Physical ailments: the little things that creak inside

How many of you are beset with minor ailments that aren't serious enough to require surgery, yet substantial enough to provoke a little exercise in caution?

For instance, at 35 years old, I'm host to a slew of nagging injuries and body aches from my reckless days of high school and college athletics.

My grocery list is as follows...

- Chronically unstable right ankle (numerous sprains from football, soccer, basketball)

- Weak left ankle (see above)... it used to be my bad ankle

- Calcification in left foot (hairline fracture along fifth metatarsal)

- Left knee: tendinitis, synovial cyst along the back of knee but don't need surgery... if it bursts then the knee will absorb the fluid, so says my doctor. That's what I get for playing soccer without the proper fitness

- Right knee: tendinitis

- Left wrist: tendinitis (football injury when facemask banged into it)

- Lower back: pars defect (stress fracture), most likely from football, but started acting up last year after running on hard surface; doc said it'll never heal, so I have to cut back on running... broke my heart to hear this

- Left shoulder: tendinitis; popped out in college while doing military presses but snapped back in place after I dropped the dumbbell... it remained sore the entire week; never the same afterward

- Right shoulder: tendinitis; just wore down after so much usage... have to warm it up really good before attempting to throw a football or baseball at full speed (something I rarely do)

Rode my skateboard earlier today, but I suck at ollies -- mostly out of fear that my right ankle will yield to the forces of nature, and yes, it was dangerous riding along a busy street with cars swerving in and out of parking lots and what have you, but I didn't care because I was having so much fun.

Iced my knees afterward, so they won't ache tomorrow when I ride the stationary bike (can't swim until shoulders recover from the big move... I tried doing too much the first day and paid the price).

Would love to learn tennis, but I don't want to end up in a wheelchair.

Tired of physical therapy at this point.

You'd never guess any of this by looking at me.

Staying healthy to earn a paycheck is probably my biggest priority these days, until I can no longer resist the urge to play. It used to be so easy, back in the day. My boss just shakes his head every time something new happens to me.

The heart and head, however, are feeling great (helps not to be in love LOL).

Does anyone here share my plight (or any of my pain), or am I flying solo under a cloud of introspection?

Oh, that I could fly... perish the thought!

I don't want your pity, but I do want your stories.

sure is a bitch getting old.:D i'm pushing 50 and i found that the gym "really" helped me. gotta strenghin up the surronding muscles around weak areas.

• Author

I thought I was bad until I spoke to a co-worker... his shoulder pops out on a regular basis, and his back is pretty messed up, but he shuns the orthopedic because he doesn't want surgery. Riding his motorcycle to work everyday isn't helping matters. Oh well...

Knowing what he's going through makes me feel like Batman.

I'm 22...

I have a pinched nerve in my neck which has caused severe headaches and arm numbness for 7 years, I've been doing PT and massage every week for the last 6 months, it's starting to go away. Surgery would have been the best option but I refused, after all I work for a spine surgeon :)

Both knees and ankles have tendonitis and both knees have a loss of joint fluid from being a ballet dancer for 15 years. I have a stress fracture on my right 3rd metatarsal, again probably from ballet, it's almost healed but I didn't catch it very quickly (I thought the pain was my tendonitis acting up) so it didn't heal correctly and will likely cause problems down the road.

I partially tore the extensor pollicis brevis tendon in my right wrist in high school, I refused to have surgery and did PT but it still doesn't work quite right and catches every once and a while.