How often should one go to the gym?

I Luv the Chariot OH

I'm moving to a new apartment with free fitness centre access on Friday. I feel like a kid in a candy store--I've NEVER had the opportunity to go to a gym before, so I'm looking forward to it! I want to start up a weekly routine, but I have no idea how much gym-going is necessary to keep oneself happy and healthy. So how often does everyone else go (and is the purpose health or weight loss/bodybuilding?)

I'm moving to a new apartment with free fitness centre access on Friday. I feel like a kid in a candy store--I've NEVER had the opportunity to go to a gym before, so I'm looking forward to it! I want to start up a weekly routine, but I have no idea how much gym-going is necessary to keep oneself happy and healthy. So how often does everyone else go (and is the purpose health or weight loss/bodybuilding?)

I'd say 3 times a week minimum.

For building muscle, the theory is as follows:

3 days a week to build muscle

2 days a week to build muscle, although you will wait a loooong time to see any real results

1 day a week to maintain what muscle you already have, but not make any gains in muscle mass.

reservoirdog1

Here's what I suggest. Since you've never been to a gym much before, go as often as you want and just try things. Try to go every other day, with the goal of at least doing 1/2 hour of cardio with each visit. Add weights or more cardio to that if you want. A half hour of cardio -- treadmill, eliptical, etc. -- is enough to get your heart pumping and get you sweated up and feeling good.

If you've not been big into exercise before, what you probably don't know -- and what I didn't know before I tried it -- is that, once you've been going to the gym in a dedicated, regular manner like this for awhile (a month or two), you'll start to feel twitchy if you DON'T go for a few days for some reason. That's what you want to achieve -- it's an absolutely bizarre but also very empowering sensation. And as somebody with periodic latent couch-potato tendencies, if somebody had told me ages ago that I'd reach that point, I'd never have believed them. What's weird about it is that the sensation I'm describing will occasionally make you want to work out more than once a day!

It's a hell of a lot easier to motivate yourself when your body is making you WANT to go.

Here's my advice.. since your gym is free.. invest in a gym 'monitor' (shoot I forgot the term) for something like 6 sessions.. or maybe 4.. he'll tell you what's best for you.. he will make you a program..

Arise_Serpentor

Just make sure you go! Even if you don't feel like it, go pretty much the same time every week (or every day!) you have to build it as a habit!

What ever you do, don't over do it. When beginning an exercise regimen the most important thing is to make it a part of your routine, or make it a "habit". My dad always told me (who knows if he knows what up lol) that it takes about 3 months of being consistant on your program for you to have developed the "habit" of going to the gym (if that makes sense). A lot of people start out really hard but they don't last long (I see it ever Sept. and every January at my campus gym). Start slow, maybe three times a week. Do that for about three months (changing your workout routine within those months because your body gets used to the same old thing + you may get bored, I know I am always switching it up). After that, you might want to think about increasing the number of days a week or the duration of your workout, either way, listen to your body and be motivated always!

Here's my advice.. since your gym is free.. invest in a gym 'monitor' (shoot I forgot the term) for something like 6 sessions.. or maybe 4.. he'll tell you what's best for you.. he will make you a program..

Trainer maybe?

I try to go 3 times a week and usually see results (happy-fitness) after three weeks. (when I slack off and start back again).

I mostly go to keep my energy levels up and my mood steady. Weight management is a side benefit.

The serotonin highs get addictive pretty quick. I now go to the gym every time I have a date/social event in the evening because I know I'll be feeling like a million bucks, no matter what unfolds.

Start off easy, you don't want to trash yourself on the first couple of sessions and be sore for days afterwards. Your recovery time will depend in part on how old you are.

My advice would be to go regularly (3 times a week as others have suggested) but just take it easy at those sessions and gradually build up the intensity. The first month is crucial in making it habitual, and it's much easier to do this if you don't feel like a corpse the next morning.

Cheers,

D.

I go 5 times a week. Rarely ever stay more than 45-60 minutes there.

Mon Wed and Fri I dedicate my time to building lean muscle.

Tues and Thurs I do interval training for about 30 minutes.