Tips on how to be left alone at the gym!

I used to work out in a "private gym" but unfortunately now I have to work out in one of those "public gyms", like ummm 24 hr fitness :sick:

I only go to the gym to WORK OUT, I do not want to talk to anyone, I do not want to meet anyone, I do not want to interact with anyone, I do not want to socialize with anyone. A gym is the destination for a PURPOSE to me which is defined by EXERCISING, it's not a meeting place, not a bar etc...

What tips can you give me? What can I do to signal to everyone to NOT come up and talk to me and leave me alone?

I already know about the obvious one, wearing headphones, and yes, I plan to wear my ipod/headphones; hopefully that will deter people in leaving alone. I also don't make eye contact, don't smile, look unfriendly, look straight ahead...

Anything else I can do to give people the clear signal to not get into my way besides the above I just posted?

And the REASON why I am even asking this, is because I do not want to meet anyone, I do not want to make friends at the gym, I do not want a man (I am HAPPY being single). I only want to go to the gym to EXERCISE for MYSELF, not to meet new people.

• Author

I am also going to the location which is least crowded which hopefully will help. that one that is right across from my house is a sports facility and known to be very busy and a social meatmarket type place, which i am avoiding, so im driving out of my way to the isolated gym (still less than 1.5 miles away tho)...

But other than that and the headphopnes, what else can I do to be left alone?

I'd suggest avoiding eye contact, wearing earbuds, no makeup, and a scowl on your face....but unfortunately, even that doesn't work for me. Dudes still manage to approach.

Perhaps a "Don't Bother Me" T-Shirt? You could start a new business.

• Author
Wear headphones, hon.

I wrote that in my original post already. What else can I do BESIDES that?

I already plan on wearing headphones, looking straight ahead/never making eye contact, never smiling, anything else??

I thought about wearing sunglasses but I don't want to be laughed at. I could only pull that off if I were a celeb like Paris.

I thought about wearing sunglasses but I don't want to be laughed at. I could only pull that off if I were a celeb like Paris.

:lmao:

I'd fall off the treadmill if I saw ANYONE at the gym wearing shades.

Sorry! I didn't get through it all... :(

If a guy approaches you, just mumble some one word response to his question and go back to your workout.

OR, maybe change gyms to one that is less "pick-up" oriented.

My gym is full of IFBB pro's, so the mood is pretty serious, and though people are social, it's not like a happy hour.

Why not just climb out of your anti-social little shell and talk nicely to them. I'm sure there isn't going to be a crowd of them around you. Maybe one a week.

• Author

I know, it's hilarious... I laughed out loud when picturing myself wearing shades working out... probably not a good idea.

I treat my gym like the prison yard. When I first got there I could tell people wanted to conversate with me and they didn't have any trouble making eye contact and smiling. So when the first person came over and started to say something to me I cut them off real loud and laid out the way it was going to be. I must have developed a rep because no one messes with me at the local gym... NO ONE

The women who are being friendly are okay.

I hate it when guys approach. The last thing I want while drenched in sweat, is being chatted up by strange guys.

I also can't stand being stared at by anyone, male or female while working out. This is why I refuse to go to the gym anymore, only working out at home. :mad:

p.s. turn your back on them when they come to chat with you.

A suggestion, I've noticed women approach me less when I'm working with a trainer. When I'm alone they'll chit chat sit on the bicycle next to you and chat about the show.

• Author

I also can't stand being stared at by anyone, male or female while working out. This is why I refuse to go to the gym anymore, only working out at home. :mad:

p.s. turn your back on them when they come to chat with you.

Exactly, I hate being looked at when working out by anyone as well, whether they are male or female. I just don't like it! I don't like anyone looking at me when I'm working out. I do work out at home but there are certain weight machines at the gym which I like...

well my quess would be, that the first person that comes up to you and tries to talk to you, just lay into them. that will give people the impression that you just want left alone.word travels fast.but be careful gym mishaps do happen, and you just might need them down the road.

well my quess would be, that the first person that comes up to you and tries to talk to you, just lay into them. that will give people the impression that you just want left alone.word travels fast.but be careful gym mishaps do happen, and you just might need them down the road.

your right she might get trapped beneath her 2lb dumbell

• Author

Of course I would do this obviously, I have no problem doing this and also have done this before so people will know to leave me alone, but I would rather have people not even dare to come up to me at all in the first place to even initiate any conversation.

