eating healthy at college?

ok so i'm a college student with my own apartment

i try to eat as healthy as possible...when possible

problem is i can't cook at all

i have a george foreman, a microwave, a stove, and an oven

basically what i eat now is...eggs, yogurt, lean pockets, lean cuisine sandwhichs, plain chicken breasts, oatmeal, and soup

any1 else have any ideas or other things to mix in there...and i'll buy fruit every now and again when i'm at the grocery store

money isn't too big of an issue its more of the cooking thing thats the issue

thanks

You forgot beer, the health beverage of choice for many a college student.

May also want to buy a recipe book from a local bookstore, or Google for healthy recipes. A ton of stuff out there.

problem is i can't cook at all

i have a george foreman, a microwave, a stove, and an oven

If you can't cook, what do you use the listed appliances for - doorstops?

Regardless of skill level, you can "saute" and "grill". Get a 10" sauce pan at Target, heat it up with a little oil and throw in cut up chicken or steak with veggies. Add some store-bought sauce (watch the sodium content) and you're done! I always taught my kids to make a double portion so there was a leftover alternative to pizza and burgers for later. Same thing with your Foreman grill. Grill some chicken breasts (eggplant is a good alternative that can be prepared the same way), top with a low-fat marinara sauce and Alpine Lace cheese and you've got a great Chicken Parm. Make two and eat one on a whole grain sandwich later.

If you can pass Algebra, you can cook ;) ...

Mr. Lucky

Quit drinking so much beer is the #1. Get snack food like carrots, celery, spinach, salads (NO DRESSING!!)

Buy apples and fruit cups of whatever you like. I like peaches the most.

Get TONS of bottled water and orange juice.

Then have boxes of cereal for other snacking. I prefer cereal from Kashi, but any type of wheat cereal or any other healthy cereal will do. Kashi cereals could be found either in your usual cereal aisle, or it can be found in the health food area if you have one. Frosted Mini Wheats are good too.

Hope that helps. I have not gained any bit of the "Freshman 15" yet.

Just steer clear of the fast food joints and late night pizza binges.

If you are drinking more beer- try and work it off the next day by walking more. balance the calorie intake with the excercise.

Seriously- most freshmans gain weigth because they drink more than normal given the new found freedom- and often drinking leads to late night binging.

Keep up with your cardio- just walk everywhere you can.

As for cooking? you dont' sound to be doing so bad.

Drinking beer alone will not put on weight... but if it's a new activity- each beer is 100 Calories... so if you are eating the same as always and then adding an extra say 20 beers a week- that's an extra 2000 calories a week- 8000 per month. It will add up. Just because it's liquid doesn't mean it doesn't affect you.

if you don't drink- then just stay on the path you are on. Smaller meals, but more of them. Always have something to eat (activia yogurt) first thing in the morning to get your metabolism started.

pasta is easiest to cook- but the biggest menace for weight gain along with breads.

But honestly- it's usually the drinking that packs on freshman pounds...

so be aware of that and you'll be fine. If you want to party more- just step up the excercise.

:p

NO CHIPS before bed....ever.