Spironolactone for acne

I have been dealing with acne for 20 years. Finally, I have found something that actually works. BUT, now my period is irregular. I have gotten it 3 times in the past six weeks, with the last one lasting longer than normal. Any women out there try this medication, have this side effect, and have it resolve itself? I want to keep my clear skin, but one period a month is enough!

I Luv the Chariot OH

I've never heard of this drug before, so I looked it up on wiki--I know, I know, but the side-effects look horrifying:

- increased risk of bleeding from stomach

- menstrual irregularities

- ataxia (difficulty controlling voluntary movements)

- drowsiness

- rashes

- interference with antidepressant effectiveness

Unless it regulates in the next month, you should probably consult your dermatologist and maybe get on a different medication. I use tretinoin (Retin-A), and I remember a thread here not too long ago filled with people praising its effects. It's definitely the best acne medication I've ever used, and no weird side-effects either!

I was on sprionolactone a few years ago and I was spotting all month and having severe cramping which I hadn't experienced at all. I was not happy with the medication at all and asked to be taken off of it. I have heard some people who are very happy with it but it can take time to adjust to being on the medication. I don't think I stayed on it long enough for it to work on my face, how long were you on it for you to see results? and what dose are you on?

Call your doctor and explain your symptoms and see what they recommend, they may be able to adjust the dose a little especially since the medication is working for your face!

• 1 month later...
RecordProducer

Ziana is the love of my life! :love: I hate pimples more than anything. :mad:

I've also dealt with unclear skin (not too bad though) for many years until I discovered ZIANA. It's a prescription drug. It's absolutely amazing! You put a little bit at night and it clears everything and prevents new bastards from popping up. I am talking perfectly clear skin. The first time, it takes a couple weeks to clear everything up. It has no color, smell or anythig uncomfortable. My dermatologist said it doesn't have any side effects. Really great stuff, I highly recommend it. If Ziana doesn't work for you, there's a stronger medication (I forgot its name), but it's a strong antibiotic and prolonged usage is not good for the liver.

Hey, sorry to hear about your long term adult acne. I don't know anything about that drug but I started getting really bad acne at 20. I got to a dematologist within a year and I told him I was not interested in any harmful drugs because he told me adult acne can last for decades. He put my on hormone therapy, I don't know if you have tried that, but it worked like a dream, my skin cleared up in a couple months. Plus it doubles a birth control so my period is so regular (3pm on Monday lasts 5 days exactly with NO cramping!). The drug is called Diane 35 (box says 2 mg cyproterone acetate and 0.0035 mg ethinyl estradiol tablets) and I swear by it. It is quite a bit more expensive than regular birth control but if you have a perscription plan you are good, but even if you don't I think it is worth trying! I have had no bad side effects what so ever. Maybe it would be worth it for you to try. Good luck with it all!

RecordProducer
Diane 35
I used Diane as a BC pill years ago and it started clearing up the skin a little bit, but it didn't last long. I mean, continued to use the pill, but my skin did not improve anymore. Guys, if you haven't tried Ziana, try it, for me it works perfectly. It's a prescription dru though and if you don't have insurance, it's going to cost you over $250, but it lasts for 2-3 months. With my new insurance, I paid $60 participation. But perhaps it could be gotten for less with differen ins. programs.

I didn't have normal acne but this is what worked for my backne..

Up until a year or so ago I had a decent case of backne..

I have had it for many years and all the anti-acne products that I have tried never really made much of an impact.. I normally used those shower scrubs and they all had Salicylic acid as an ingredient in them.

When I went for some dental surgery I had to take aspirin and found out I had an aspirin allergy..

Thru some googling I discovered that Salicylic acid is a derivative of aspirin..

As soon as I stopped using those anti-acne products and just use a plain old anti bacterial soap my backne went away within a couple of weeks..

Gone.. till this day I haven't had a flare up...and to think I was making it worse by putting all that crap on my back in the shower..

Of course.. this was just my experience about it and it turned out to be an allergy. that doesn't mean I think acne is an allergy.. just passing along my experience..

I used Diane as a BC pill years ago and it started clearing up the skin a little bit, but it didn't last long. I mean, continued to use the pill, but my skin did not improve anymore. Guys, if you haven't tried Ziana, try it, for me it works perfectly. It's a prescription dru though and if you don't have insurance, it's going to cost you over $250, but it lasts for 2-3 months. With my new insurance, I paid $60 participation. But perhaps it could be gotten for less with differen ins. programs.

Really? I have been on it for two years, or are you talking about for longer than that? I guess every situation is different.

Ok so this Ziana, is it a pill or topical? My acne came from under the skin (more like cysts than actual pimples) and they were really painful. Topical treamtments just did not take care of them, but for two years + Diane 35 has been working like a charm.

RecordProducer
Really? I have been on it for two years, or are you talking about for longer than that? I guess every situation is different.

Ok so this Ziana, is it a pill or topical? My acne came from under the skin (more like cysts than actual pimples) and they were really painful. Topical treamtments just did not take care of them, but for two years + Diane 35 has been working like a charm.

Oh, no, I used Diane 35 maybe for a few months or a year, it was long time ago, I don't remember anymore.

About Ziana I wrote above, post #4. It's a transparent gel. Very convenient, invsible, dries on your skin within a minute, doesn't smell or taste (you can make love with it on your face ;)). If you still have problematic skin, definitely try Ziana. It's a prescription drug. Hopefully you have insurance.

I used to have severe cyst acne when i was 25.

I used Accutane & it was my MIRACLE drug.

It does have a lot of side effects, but looking like my face did, i was willing to risk it & all i got was dry lips!!

THANK GOD FOR ACCUTANE!1!