I usually try to give off negative body language and look super pissed and annoyed all the time and I think it does work to keep people away...Just looking for extra pointers.

I hate working out in public gyms with a lot of people. I have chosen to go to a low key place but you never know, there could still be people there who would annoy me in some way.

You can wear baggy clothes...like a guy's t-shirt and some warmup pants. Some girls at my gym wear just the jog bra and tight pants or very short shorts, that's just asking to be bothered.

I think I'D fall off the treadmill if I saw someone fall off the tradmill laughing at a shades-wearing gym rat :lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

lovestruck818
I used to work out in a "private gym" but unfortunately now I have to work out in one of those "public gyms", like ummm 24 hr fitness :sick:

I only go to the gym to WORK OUT, I do not want to talk to anyone, I do not want to meet anyone, I do not want to interact with anyone, I do not want to socialize with anyone. A gym is the destination for a PURPOSE to me which is defined by EXERCISING, it's not a meeting place, not a bar etc...

What tips can you give me? What can I do to signal to everyone to NOT come up and talk to me and leave me alone?

I already know about the obvious one, wearing headphones, and yes, I plan to wear my ipod/headphones; hopefully that will deter people in leaving alone. I also don't make eye contact, don't smile, look unfriendly, look straight ahead...

Anything else I can do to give people the clear signal to not get into my way besides the above I just posted?

And the REASON why I am even asking this, is because I do not want to meet anyone, I do not want to make friends at the gym, I do not want a man (I am HAPPY being single). I only want to go to the gym to EXERCISE for MYSELF, not to meet new people.

Go to a womens gym- Lucille Roberts- and it's cheap. My friend pays $10/month there.

Just read the shades thing. No, no, don't do that. You're just asking to be stared at more, worse yet, to be laughed right out of the gym. I don't think that's your style.

While you're exercising, make sure that every 40 seconds or so you let out a loud yelp or a bark. In between mutter (or yell the capitalised parts) "SATANF*CK, my curtains are not chintz YOU WHORELANDERS - don't box me in nor stare at me you BASTARETARDED SPERMHARBOURER. My name is cutegirl. That's code for CUNT-EDGED IRATE LADY!! I'm a fairly frequent poster on a site called LOVEWANKSHACK!!!"

When someone eventually confronts you, quietly apologise and say "I suffer from Tourette's Syndrome. It tends to be exacerbated when people stare the F*CK at me BASTARDOS!!! **** I'm so f*cking sorry. I don't know what to say. WANK!!!"

Be really jerky in your movements to make it authentic. If any of the staff at the gym complain or threaten to remove you from the premises, tell them you'll have their asses under disability discrimination legislation. I'm pretty sure this will stop the wolves from casting a shadow over your treadmill or gazing longingly as you pound angrily on the step machine.

Make little eye contact with males in the gym, avoid conversations, get into the zone (focus) - to get a good workout - get-in/get-out and be on your way.

Try not to stare at people.

While you're exercising, make sure that every 40 seconds or so you let out a loud yelp or a bark. In between mutter (or yell the capitalised parts) "When someone eventually confronts you, quietly apologise and say "I suffer from Tourette's Syndrome. It tends to be exacerbated when people stare the F*CK at me BASTARDOS!!! **** I'm so f*cking sorry. I don't know what to say. WANK!!!"

This is so so wrong, but you have hit on my secret weak spot! I screamed with laughter when I read this. I have actually DONE this.

(My H would die). Just at the beach or a bar, not the gym.

I go to a ladies-only gym and nobody really talks to anyone. Even the girls working at the front desk don't say hi unless the customers say hi to them first. Weird.