So frustrated...I can't even lose five pounds. At my wit's end.

Four months ago I stepped on the scale and noticed I had gained eight pounds over a period of six months. It bothered me a bit. So I started eating less, and I started running a few times a week. I stepped on the scale a few weeks later, and my weight had only increased. I became frustrated. I started to count calories. I stopped drinking any kind of caloric beverages, and I started to record everything I ate. I became obsessed and knew the exact calorie count of everything I ate. I restricted myself to about 1500 calories a day (I'm 5'8''). Weeks later, and still no change. So, I started to get frustrated, and I developed an unhealthy relationship with food. I started to binge eat, and then I started to throw up after I binged.

About three weeks ago I promised myself I would no longer binge and would not make myself throw up. I decided I was determined to lose those last five pounds. For the past three weeks I have eaten an average of 1500 calories a day (sometimes a little more, sometimes a little less, but 1500 average...and I mean 1500. I count those calories). I eat a healthy breakfast (like low-fat cottage cheese, sprouted wheat bread, and an apple), I eat six servings of fruits and vegetables. I exercise moderately for 30 minutes five to six times per week. I do intense cardio or intense circuit training. Sometimes I work out an hour a day. I just weighed myself and I have not lost an ounce since three weeks ago.

I am getting really discouraged. It has been four months of hell. What could the problem here be? I am taking Yasmin as a birth control pill. Could that maybe be the culprit?

Are you seeing changes in your physique? Do your clothes fit better, are you muscles better defined?

Weight isn't the only, or the best, indicator of fitness. As long as you're seeing improvements in body composition, you shouldn't stress it.

How much do you weigh?

Try p90x. Just google it. I don't think exercising moderately is good enough.. I have been researching p90x and apparently some people feel nauseous and feel like throwing up and so sore they can't turn around in bed and it hurts their stomach when they laugh while they are doing the program. You need to work to death, to muscle failure, to the point where you are drenched in sweat. Its painful but it works. Look on youtube for people's progress, tons of people blogging about it. You need to work HARD and be drenched in sweat and feel pain. Working out moderately is no good.

I am going to try it soon, not to lose weight but to get ripped, I want six pack abs.

You need to be tough to see results.

mental_traveller

I agree with cutegirl. If you exercise intensely to exhaustion 2 or 3 times a week, you lose weight fast. Most people who exercise have nice comfortable gym routines, or other non-intense effort. That's no way near as effective.

Also, do high intensity stuff, p90x has plyometrics which is basically jumping up and down.... Here is a video of some dude doing it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jm8zIT1SXDA its basically jumping up and down and hopping like a frog and other weird stuff for 54 minutes straight...

Or you can do stuff like sprinting, I heard that is much better than jogging... Forget about walking, unless you are really old or have bad joints/knees...

Have patience, quick results generally don't last. The equation is easy calories in must be less than calories out. As was said initially you can convert fat to muscle which actually weighs more than fat per sq in. Also don't get caught up in people who tell you there is a fat burning zone, this is true but in the end working shorter periods at higher intensity (more calories) will do more than longer at less intensity (less calories). I have managed to lose 45lbs but over 2.5 years not in two months. I do high intensity exercise for about 6-8hrs per week and around 7000 calories. I reduced my intake moderately, starvation diets don't work long term. Losing weight and exercise is a life style change.

I "second" the suggestion to have Patience. When

you're thinking about it too much and then binging and

purging those things don't help. It takes time. Most of all, it

just totally boils down to changing the way you eat and not

Going on a "diet" but actually changing your actual daily diet

for, well, for good...and only indulging every now and then on

your fave desserts or fatty foods.

Don't lose hope and don't binge and purge, it's not healthy for

you.

High Plains Drifter
Are you seeing changes in your physique? Do your clothes fit better, are you muscles better defined?

Weight isn't the only, or the best, indicator of fitness. As long as you're seeing improvements in body composition, you shouldn't stress it.

How much do you weigh?

This is a good post, and I'm still wondering how much Driver weighs?.....I'm guessing that she's already underweight: A woman that is 5'8" should AT LEAST ideally weigh 126 lbs

Don't lose hope and don't binge and purge, it's not healthy for you.

Yep

• Author

Fine, you're right. I weigh 125 pounds right now.

I realize that this weight is at the low end for my height. I think I look great at this point. But at this point, it's more of an issue that I can't lose weight --- not how I look. THAT is what is bothering me. If I could lose weight, I'd be fine where I am now because I look good. But, I feel like there is something wrong with me. I have tried for four months and it is the same.

It makes me wonder what would happen if I ate normally and didn't try to keep my calorie intake to a minimum...and that's what this is really all about. I think I might have a thyroid issue.

StartingOver07

I realize that this weight is at the low end for my height. I think I look great at this point. But at this point, it's more of an issue that I can't lose weight --- not how I look. THAT is what is bothering me. If I could lose weight, I'd be fine where I am now because I look good. But, I feel like there is something wrong with me. I have tried for four months and it is the same.

It makes me wonder what would happen if I ate normally and didn't try to keep my calorie intake to a minimum...and that's what this is really all about. I think I might have a thyroid issue.

Try eating normally for a while. When you undereat for long periods of time, which you appear to have been doing, you slow your metabolism. By reducing calories and increasing activity, you have told your body that there is not enough food coming to meet demand and your body has responded by burning less. The only solution to this is, paradoxically, to eat more. You may see an initial increase in weight but it will drop back once your body understand you don't plan to starve it again.

High Plains Drifter

I think there are a number of other symptoms that you'd be experiencing if it was a thyroid issue, and perhaps you oughta see the Doc if you think you have these problems.

But I often hit "plateus" of weight, either losing or gaining, that are tough to move from.....for example, I'm 6' and I guess the least I should weigh is 180 lbs, however, at 210 lbs it's excruciating for me to lose weight, unless I'm RUNNING a 5K at least 4 times a week.