I haven't lost an ounce!

I just went to the gym for the fourth time in five days, feeling pretty good about myself.

But I weight myself, and I haven't lost an ounce. How long does it usually take to see results?

See, the thing is, I don't really want to change my diet. I like my diet, it's pretty balanced, there's no big extremes (I'm not a fan of junk food).

I don't necessarly feel like it's important to lose weight. I gained 8-10 pounds since August but they kind of went to all the right places: my chest and my lovely, round, behind. But, at the same time, I would like to be able to fit back into my skinny jeans. Especially since I can't afford a whole new wardrobe.

I'm just wondering if this isn't the dreaded metabolism changes that I have heard rumored to happen to women in their 30s: something about your body changes and there isn't much you can do about it. Does anyone know this to be trur or untrue?

• Author
Just keep at it. You are gaining muscle as you lose fat, and muscle weighs MUCH more than fat. Don't get on the scale. Just keep going for a few more weeks and take note of how your clothes are fitting. You'll see a change!

Yeah I wanted to wait until next Monday at least, but then the scale was right there and no one was around. (My weight is state secret).

Does anyone have an opinion about whether or not it is harder to lose weight as you get older?

Does anyone have an opinion about whether or not it is harder to lose weight as you get older?

In my case I would say yes. Not so much that it is harder, just that you have to change things to maintain or lose. Consistency is key.

On average it takes about 3 months to see any marked differences.

Forget the scale and get a tape measure.

• Author
In my case I would say yes. Not so much that it is harder, just that you have to change things to maintain or lose. Consistency is key.

Are there any kind of changes that you would recommand?

Are there any kind of changes that you would recommand?

Well, every body is different to what it will respond to or what activity you enjoy.

It sounds like you eat healthy and that is good. When I was in (better) shape I walked everyday. A couple of miles in the am and a couple in the evening (everyday) and that little (consistent) action melted 10 or more pounds off.

Cardio stuff for losing and weight lifting for shaping is the basic idea.

Kam, take your measurements NOW. Neck, forearm, upperarm, bust, waist at the thinnest point, hips at the widest point, mid-thigh and calf.

I haven't lost any pounds in the past month, but I've lost inches. Crazy inches. I too got frustrated that the scale wasn't moving, but when I saw that in one month I had lost 2 inches off my waist (and another inch since that!), I was very pleased.

But that having been said, you're not going to see physical results in 4 days. Patience, buttercup. Focus on the other benefits you're seeing already - boost in mood, energy, etc.

Also, if you've gained weight, your diet IS to blame. While exercise is important for a healthy lifestyle and whatnot, it shouldn't be required to keep the weight off. If your diet is doing what it should, you shouldn't be gaining or losing weight - you'd be consuming just enough.

• Author
Well, every body is different to what it will respond to or what activity you enjoy.

It sounds like you eat healthy and that is good. When I was in (better) shape I walked everyday. A couple of miles in the am and a couple in the evening (everyday) and that little (consistent) action melted 10 or more pounds off.

Cardio stuff for losing and weight lifting for shaping is the basic idea.

Yeah I've been trying to brainstorm what I could change in my diet, and unless I choose to go down the 'drastic' road, there really isn't much. I eat whole grains, choose fish whenever possible (because it's my favorite source of protein), 60% of my plate is veggies, dessert is usually fruits or yogurt. I do have a weakness for cheese, but even there, I prefer goat cheese or a bit of really strong parmegianno to the fattier cheeses. I also eat dark chocolate on a regular basis, but usually something like 1/4 of a tablet every 3 days or so (a european chocolate tablet lasts me one week). I mean, I could cut out the chocolate, but that just seems draconian to me.

I think I will keep exercising regurlarly, focus on the increased energy and how good I feel, and hope that soon soon soon my clothes start fitting better.

• Author
Also, if you've gained weight, your diet IS to blame. While exercise is important for a healthy lifestyle and whatnot, it shouldn't be required to keep the weight off. If your diet is doing what it should, you shouldn't be gaining or losing weight - you'd be consuming just enough.

Absolutely agree. My diet changed when I was basically living with bf: pasta, white crusty bread, richer food in general and the occasional junk food outing.

I've reverted to my old habits a month ago, but Monday was the first day I weight myself since then. I'm thinking I probably lost a pound or two in the last month, but can't be sure. Clothes do feel a little bit less tight.

I don't have a tape measure but I will get one.

And I like being called buttercup.

patience patience patience. It's all about enjoying the process. And I do.

Absolutely agree. My diet changed when I was basically living with bf: pasta, white crusty bread, richer food in general and the occasional junk food outing.

I've reverted to my old habits a month ago, but Monday was the first day I weight myself since then. I'm thinking I probably lost a pound or two in the last month, but can't be sure. Clothes do feel a little bit less tight.

