Coffee and getting in shape

reservoirdog1

Can anybody tell me if moderate coffee consumption (1 cup per day) is good, bad or irrelevant when you're trying to lose fat and tone up? What about caffeine in other forms?

Thanks.

confused and broken
Can anybody tell me if moderate coffee consumption (1 cup per day) is good, bad or irrelevant when you're trying to lose fat and tone up? What about caffeine in other forms?

Thanks.

How do you take your coffee??

Okay, I'm gonna have to say irrelevant, but there are qualifications. First and foremost, it depends on the coffee. A regular cup of black coffee with no additives and flavors is only about 25 calories. And those calories are easily processed. When you start adding in the flavors and sugars (kinda the same thing) you get to a much higher calorie count.

The second thing to consider is that coffee causes dehydration. Make sure you are compensating with water before and after a work out. I personally drink at least 3 cups of coffee a day and have to counter-act that with 2-3 bottles of water before, during and after lifting weights. Even more if I'm doing cardio.

A smaller consideration is that coffee is a minor stimulant. If you have any heart problems or pulmonary disorders, you have to be careful how much you have anyway and especially careful if you workout daily.

• Author
reservoirdog1

I generally take it with 2% or lower-fat milk, and sweetened with Splenda or something similar. No flavour additives.

I just wasn't sure if it's something that causes water retention, counteracts the effects of exercise in some way, etc.

There is no measurable water retention or adverse reactions on exercise. It also sounds like you are having a healthier version of the drink. I think you wouldn't find any measurable gains in cutting it out of your routine.

The second thing to consider is that coffee causes dehydration. Make sure you are compensating with water before and after a work out.

It may be true in your case if you are pushing over 3 cups, but moderate consumption simply does not cause dehydration.

Numerous studies have provided evidence linking this loss of fluid with high levels of caffeine consumption, often 600 milligrams or more per day. There is little indication of a diuretic effect for individuals who consume moderate amounts of caffeine, less than 300 milligrams, or 2-3 cups, of coffee per day. Also, there is some evidence that people who regularly consume larger amounts of caffeine have a higher tolerance to the diuretic effect.

http://www.ext.colostate.edu/Pubs/columnnn/nn031103.html

Trialbyfire

There is little indication of a diuretic effect for individuals who consume moderate amounts of caffeine, less than 300 milligrams, or 2-3 cups, of coffee per day.

While it may make you pass urine or void more often, it won't dehydrate in the small consumption amounts that the OP has referenced.

confused and broken
I generally take it with 2% or lower-fat milk, and sweetened with Splenda or something similar. No flavour additives.

I just wasn't sure if it's something that causes water retention, counteracts the effects of exercise in some way, etc.

2% milk has 2% fat...so there are calories in it obviously...depends how much you use

caffeine can actually help you loose weight because it does something to the effect of speeding up your heart rate or something...not sure the exact scientific explanation....

black coffee on its own has virtually no calories

if you are only drinking a cup a day and not using excessive milk...I would say it does nothing

georgejungle

I agonize with this myself, because i feel like it's harder

for me to keep the pounds off, when i'm on a coffee kick.

and i'm talking a cup a day. I can get so addicted. But then

there's the added sugar and the cream and ugh, it's just so good.

i hate artificial sweeteners, they aren't good for you. And Soy just

doesn't taste as good as half and half, i'm sorry.

So i usually just quit cold turkey for a while, while trying to lose a

few pounds.

It's irrelevant. It's like the person who eats one healthy meal occasionally or the guy who works out once a week. Doesn't make a difference. You really shouldn't focus on caffeine. If you really want to lose weight, focus on:

1) Reducing stress

2) Getting adequate sleep

2) Improving your diet

3) Exercising

Sounds boring, I know, but that is what works. Eat properly, sleep well, exercise, and lead a low stress life and you will maximize your weight loss. I mention the 1st two because if you don't do those you will have difficulty with #3 (i.e., you'll get more and stronger cravings for junk food).