Since December (when I started my new job) I have had the worst trouble trying to fall asleep. I seem to have more anxiety in my life than ever before and think that might be part of my problem. I try to avoid drama late at night, drink sleepytime tea, dont watch TV or eat before bed. I try to go to bed at around 10-11pm, but I dont usually fall asleep until around midnight-1am, and when I do, its a very light sleep. Then i wake up around 4:30-5am and am up for the rest of the day. When my boyfriend sleeps in bed with me, I sleep pretty well, but we have an LDR so he doesn't sleep with me consistently.

I tend to have a lot going on in my mind. First it was the job, then it was my current relationsip, then it was the graduate school i was applying for, then my ex BF comes back into my life, etc...

Anyone have any Non-prescription methods for falling asleep? My boyfriend suggested hypnotism, but I really dont know much about it.

I feel like I only get around 12 hours of sleep in a workweek and I need help!

whichwayisup

It's okay to have a light snack before you go to bed - Some fruit or yoghurt...

Try having doing some yoga for 10 minutes, then have a bath, then read a book in bed, see if that helps you get sleepy enough to fall asleep.

The deep breathing and visualization can help you fall asleep, go to your local bookstore and check the CD section on relaxation and meditation.

• Author
It's okay to have a light snack before you go to bed - Some fruit or yoghurt...

Try having doing some yoga for 10 minutes, then have a bath, then read a book in bed, see if that helps you get sleepy enough to fall asleep.

The deep breathing and visualization can help you fall asleep, go to your local bookstore and check the CD section on relaxation and meditation.

Thanks! I've tried the bath thing, meditation too. I quietly say to myself as i'm falling asleep (with each breath) "clear" (breathe in) "Mind" (breathe out), but still, my thoughts get the best of me. My college professor would call it "monkey chatter" of the mind. Its true. Do you know anything about hypnotism?

Trialbyfire

One word...EXERCISE!! The more you do, the more you'll find that sleep comes easier.

I've been doing yoga/pilates 5 - 7 times per week and walking from 1 - 7 miles, everytime the weather permits (fairweather walker ;) ), for years. In the past, it included swimming, kick boxing and skiing, amongst other sports.

Also, take a look at your stress level, as you appear to be doing. How can you either remove this stress from your life or learn to absorb it, to a more manageable level? Exercise helps and some way to reduce obsessive thought patterns. I've found that when I look at things pragmatically, it stops me from obsessing.

What it's done, is when I sleep, I crash 99% of the time. I should add that I don't sleep more than 4 - 6 hours every night, needing one day of much longer sleep, per week. It seems to work for me and I don't get burnt out.

whichwayisup
but still, my thoughts get the best of me.

I sometimes need the TV on, so I doze off that way. I don't think anything..

whichwayisup
Do you know anything about hypnotism?

No, but I do know relaxation and breathing techniques which helps with stress and anxious feelings, I guess that's about as close to hynotism that I know..It works! Just need to find a cozy and safe place in your mind, let your body go and just breathe deeply..

If you google tips for good sleep.. you'll get good advices.

Exercices though is not good if done in the evening.. it has to be done in the morning or afternoon.. otherwise you won't be able to sleep.. I know I can't... I get too 'high'... you need to decompress... ;)

• Author
If you google tips for good sleep.. you'll get good advices.

Exercices though is not good if done in the evening.. it has to be done in the morning or afternoon.. otherwise you won't be able to sleep.. I know I can't... I get too 'high'... you need to decompress... ;)

yes, I agree. i used to work out after work (around 730pm) and I was REALLY energized. I just dont have time in the AM to workout. I take dance classes on Tues Evenings.

Thanks for the tips.

• Author
S E X !!!! :bunny: trust me.. it works. ;)

Trust me....

I'm having sex...with my BF, and with myself. It doesn't help me. Thanks though

Valerian has helped me fall asleep and stay asleep.

It's an herb that is commonly sold as a dietary supplement or in tea form. Check this link from Wikipedia which contains all the information you'd need about it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valerian_(herb)

It's very effective in any form you take it, completely natural and no side effects if taken in correct dosages.

-E

Melatonin is the natural substance that your body/brain creates to regulate your biological clock/sleep patterns.

It comes in herbal form (plants) and from animials. I take the herbal form which comes in 3, 5 mg and 3 mmg (micromilligrams)

You'll have to experiment with it?

Its safe, its natural, it non-addicitve? In the Vitamin and Nutrition Center of WalMart?

Its non-persecription, and over the counter?

The reason you will have to experiment with it is because of you height~body mass weight?

I'm 6'1" and 200 lbs?

Two 5 mg leaves me waking up groggy ~ so I stick with one - 5 mg

A 5 mg + a couple of 3mmg (micrograms) are about right for me?

It won't knock you out? Such that you can't wake up and tend to children? Light will wake you up? (Even through closed eye-lids) So will a crying baby!

It will quite your thoughts and your worries? And allow you to get some sleep!

The right dosage? For me? Would be one 5 mg

• Author

Hey group,

Thanks so much for all of your advice. This past weekend, I took melatonin (only 2MG) and it knocked me out in about 20-30 minutes. I slept pretty well, but woke up when the sun came out (6am). I was able to go back to sleep until 9am, which is like a world record for me. I actually think 2mg was too much, as I was kind of out of it for the rest of the day, and throughout the weekend. Last night, I didnt take any, but slept very deeply. I think I'll only take 1MG from now on. I wasn;t groggy at all, just a bit dazed, and I did have some vivid dreams, but i didn't mind.

My boyfriend has also been here all weekend, so the real test will begin on Weds...the night he leaves. I have always slept well with him in bed with me. Anyway, thanks so very much for all of your advice.