmao::rolleyes::D

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Local florists list no credit check loans anuncios vilafranca del penedes download cell phone ringtones