I don't have a tape measure but I will get one.

And I like being called buttercup.

patience patience patience. It's all about enjoying the process. And I do.

Get the tapemeasure as soon as you can, Buttercup. :) (Make sure it's the soft kind, you know the kind I mean?) That's the most exciting way to watch your progress, IMO. Even my neck and forearm have shrunk a little!

Quiksilver ca

Kamille, this is the trap that most gym-goers fall into.

"I've been hitting the gym like mad, why am I gaining/staying the same weight?"

Losing bodyfat takes patience.

You MIGHT lose 1-2lbs in the first week, but generally, healthy weight loss happens in the 1lbs/week range. Your weight can fluctuate throughout the day and week(water, food), so don't trust the weightscale. Trust the mirror.

1lbs of bodyfat = 3500 kcals

average day of food = 2000kcals

Your goal is to create a calorie deficit(simple maths). A healthy deficit is roughly 200-350 LESS calories per day, so eat in the 1650-1800kcal range each day. Every 10 days, through diet alone, you will lose 1 lbs of fat that won't come back in a hurry.

You might ask "Well why not starve myself and lose that weight in 2 days???"

My answer is... Your body just doesn't work like that. Bodyfat is stored in times of physical/emotional stress, so starving yourself(stress) might serve to trick your body for a very short time, but right after that, that same weight AND more will just come back.

It's hard to explain in one post, but the three key ingredients in healthy weight(bodyfat) loss are:

A. Gym/Exercise, both cardiovascular and muscular

B. Good Diet, no starving/fasting, and no binge-eating.

C. Patience, it takes more time than most people would like to take, to lose weight that won't come back so soon.

I want to see you in the gym 4 or 5 days a week for 8-12 weeks, then tell me about "WTF, not losing any weight."

I am confident that your mind will have changed by then.

Good luck

Edited by Quiksilver ca
Yeah I wanted to wait until next Monday at least, but then the scale was right there and no one was around. (My weight is state secret).

Well, I think it's a misconception. Age really only is to blame indirectly. I believe that the majority of these things that make it harder, are by-products of getting older. Such as a less active lifestyle (you just don't have the vigor that you did when you were younger, due to the aging process). Scientifically, I'm pretty sure the process for losing weight is the same as when you're in your prime. Unfortunately... the aches, pains, sedentary lifestyle, lack of time, physical decline (due to the aging process), etc... all make losing weight much harder than when you're younger.

In a nutshell, we age due to the cells that power our body, releasing free-radicals. These free-radicals cause damage to our cellular structure. Your body can repair this damage, but it gets overwhelmed eventually. Once this happens, the damage starts to cause lasting effects (thus beginning our physical decline).

I guess this could have an effect on our ability to lose weight, but I think all the other factors that I mentioned, have far more to do with it.

Diet is the main factor. I've tried 3 different ways:

1) Just exercise. When I was younger (early teens up until about 20) had a crappy diet (fast food, soft drinks, etc.) but lifted weights 6 days a week. Weighed 190 lbs. and had a 34" waist.

2) Just diet. A few years ago (when I was about 24) I couldn't exercise for about a year. During that time I was real anal about my diet, eating mostly healthy food and almost no fast food. Weighed 155 lbs. with a 31" waist.

3) Diet and exercise. Today (I'm 28) I lift weights 5 days a week and have maintained my healthy diet. I weigh 170 with 31" waist.

The moral of the story for me is that diet has the biggest influence. I don't put much into the age thing. Age obviously isn't a huge factor since I have a smaller waist than I did when I was 19 (or 15 for that matter). At the time, I couldn't figure out why I couldn't get a six pack of abs with all of my exercise. Only later did I discover it was because of my diet and the 6 packs of beer I was downing. :laugh:

Since you've only gotten back to your old habits a month ago, it'll take some time for your body to readjust, but sounds like you're doing the right thing. Plus, you're only 10 lbs. overweight. You don't really have much left to lose. It'll probably come off slowly. If you want to lose faster try gaining 100 lbs. ;)

Have you ever seen the "Supersize Me" documentary film? It was about a guy who lived off of McDonald's for a month. If that documentary doesn't convince you how important diet is nothing will, lol.

And just to add, it took the guy who did the documentary 14 months to lose the 25 lbs. he gained. So don't get too frustrated.

Plus if the weight made your boobs and butt bigger and nothing else most guys would like that (or at least I would). :D

• Author

Fral, I am actually a bit torn about losing the weight. On the one hand, my clothes no longer fit me well, which is annoying. On the other, I actually like my body like this.

I think I will just keep focusing on how good the gym makes me feel in general.

