How can I get rid of my belly fat?

lifeasiknowit

Hi there ya'll,

I have an issue with the extra fat around my midsection. I've read that spot muscle training is a myth, and to lose stomach fat, one has to lose weight in general. The only problem is that I'm a fairly thin person who happens to have a belly. I'm 5 4' and 110 pounds.

When I wear form fitting tops, I look strange, because I'm so thin everywhere else, but then there's this belly that just sticks out, and rolls out a bit over my pants. I don't need to lose weight anywhere else. My guess is to just do sit ups, but is that enough? Do I really have to lose weight in general to get rid of my excess belly fat?

I am pretty thin (5'7"- 110 lbs)... but I got a bit of belly fat from indulging in a little too much beer lately...lol).

Anyway- I did a "fat cleanse" these past two weeks so I could fit back into last summer's pants and tops. I actually lost 8 lbs and flattened out again. This was in two weeks!

Water- lots of water helps immensely... drink at least a litre a day.

No, you don't have to lose weight- you're obviously thin. Doing crunches and sit ups don't help- because you develop the muscles under the fat. The only way to get rid of it is to lose the fat... and that comes from cardio.

Try a cleanse- it worked wonders for me.

My belly flattened out again in a matter of two weeks.

PM me if you want details on the brand I used..

D

• Author
lifeasiknowit

By "fat cleanse", do you mean eating lots of fiber and drinking lots of water, or did you use a specific product?

Anyways, thanks for the advice!

Yes, I did a cleanse program.

I bought it at the drug store.

"Vivitas Fat Cleanse".

Took me down a pant size.

are you sure it's belly fat, and just not weak stomach muscles making your stomach protrude?

• 4 weeks later...

if you just do crunches and such, you can actually build ab muscles out giving you that belly look (this happens to me-as a girl with a pot belly, i never understood why that french girl in pulp fiction wanted one so much!). it sounds like since you're so skinny that may be the problem rather than lots of excess fat. i find pilates exercises for my abs really flatten my tummy. you're supposed to suck your stomach in while you do them to keep the muscles from building out. when i'm actually good about doing them (i haven't been in a while) i really do notice a difference.

Lauriebell82

Running does it for me. It works out your whole body actually, but when you run a lot it gives you a completely flat stomach.

Gatormaniac

You can do crunches until you can't do any more and still have belly fat. What you will have is nicely developed ab muscles covered up by belly fat. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but to rid yourself of belly fat requires a lot of discipline and work.

1) A proper diet is critical. A low fat diet high in protein, vegetables, fruit, fiber rich foods, etc. Calorie intake also needs to be closely watched. Fatty meats and too many carbs are the enemy!! I don't recommend protein supplements that load you with protein, especially soy protein. The only supplement I use are good protein bars. I can't remember the name of the ones I use but they contain 20g of protein ( from whey rather than soy ) and only 1g carb and 1g sugar and taste better than a candy bar!:laugh: I weight train and the only time I use them is about 20 minutes before I begin training. Other than that I get my protein from food as supplements are harder on the digestive system.

2) A proper excersize program is a must as well and consistency is crucial! Weight training is my thing, but the only way to rid yourself of fat is aerobic excersize. I'm older and have knee issues so running is not an option. Instead, I do fast walking which is proven to be just as good as jogging but without the joint stress. Also, when I weight train, I take only 30-45 seconds between sets rather than 90. This keeps the heart rate up and turns your weight training session into an aerobic workout. The good news is you don't have to do a ton of ab specific excersizes. Twice a week is fine if you're putting in your aerobic work. Be careful of the type of ab excersizes you do, you can easily damage your back! When you do your ab work, do not stress your back and concentrate on working only the abs.

Too much for you? Well, you asked!!:D

• 2 weeks later...
Independence_Day

I wanted to say thank you to all you people. I'm not necessarily fat, but I do have fat on my stomach....which is weird because the rest of me is fit.

Lookingforward

not to t/j OP, but what about post pregnancy belly fat guys ? My kid has this problem now -she's 21, she never gained much anywhere else, but now she has what I call more of a pudding top than a muffin top thing going on and just can't seem to shake it off.....and it's been 5 months.

Any viewpoints appreciated and I'll pass them on.

Hi there ya'll,

I have an issue with the extra fat around my midsection. I've read that spot muscle training is a myth, and to lose stomach fat, one has to lose weight in general. The only problem is that I'm a fairly thin person who happens to have a belly. I'm 5 4' and 110 pounds.

When I wear form fitting tops, I look strange, because I'm so thin everywhere else, but then there's this belly that just sticks out, and rolls out a bit over my pants. I don't need to lose weight anywhere else. My guess is to just do sit ups, but is that enough? Do I really have to lose weight in general to get rid of my excess belly fat?

I am also very thin and had the same problem after having 3 kids. I started power walking three days per week and cut down my intake of carbs. Within a few shorts week, I saw a major diff. I now feel great wearing a bikini. Good luck.

