How to lose 5 lbs...

I'm 25, and I think the day has finally come where my habits are beginning to catch up with me.

I like healthy foods, but I also love sweets. I drink a lot of Red Bull (sometimes 2 a day, I work full time and go to school part time). I don't exercise as much as I should, although I am active.

Today I was pulling out some clothes for the winter and I tried on a dress that used to look cute on me. It felt kinda tight and I went downstairs to ask my mom her opinion. She agreed it looked tight, and then my brother came out and said, "Wow, you look like you're trying too hard to fit in that dress."

I tried to act like it didn't bother me but I went upstairs and burst into tears and I've been crying ever since. It really hurt my feelings! I feel like my body has never quite been the same since I had a miscarriage. (My mother and brother don't know I was pregnant.) I'm 4'11" and I weigh 110 lbs. I used to weigh 105, but these last 5 lbs are nagging.

I really feel crappy, and I would like to lose the weight but in a healthy way. I know I'm not fat, my weight doesn't have a detrimental effect on me, but I want to eat healthier and just be healthier (and yes, looking good in that dress would be extra motivation!).

Does anyone have any suggestions?

you have all the answers in your own post. love sweets, don't excerise, shall we go on? you know what needs to be done. just do it.hell at your age the weight should just fall off.

You can do nothing unless you regain some self-respect and self-esteem. You're at a very low ebb right now, and you need to find your way back to 'you'. I'm sorry if that sounds like a cliche, but it's true.

I don't know how close you are to your mom, but it would be good if you could confide in her.

The main issue here is to be friends with yourself again.

Hold your chin up and convince yourself that you ARE worth it..... becuase, you are.

BTW: when I had my first daughter, I put on an extra 28lbs.

It took a while, but it did come off.

Healthy eating. Cut down on sugars and excess carbs. Walk for 20 minutes a day, briskly. Swim twice a week.

And a good pampering once a month. even if it was just a manicure.

And - Smile.

Yes,

Smile.

It not only makes your face look better, it releases certain endorphins which put you - and keep you - in a positive and buoyant frame of mind.

http://www.surreycc.gov.uk/sccwebsite/sccwspages.nsf/LookupWebPagesByTITLE_RTF/Improve+your+mental+health+with+a+smile?opendocument

http://www.usafundraising.com/fundraising-ideas/fundraising-ideas/laugh-smile-be-happy-it-s-good-for.html

http://www.uncommonforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=9281

If you cut out the sweets and go out for a walk / jog a few times a week, you'll drop the weight in no time. It already looks like you're committed to eating healthier so you already have that part down.

I do want to say that staying thin is a lifestyle change. If you go back to getting no activity and eating lots of sweets. You'll just end up gaining the weight back.

It's difficult to cut out all sweets if you're accustomed to indulging regularly. Consider a more staggered approach, where instead of having a sweet, have a slice of orange, apple or some other fruit. Also, replace sugar with honey. Honey is good for you. Good luck. :)

• Author

Thanks to the last 3 posters for practical advice that I can actually use. I'm on the go a lot, so it's really hard to eat healthy and find the time to exercise. Everyone knows how it is, you work full time, I go to school at night...I'm just always on the go and I grab whatever! But I went to the supermarket and stocked up on healthy veggies and fruits that I'll bring to snack on.

BTW, mark982, I did not say I don't exercise...I said I don't exercise as much as I should. Read more carefully, would you? :rolleyes: