Finally lost five pounds!

Funny that I am starting this thread when Myst has one going about people rubbing their healthy habits in her face but WOOHOO! The hard works is finally paying off. (Besides, Myst, I swear, I never tell other people how to run their lives, unless, that is, they happen to be an alcohol happy ex-boyfriend).

I took on quite a few pounds last winter (I would say about 10-12) and have been struggling to lose weight for awhile, which is new for me.

Anyways, I have been trying to shed pounds for months now, by going to the gym and watching what I eat to no avail. In 3 months I had lost 2 pounds....

But, all of a sudden, it seems my body has clicked into weight loss mode: in the last week, without changing much in my habits, I lost three pounds. So, in total, I have lost 5 pounds! Woohoo!

YESSSS! I am proud of me and patting myself on the back. And thanks to those of you who encouraged me to keep going and be patient when I tackled the issue.

5 more to go...

• 2 weeks later...

I'm also in diet and exercise mode, trying to lose at least 10 lbs. My dream would be to lose 20...

I guess the absolute first thing you need is to reach your personal "point of disgust." The point where you have the guts to weigh yourself every day and say "This is the fattest I've ever been, and I refuse to go up any further!"

You also have to stay away from people and situations that make you blow your eating plan. This is kind of tough.

I am having some success getting started by not worrying SO much about what sort of foods I'm going to eat, but instead first working on (a) cutting out the big fat items (butter, fried foods, cheese, etc), (b) making the portions smaller and © having 4 meals a day with no in between snacks. Also, I never eat after 9 p.m.

And then of course exercise: I'm walking a mile or more every day (up rather hilly terrain). I'm doing this with a GPS receiver so I can track exactly how far I go and what my moving average (mph) is. So even when I'm on the flats, I still have to work to keep up the average.

I'm in a bad spot re exercise because due to my small frame, even 10 extra pounds puts pressure on my knees. I have to lose this weight especially because it's just killing my knees. But with these bad knees, it's hard to do vigorous exercise.

Have been at it for a week and have lost 3 lbs already. I wonder when I'll hit the wall?