Does Anyone Have A Yoga Practice?

I have been practicing for two years now (mainly Ashtanga, but also Vinyasa and Yin), and I find the health benefits have been fabulous (both physical and mental!).

My power class is 90 minutes, and before we cool down and do some yin, it is so intense, that my scalp is sweating. lol. NON-Bikram, mind you! I love it.

Was just curious if anyone else on here regularly practiced.

• 3 weeks later...
StartingOver07

Hi JB. I have absolutely nothing to offer you but am here with a question instead. :o

What do you recommend for someone just starting? Is there a video I can buy? I am actually thinking of doing this with my 10yo and would prefer to start at home as the only class in my area is "hot" yoga which sounds like more than I can deal with.

I used to do yoga but I have to fit it into my lunch hour and I found mroe and more classes here go to 1.5 hrs or two hours.

I can't do that. I sometimes wonder if people actually work around here.

I just signed up for Yoga Latte. I was told at the gym.I go to it's a good class for someone just starting out and that would be me. My friend will join me so we can both attempt this together. I'll let you know how it goes.:)

"Yoga Latte"....?!

Is that with marshmallows and chocolate sprinklin's...? :D

I'm sorry, I've never heard of it!

Is it something new?

"Yoga Latte"....?!

Is that with marshmallows and chocolate sprinklin's...? :D

I'm sorry, I've never heard of it!

Is it something new?

Opps.:eek: I meant Yoga-Lates. It's the elements of Yoga with the muscle strengthening and toning of pilates. Thanks for catching that one.. My mistake.:o Although it does sort of sound like a starbucks coffee.:laugh:

AP:)

• Author
Hi JB. I have absolutely nothing to offer you but am here with a question instead. :o

What do you recommend for someone just starting? Is there a video I can buy? I am actually thinking of doing this with my 10yo and would prefer to start at home as the only class in my area is "hot" yoga which sounds like more than I can deal with.

Hey, Starting!

Good for you for wanting to get into yoga. Most people find it highly addictive. :)

I dont really know of any good videos, and I am actually wary of recommending this method for anyone to start a new exercise program. Yoga is focused on postures, so form is pretty important. Turning a limb 10 degrees in one direction can make the difference between doing something properly, or setting you up for injury.

Is bikram really the only thing around? I would suggest contacting the studio/class where this is held, and asking them if there are any flow or yin classes they can recommend. I have seen yoga classes offered in different places - churches, Y's, gyms - even private practitioners.

I really hope you can find something more appropriate! Personally, Ive been doing it for a few years, and I wouldnt even do Bikram - lol. Once you have a few classes under your belt, and understand the basics of form and breath work, then you would be fine to start practicing at home with your child.

:)

StartingOver07

Thanks, Jilly.

I am not new to exercise - I work out with weights 4x/week and ride my bike, etc. But I have not done any yoga.

I'm going to hunt around for more classes. My gym does offer some, but they are part of Humana's Silver Sneakers program (for seniors) and, from what I have observed, not what I am after!

Thanks again!

• Author
Thanks, Jilly.

I am not new to exercise - I work out with weights 4x/week and ride my bike, etc. But I have not done any yoga.

I'm going to hunt around for more classes. My gym does offer some, but they are part of Humana's Silver Sneakers program (for seniors) and, from what I have observed, not what I am after!

Thanks again!

I hear you on that!

I took a yoga class at a nearby spa when I had a massage appointment. SNOOZE. It was the geriatric version and sucked. Everyone was 65 plus.

Oh, I didnt mean to insinuate you are inactive. I just wouldnt recommend anyone (including me) start any new exercise without instruction, whether lifting, yoga, pilates, etc. Form is tough to garner from videos.

I would still try to research any local colleges, community programs, adult education, etc. That might work!