I did see Supersized Me. Glad to say I haven't gone to a burger fast food since 2002. My bf is addicted to one of our local fish and chip shack, and once a month he absolutely has to have some. Since I introduced him to the shack, he believes it just won't taste the same unless I'm with him. And well, I have to say that my love of sea food make battered deep fried fish a weakness of mine.

littlekitty

Kamille I agree that's too fast to except to see a weight drop.

But I am of the 'it sure is harder to lose/maintain weight in your 30's' group.

I used to eat/drink all I wanted and would only put weight on at a very, very gradual pace. Cut back a bit for a month or so, it was all gone again.

Now I can't see to get rid of the damn weight. Since I hit 30, it's been an uphill struggle and I KNOW my metabolism has gone down the crapper. :mad:

• Author
Kamille I agree that's too fast to except to see a weight drop.

But I am of the 'it sure is harder to lose/maintain weight in your 30's' group.

I used to eat/drink all I wanted and would only put weight on at a very, very gradual pace. Cut back a bit for a month or so, it was all gone again.

Now I can't see to get rid of the damn weight. Since I hit 30, it's been an uphill struggle and I KNOW my metabolism has gone down the crapper. :mad:

Well Darkzen's explanation made sense to me, but at the same time, the reason I was asking is because I used to be able to see results within a week of getting back on an exercise program -and certainly within a month of healthy eating.

But I have yet to go get a tapemeasure

Have you changed the foods you've consumed. I mean really look at the fine print, no high fructose corn syrup, soda, caffinated drinks, being hydrated, etc... some juices still have lots of sugars.

If you have not lost an ounce... I would suggest going to the bathroom first before weighing yourself. ;):laugh::lmao:

Since you've been going to the gym, there can actually be a net neutral weight gain. You've lost body fat but you've gained muscle and ate better. My first month I actually gained weight then broke even then the weight went down a little.

littlekitty
...the reason I was asking is because I used to be able to see results within a week of getting back on an exercise program -and certainly within a month of healthy eating.

Me too. And my hubby. We both agree things are getting much harder now we're in our 30's. He's a bodybuilder (of sorts) so he's used to putting in the effort, but even he admits it's taking him that much longer these days. :eek:

Most people I chat with seem to think it get's that little bit harder.

• Author
Have you changed the foods you've consumed. I mean really look at the fine print, no high fructose corn syrup, soda, caffinated drinks, being hydrated, etc... some juices still have lots of sugars.

If you have not lost an ounce... I would suggest going to the bathroom first before weighing yourself. ;):laugh::lmao:

Since you've been going to the gym, there can actually be a net neutral weight gain. You've lost body fat but you've gained muscle and ate better. My first month I actually gained weight then broke even then the weight went down a little.

Oh I changed my diets ages ago based on the criterias you describe: fresh veggies, brown rice, beans, grains and mostly fish as a source of protein. Lots of fruits and yogurt (right now I take plain yogurts and add fruits and a bit of cereal) and once in awhile, some dark chocolate (4 to 6 squares).

I rarely drink juice (mostly water).

I do have a weakness for pasta, but I've switched to wholewheat pasta.

Me too. And my hubby. We both agree things are getting much harder now we're in our 30's. He's a bodybuilder (of sorts) so he's used to putting in the effort, but even he admits it's taking him that much longer these days. :eek:

Most people I chat with seem to think it get's that little bit harder.

After 30 it does get harder to lose and much easier to gain.

I just went to the gym for the fourth time in five days, feeling pretty good about myself.But I weight myself, and I haven't lost an ounce. How long does it usually take to see results?

For some reason, whenever I went to the gym before, even if I went every day I never saw a change in my weight.

I found it a waste of time, or maybe it works for other people.

I was inspired by the women that go there regularly that looked really hot, but for some strange reason, it didnt help.

The only times that I managed to lose weght have been when I walked for an hour a day "every single day" (the pest) or now that I've been jogging.

Also, you've been eating much with your bf.

Every time I protest to my mom that I'm eating little and still not losing weight, she tells me that I eat too much. And usually she's right. You feel like you are not eating much but in reality you are way above the calories you should be eating to lose or even keep the weight.

Kamille,

He makes a good point. You butt just might be more muscular and toned but bigger. Not necessarily a bad thing. :laugh:

I gained 15 lbs. in the last 4 yrs., but that's mostly because of weight training (and obviously and increased appetite from that weight training, lol). It's important where you've gained the weight, if you're waist is relatively small, I think you're probably just fine. I still wear the same size pants I did 4 yrs. ago.

I do know people tend to gain it in different places first. I've heard for many women it's the hips and men it's the belly (which is definetly true for me). Every older male in my family (dad included) have giant bellies. I call it PMS (pregnant male syndrome). Some of them look like they're about to give birth! :eek: I know if I don't watch what I eat I'll end up looking like them.