Growth Spurt? Breasts seem to have grown.

Hey Everyone,

It seems as though my boobs have gotten bigger in the past few weeks. I have also been gaining weight, not much, 12 pounds in a month and a half. Is it possible that they just haven't stopped growing?? They started when I was 12 or 13, and I reached a 34 B and have been like that ever since High School. They feel heavier, look bigger, and my boyfriend noticed the same also.

All I can say is a long over due--Finally, they are getting bigger!!!:laugh:

• Author

oh, to add, I have been having what feels like growing pains ever since my last period.

how old are you... and if the answer is 18 or older you should probably give me a link to some pictures of you and your boobs. And congratulations on the bigger boobs your moving up in life

Just so you know, if you're not pregnant, 12 lbs in 45 days is a significant weight gain. I'll assume your BMI is normal for your age and gender, based on your bra band size.

If your genetic breast makeup trends towards accumulating fat in the breast, then they'll definitely grow when you gain weight. My wife, OTOH, has little fat in her breasts and they stay relatively the same size regardless of how much weight she gains or loses (I've seen as much as 40 lbs during our M).

A "growth spurt" usually includes gaining height? Anything going on there?

If you're in your 20's and not pregnant, I'd suggest getting in for a physical just to rule out any hormonal issues (thyroid/pituitary) and to gauge your general health.

Enjoy the "girls" :)

I am guessing that you are not pregnant?

I don't know... I'm no expert, but it sure sounds an awful lot like....

To the OP: How old are you now (i.e. how long has it been since you stopped growing in high school?)?

Yes, I asked that question for that reason. The OP sounds like my wife talking after she started getting pregnant.

My wife's breasts are not small to begin with, but a couple of women who do have smaller ones noticed the growth quicker than her...and of course were delighted. :laugh:

Unless you are absolutely certain you are not pregnant, I would suggest a pregnancy test.

It is possible that you are simply gaining weight. If you have been eating much more than normal, then this is something to consider. When my wife has gained weight in the past, her breasts grow, too. Then she is not delighted. :rolleyes:

• Author
I am guessing that you are not pregnant?

Took a test about two weeks ago. My period was very light and very short, but we took two tests, and they both came out negative. The first one I was still bleeding so that one was faulty, and the second one we did a week later, but we did both at night. So I'm not ruling it out until another 2 weeks comes to pass because that's when my next period is supposed to start.

how old are you... and if the answer is 18 or older you should probably give me a link to some pictures of you and your boobs. And congratulations on the bigger boobs your moving up in life

I'm 20 and I don't think so:p My boyfriend already filled the position.

Just so you know, if you're not pregnant, 12 lbs in 45 days is a significant weight gain. I'll assume your BMI is normal for your age and gender, based on your bra band size.

If your genetic breast makeup trends towards accumulating fat in the breast, then they'll definitely grow when you gain weight. My wife, OTOH, has little fat in her breasts and they stay relatively the same size regardless of how much weight she gains or loses (I've seen as much as 40 lbs during our M).

A "growth spurt" usually includes gaining height? Anything going on there?

If you're in your 20's and not pregnant, I'd suggest getting in for a physical just to rule out any hormonal issues (thyroid/pituitary) and to gauge your general health.

Enjoy the "girls" :)

See my mom, aunt, and grandmom are all not very big breasted woman(generally around the same size as myself.). My other aunt on the same side of the family tree always has had D's. I've been 140lbs before, but my breast size always stayed the same. Now I'm up to 132lbs but they are bigger. I'm still 5'11 as far as I know.

I don't know... I'm no expert, but it sure sounds an awful lot like....

To the OP: How old are you now (i.e. how long has it been since you stopped growing in high school?)?

It's been probably 4 to 5 years since they retained the same size as I had all along.

Took a test about two weeks ago. My period was very light and very short, but we took two tests, and they both came out negative. The first one I was still bleeding so that one was faulty, and the second one we did a week later, but we did both at night. So I'm not ruling it out until another 2 weeks comes to pass because that's when my next period is supposed to start.

