neveragain2493

a while back, i went to the doctor for a check-up. they tested my blood, and the doctor asked me if i ate a lot of meat, because my hemoglobin is an 11 when it is supposed to be a 13 at the least.

hemoglobin is the substance in the blood that carried oxygen.

hemoglobin = oxygen = energy.

low hemoglobin means i'm anemic. my mom is anemic, so this explains where i got it.

i was prescribed iron pills, which helped while i took them. when i stopped, i became tired again.

as of now, i am tired all of the time. 24/7, i am very noticeably tired. i will achieve even 8 - 9 hours of sleep, and i will still be tired.

i eat a lot of meat. steak, chicken, fish, you name it, it consists of a lot of my diet.

this is really starting to affect me... does anyone have a suggestion as to how i can feel better or raise my hemoglobin?

a while back, i went to the doctor for a check-up. they tested my blood, and the doctor asked me if i ate a lot of meat, because my hemoglobin is an 11 when it is supposed to be a 13 at the least.

hemoglobin is the substance in the blood that carried oxygen.

hemoglobin = oxygen = energy.

low hemoglobin means i'm anemic. my mom is anemic, so this explains where i got it.

i was prescribed iron pills, which helped while i took them. when i stopped, i became tired again.

as of now, i am tired all of the time. 24/7, i am very noticeably tired. i will achieve even 8 - 9 hours of sleep, and i will still be tired.

i eat a lot of meat. steak, chicken, fish, you name it, it consists of a lot of my diet.

this is really starting to affect me... does anyone have a suggestion as to how i can feel better or raise my hemoglobin?

Enriched breakfast cerels as well as beans and lentils are good sources of Iron you could try those. But, I would also start taking your iron pills again since they helped. Good Luck.

AP:)

Let me tell you a little abridged story.

I used to suffer from chronic anaemia all the time. I was always being prescribed iron, but the minute I'd have an operation, or I lost a moderate amount of blood (be it through minor surgery, be it through periods) my blood count would dip again.

One day, before a routine op to remove my tonsils, I mentioned previous history to the nurse taking my details, and mentioned in passing, that I'm Italian.

Shortly after the op (for which I had been taking iron, as prescribed, because of my low haemoglobin) I fainted and passed out, inexplicably.

I ruptured my sutures at the back of my throat and needed a further op to cauterise the wounds....However, they couldn't explain the passing out - until the nurse put two and two together.

Result from subsequent blood tests?

I have thalassemia minor.

Very common in the European/Mediterranean basin (Greece, Italy, Spain....) and the complete no-no is - taking Iron.

It's stored in the Liver because your system can't process it adequately. Result? it seems some of it leaches into your system, but not enough to prevent full anemia.

What I take on a daily basis, is 5mg of Folic Acid. This has completely eliminated my anemia and I lead a totally normal, healthy active life.