Constipation Solutions...

And don't say, "Just do it!" :D

Seriously, it is not about me, but a lady friend (no, not an OW) who has it seriously to the point of nausea. (No sh*t! :D Okay, the jokes are all done...maybe.)

What treatments/preventions/medications have you (and you refers to those who have a big problem with constipation) used successfully?

Trialbyfire

It's like backing anything up, like your computer. You must pass...the information... :p

Ummm...fibre, like Metamucil. Drink plenty of water...yes, real water!! Sugar also acts like a natural diahrretic.

Mustang Sally

Miralax (or glycolax). It's OTC in the states and not a cathartic. It can be used for long-term bowel maintenance without any significant side affects because it is not systemically absorbed.

Also, increasing fiber and fluid (water) oral intake.

:)

I have a solution.

The other day I was settling onto the throne with the express desire to evacuate my bowels.

At the commencement of evacuation I sneezed. It was a cracker of a sneeze, totally unexpected.

Well my normally comfortable evacuation that lasts for a few minutes was over in a millisecond. It was a shocking uncomfortable experience, it felt as though my entire gastro-testinal tract was open from nasal passage to anal passage.

And sounded like someone had fired an anti-tank missile down the toilet.

Not something I would like to experience again, but I think snuff would be a good answer to constipation.

Echo hydration and fiber. Also, regular exercise promotes bowel regularity. For me the single biggest issue has always been adequate hydration. IOW, drinking before I'm thirsty.

Has the lady in question had a recent physical? If she is as serious as you say, there may be a medical reason. Couldn't hurt to get checked out.

Mustang Sally
Has the lady in question had a recent physical? If she is as serious as you say, there may be a medical reason. Couldn't hurt to get checked out.

How right you are.

I should temper my previous response with the explanation that I was presuming the lady in question was of known good health and had no other significant medical issues (such as hypothyroidism, etc).

Trialbyfire

A-void iron rich meats, unless she's iron poor or deficient. Also a-void carbs that don't contain fibre. Always consume multi-grain breads and whole wheat pastas.

Plenty of veggies. Fruits like bananas, are high fibre.

Nice username. How appropriate for this thread :)

Adding, my mom was hypothyrodic and prone to constipation. Luckily, after becoming demented, we used Aricept and a known side-effect was loose stools. Worked out great because she was prone to bleeding strokes and we all know what straining on the loo can do to intracranial blood pressure.

Edited by carhill

Flax seeds and flax seed oil are reputed for keeping people regular. Just add a teaspoon of the oil to your regular salad dressing. (Don't cook it).

And, of course fiber. I have IBS and saw various doctors at various moments until, at a perticularly bad flare, the doctor prescribed: All Bran. She told me to put it in everything I eat for a weak, from adding some to my regular cereals to adding some to my spagetthi sauce or even soups.

It worked. I haven't had a flare since then (two years ago) because every time I have a slight symptom I take out the All Bran (use the traditionnal, not the new kinds, they have less fiber).

• Author

Yes, full scans of stomach, gall bladder, pancreas and the works.

And thanks for the ideas. I will "pass" them along. However, this constipation is a difficult and hard one....certainly not one solved with simple solutions.

I do think she said Metamucil has worked the best.

A triple shot coffee does it for me every time.

Now the next question will be..."What can I do to stop the frequency of urination?" :laugh:

• Author

Why do some usernames seems appropriate for this thread? :laugh:

Seriously, thanks. I will mention sex and see if that is taken seriously.

One of those pills you shove up the ass to help you poop. I forget what they're called.

Isn't that the purple headed pill ? :).. that might make it worse...

You mean an Ex lax suppository ?

Coffee get the bowels moving in the morning...

climbergirl

Ordinarily, constipation is due to voluntary reflexes not working properly-for what reason, I don't know.

But to get them working again, the above mentioned water, exercise, and fiber are good suggestions. But if she wants to go the laxative route, those containing bran are the best...least 'side' affects and promote the reflex. Those containing mineral oil can cause liver damage and those with chemical stimulants can damage the reflex.

Miralax (or glycolax). It's OTC in the states and not a cathartic. It can be used for long-term bowel maintenance without any significant side affects because it is not systemically absorbed.

Also, increasing fiber and fluid (water) oral intake.

:)

Listen to Mustang! (She sounds just like the doctor's I work with! PS! I love what you had to say on the man with baby thing! Settled an argument here at work! You should start a medical thread!)

Also, just try taking some Magnesium! That works good for me!

Cheers!

Have her drink a quart of warm, salty water. Then get out of the way.

Yeah, stand behind her, safest place. Thats likley to come out the wrong end. :)

I have the opposite problem sometimes, lol. But then again, my diet is really high in fiber.

Try this for breakfast:

A giant bowl of Shredded Wheat N' Bran cereal, with 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed, 2 tbsp wheat germ, and blueberries on top. All in milk, of course. I would estimate there's probably over 20 grams of fiber in that meal alone.

This is one of my staples for breakfast. I generally have a bowl movement about halfway through the cereal. :lmao:

If you're not running to the toilet after that meal, let me know. I have a buckwheat pancake recipe that works well too.