You are supposed to do it first thing in the morning for the most accurate results.

Now I'm up to 132lbs but they are bigger. I'm still 5'11 as far as I know.

I'd play it safe and get a physical and some blood work. You were on the light side for your height, but any substantial weight gain in a short period, plus what you've noticed in your breasts, bears scrutiny. Has your breast tissue remained substantially similar in texture? During this period, did you make any lifestyle changes? Dietary changes?

• Author
I'd play it safe and get a physical and some blood work. You were on the light side for your height, but any substantial weight gain in a short period, plus what you've noticed in your breasts, bears scrutiny. Has your breast tissue remained substantially similar in texture? During this period, did you make any lifestyle changes? Dietary changes?

I've been eating the same, except for the past week an hour or two after dinner I'm starving. I haven't been going out to drink like I use to. I haven't had a drink since my last period..Since August 15th to September 15th, I only drank about 6 times. I haven't been smoking marijuana, not that I smoked alot in the first place. I use to smoke maybe once a week during the spring/mid summer when my boyfriend and I would visit his friends and I first tried it back in March, so I'm no stoner ;).

My breast tissue still feels the same, soft as usual. No hard spots or lumps. I've been getting small white "discharge" (not runny) in my nipple though. I clean it out, then it comes back a few days later, (I noticed last week). I have visible blue viens around my nipples also. My boobs are lightly sore to the touch, though. Sometimes i feel discomfort, but it's not anyway severe, more like subtle. That hasn't gone away since my pre-premenstrual symptoms started and my period finished two weeks ago.

I've been eating the same, except for the past week an hour or two after dinner I'm starving. I haven't been going out to drink like I use to. I haven't had a drink since my last period..Since August 15th to September 15th, I only drank about 6 times. I haven't been smoking marijuana, not that I smoked alot in the first place. I use to smoke maybe once a week during the spring/mid summer when my boyfriend and I would visit his friends and I first tried it back in March, so I'm no stoner ;).

My breast tissue still feels the same, soft as usual. No hard spots or lumps. I've been getting small white "discharge" (not runny) in my nipple though. I clean it out, then it comes back a few days later, (I noticed last week). I have visible blue viens around my nipples also. My boobs are lightly sore to the touch, though. Sometimes i feel discomfort, but it's not anyway severe, more like subtle. That hasn't gone away since my pre-premenstrual symptoms started and my period finished two weeks ago.

Your milk is coming in. Sometimes this happens without being pregnant...but the weight gain makes me suspicious of pregnancy. You need to take another test. However my milk did start to come in 3 months before I got pregnant with my son. The doctor was suspicious that I may have had an early miscarriage to cause this. But like I said with the weight gain as well you really should get another test.

• Author

could be the explaination of the feeling of heavyness. I have a garage sale to help out with tomorrow, so I'll be able to go to the store afterwards. I bought the $10 Clear Bue easy last time, maybe I should go with the $15 First Response. :laugh: Upgrade.

• Author
Upgrade to doctor. They don't bite :)

That's what i was thinking. Blood tests are more accurate supposedly. I donated blood twice, so I should not be afraid to have them stick a needle in my arm, and hopefully they give me some cookies afterwards!! :laugh: j/k.

IMO, any marked changes in your health which don't resolve in a couple weeks bear scrutiny by a medical professional. Even the smallest thing, at your young age, can have a marked effect on your health at, say 50 or 60. It's how progression works.

Perhaps this is nothing. Perhaps you are pregnant and aren't aware. If all the news you get back is good, you'll have two positives. First, freedom from concern or worry. Second, you'll have a health baseline, even if a perfectly healthy one, for the future. If/when anything changes, there will be a baseline to compare it to.