AP:)

littletoes

Hi there. Littel question do u drink loads of pop?????? If so I would cut down on the sugar intake and do lots of stomach crunches. Also if u eat alot of fatty foods cut down on that as well as bread and eat little portions of food instead of big portions that what I do to keep in tip top shape

Ok crunches simply won't work. BUT as someone else mentioned earlier sometimes we have flabby stomachs due to lack of muscle tone beneath, when you build musle beneath it will tighten the midsection but will NOT get rid of that fat

what WILL get rid of the fat is doing cardio that works your leg muscles, the legs have the biggest muscles in our bodies therefore we burn more calories when we work those muscles. if you build leg muscles it speeds up your metabolism therefore you burn more fat. but the key is diet. you must diet on a mediterranean style diet, fish/poultry very little red meat, veggies and fruit, little dairy little carbs very little carbs and some wine.

lastly the way fat loss works is that your body is designed to lose weight all over not just in one specific area if you do spot training so keep that in mind. ;)

PS forget the protein bars, shakes, forget the suplements forget ALL THAT CRAP, your rule of thumb when eating should be "if it comes in a cellophane rapper, skip it. it is is NOT natural and it is not good for you. eat natural foods and you will find how satisfying it is, your blood sugar levels will be evened out hence you will have less cravings and you won't feel hungry all the time.

also when doing your grocery shopping always shop the bulk of your food from the outer parts of the store all the stuff that is good for your is along the 3 walls that make the store up, so

1. fresh produce

2. meats

3. dairy / breads/ grains

(4. being the checkout wall)

all the inner isles of prepackaged stuff is mostly crap, no matter how low in fat the labels state ;)

Lookingforward
Ok crunches simply won't work. BUT as someone else mentioned earlier sometimes we have flabby stomachs due to lack of muscle tone beneath, when you build musle beneath it will tighten the midsection but will NOT get rid of that fat

what WILL get rid of the fat is doing cardio that works your leg muscles, the legs have the biggest muscles in our bodies therefore we burn more calories when we work those muscles. if you build leg muscles it speeds up your metabolism therefore you burn more fat. but the key is diet. you must diet on a mediterranean style diet, fish/poultry very little red meat, veggies and fruit, little dairy little carbs very little carbs and some wine.

lastly the way fat loss works is that your body is designed to lose weight all over not just in one specific area if you do spot training so keep that in mind. ;)

PS forget the protein bars, shakes, forget the suplements forget ALL THAT CRAP, your rule of thumb when eating should be "if it comes in a cellophane rapper, skip it. it is is NOT natural and it is not good for you. eat natural foods and you will find how satisfying it is, your blood sugar levels will be evened out hence you will have less cravings and you won't feel hungry all the time.

also when doing your grocery shopping always shop the bulk of your food from the outer parts of the store all the stuff that is good for your is along the 3 walls that make the store up, so

1. fresh produce

2. meats

all the inner isles of prepackaged stuff is mostly crap, no matter how low in fat the labels state ;)

and anyone concerned with whether the chocolate or icecream is lowfat needs intervention

with_out_a_safteynet

Here is a simple way stay way from fried food and soft drinks....instead of a coke grab water... and watch what you eat and work out like 3x or 4x a week...if you stay true to this you will be ok

-Actually LOW CARB high fat diets (atkins, Ketogenic, Anabolic diet, Maximum Definition Diet etc) have 70% higher abdominal fat loss than just normal calorie restriction. This is due to many factors including improved insulin sensitivity.

-Of course with any form of dieting you can stall quickly. After 2 weeks the body becomes catabolic and starts to break down muscle tissue. So AIM for FULL body workouts, Bench press, squats and lunges etc.

-Maintaining and IMPROVING your metabolism is crutial. SITUPS WILL NOT DUE!!!! dont be a sedentary person...You should aim to be HIGHLY active in all parts of your day. If your going to workout...SPEND 45 mins in the gym or at home doing a LARGE variety of exersises to stimulate the body for growth and fatloss. Full body workouts are incredibly effective in burning more calories than just single muscle group ones. Contrary to popular belief as well. Exercise accounts for more improved health and body sculpting than just dieting alone. So do both!!!

-Train by running, using stationary bike, using HIIT (high intensity interval training) its by far the most effective for fatloss, i would recommend about 20min for 3-5days a week. (2min High intensity at 90% of your max RUNNING or JOGGING, and 2 mins lower intensity or powerwalking) switching back and forth until you hit 20mins. Strive to make progress over time as well instead of completing same level each time. On the other days do Weight lifting or Cardio directly after weights.

DIET:

If you dont want to use above mentioned low carb diets. Then only eat carbs that have a minimal impact on insulin levels. AVOID SUGARS, HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, use artificial sweeteners(in moderation). Eat a portion of Protein chicken breast, beef, eggs, a portion of veggies and A SERVING of fruit (not always a whole fruit) and eat 5 meals at day...this also stimulates metabolism greatly which will aid fatloss greatly.

-Legumes

-Fruits, apples, oranges, apricots, peaches, pears, blueberries. THERES ALOT!

-ALL dark green veggies, are mostly fiber So fill up when you need to snack! and be guilt free

-Light yogurt

-dark grains, barely, brown rice, oat bran, 100 percent whole wheat tortillas

-sweet potatoes

Legs are easily stimulated, same for lower back if you did deadlifts or back extensions. They release lactic acid, that burning feeling you get from a good pump workout. In turn releases GROWTH HORMONE. Thats very important for fatloss! ALL LARGE MUSCLE GROUPS should be worked really. CHEST, LOWER BACK, LEGS....etc

if your very overweight, and your bodyfat is stored in your belly primarly then you would technically lose it their in majority. SPOT reduction doesnt work because you cant PICK. but it does happen...so your right in that sense

AGREED, supplements are junk for lazy people. Not only that most of them are just AS BAD as candy bars and filled with low quality proteins that give little benefit. It will more than likely stall your progress. pick FRESH PRODUCE. your goal should always be good health and fitness!

1. fresh produce

2. meats

Exactly...learn to shop smart and your halfway there already. PREPARE your meals ahead of time dont get preservative/sodium filled crap. Most of the nutrients are destroyed by being cured in them. AVOID... If you can, get meats from GRASS fed animals, same with dairy.