This is coming from someone who didn't see a doctor for 20+ years, so take it for what it's worth :D Luckily, I didn't get bit by any health problems and so far, at 49, have been amazingly healthy, knock on wood. I hope the same for you :)

IMO, any marked changes in your health which don't resolve in a couple weeks bear scrutiny by a medical professional. Even the smallest thing, at your young age, can have a marked effect on your health at, say 50 or 60. It's how progression works.

Perhaps this is nothing. Perhaps you are pregnant and aren't aware. If all the news you get back is good, you'll have two positives. First, freedom from concern or worry. Second, you'll have a health baseline, even if a perfectly healthy one, for the future. If/when anything changes, there will be a baseline to compare it to.

This is coming from someone who didn't see a doctor for 20+ years, so take it for what it's worth :D Luckily, I didn't get bit by any health problems and so far, at 49, have been amazingly healthy, knock on wood. I hope the same for you :)

can we say paranoid

No, I'm smart and have experience managing someone's medical care. For my mom, nipple discharge turned out to be Paget's (a form of cancer). It could have been nothing. It cost nothing but an hour or two to get it checked out.

The OP doesn't have to listen to me, but I think it's disingenuous to call someone paranoid for being smart about health issues. Your call ;)

Okay, so your breasts have grown... what's the problem here?

The potential concern is that it happened in an extremely short period, after a 4-5 year adult period of stability.

No, I'm smart and have experience managing someone's medical care. For my mom, nipple discharge turned out to be Paget's (a form of cancer). It could have been nothing. It cost nothing but an hour or two to get it checked out.

The OP doesn't have to listen to me, but I think it's disingenuous to call someone paranoid for being smart about health issues. Your call ;)

I'm with you... Such a significant jump in a short time, after stable period of 4-5 years? Again, I'm not an expert by any means, but it seems like something hormonal is going on, whatever the cause...

It's not paranoid to use your doctor as a way to gather information about what's going on with your body.

What do these "growing pains" feel like? Are they different from any typical menstrual pains you feel? Anything up as high as a shoulder?

Irrespsective of all this - there's no way anyone on the web can diagnose you - I'm glad you said you are going to go see the doctor.

• Author

Trimmer: The growing pains are hard to describe. Like almost if some one was poking you with a pin, not hard where it ruptures the skin, just lightly. When I'm laying down it feels as though the ribs underneath my breast are sore. It does not last long, it comes and goes.

My boyfriend thinks I'm just gaining weight and that's why they are growing. But I told him the same thing I told you all--I've been up to 140lbs before, my boobs did not grow. Now after a light period, I gain weight, and they grow....I'm suspicious. :confused:

Some people's boobs continue growing past adolesence. Mine grew a size when I was 20 and another one when I was 22 (I actually have light stretch marks now =( )- which I suppose makes sense since my mom has DD's but I was an A till I was 20.

Double-check that you're not pregnant, but if you're not, I woudln't worry about it.

• Author
Some people's boobs continue growing past adolesence. Mine grew a size when I was 20 and another one when I was 22 (I actually have light stretch marks now =( )- which I suppose makes sense since my mom has DD's but I was an A till I was 20.

Double-check that you're not pregnant, but if you're not, I woudln't worry about it.

well I took two more tests yesterday and this morning, and they both came out negative. So I guess that answers all my worries/questions. :laugh: Me Not Preggo!

That's what i was thinking. Blood tests are more accurate supposedly. I donated blood twice, so I should not be afraid to have them stick a needle in my arm, and hopefully they give me some cookies afterwards!! :laugh: j/k.

I just wanted to mention that while I was pregnant, I was a member of some online pregnancy boards, and a few of the women had negative OTC pregnancy tests, and had to go in and get blood drawn for a + pregnancy test. I'm just saying. It's weird that you have milk and/or colostrum coming out of your nipples, you've gained weight, and have sore boobs that have grown in such a short period of time.

My breasts did get a cups size larger in my 20s, from an A to a B - but while pregnant they grew to a D cup by my third trimester and now that I'm nursing they are a DD. :eek: